PDA

View Full Version : Blue Lakes

ddmclw
07-04-2006, 08:33 PM
Well i just got back frome a great trip up to Wet Meadows. My girlfreind and i left friday morning and got back today.Thanks to a great post by brookies the final gate did open at noon on the dot! Thanks brookies. We arrived at the gate around 11:45 am. There were about 15 cars ahead of us. When the gate opened it was a race to the lakes! As we reached blue lakes we turned down Tamarack road headed for Wet Meadows.
We were the first car down the road and all i had on my mind was fishing! We came to the split in the road for Wet Meadows and Sunset Lakes road, and turned right to go to Wet Meadows. About 100 yards down the road a big pine blocked our way. There was no way around! My f-250 4x4 was way to big to try and wheel around through the mountain. So we backed up down the narrow road and headed to Sunset Lakes. We found a great campsite at Upper Sunset. Decided to set up camp and just relax the rest of the day.
On Saturday morning we headed up to Wet Meadows to do some fishin. We were going to hike up the road because of the tree in the way. When we arrived at the tree it was cut! So we got in the truck and drove all the way to the lake. The fishing stank! Not even a bite. That lake only has brook trout and they werent interested in any thing. Fished there from about 6:00 to 12:00. So we headed for camp ato eat some lunch.
After lunch and a short nap ;) we headed to lower Sunset. We got there around 6:00 pm. There were little fish jumping everywhere along the shoreline and mosquitos were everywhere. Bring lots of repellent!!!
Thought we might have some better luck here because of the variety of fish. Brook Rainbow and Cutthroat trout . Nope nothing!!!!. Tried everything in my bag. We left the lake at around 9:00 and back to camp for a good nights rest.
The next morning i told my girlfreing we were going back to Wet Meadows and we were going to hike around the lake. Wow what a hike! The lake is full so you have to walk through marshes and creekes and brush and rocks and mountains and well you get the point it a lot of hiking :-X. We were there all day and didnt get a bite. But we got a good work out. Back to camp we went skunked again!
Monday we decided to go to upper Blue lake. We got a late start fishing about 11:00am. At about 12 noon my pole starts doing a dance! I reel in the fish and its just a small planter. throughout the rest of the day i caught 4 more for a totall of 5 rainbows. One was about 18 inches a nice holdover. She was sqirting her eggs all over me. I released all the fish i caught, my girlfreind like to catch and releese evrything!
So our trip overall was nice and at least we didnt get skunked everyday. But if you plan on making a trip up there this month bring lots of mosquito repellent. Its cold at night and perfect during the day. It gets windy around 10am and quits around 7pm or so. Happy fishing to all!

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/5734/courtdust3gu.jpg

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/3959/trout23bn.jpg

skipper
07-04-2006, 08:42 PM
Nice report and pic's MM. What were they biting on?

ddmclw
07-04-2006, 08:59 PM
We used mini crawlers floated with Fl Orange Berkly Gulp floating salmon eggs. We had out 4 poles with diffrent color baits and the orange was the only pole that caught fish

badbobfishing33
07-05-2006, 09:23 AM
Wet Meadows and Sunset Lakes road??? I have been fishing Blue for years not familiar with that...?? Did they lable the roads or something??

Looks like the water is high! Good report!

LegCramp
07-05-2006, 01:22 PM
You take that left there at the junction up on top where the sign is to go to Tamarack and that will go to another junction, left to Sunset lake and right to wet meadows....Not sure on the wet meadows one, havent been there....

What is that lake named that you can get to if you go past Lower Blue and past Twin, the road used to get kind of bad with holes in it towards the end......Does anyone ever fish that lake? You have to hike down to it as the road stops there aruptly with a cliff......that lake has some decent native fish in it......

man when I lived in Tahoe Paradise I fished those lakes every sunday of every weekend they were thawed in my float tube for 6 years............those lakes had so many fish in them you could almost walk across the lake on their backs.......somedays it was hard to find an empty hole to get my tube into the water.... ;D.......lolololololol oh wait maybe that was the damage done to my brain from the cold soaking through my cutoffs and tennis shoes......LMAO

There is a sweet campspot on Sunset if you take that little road to the left that goes to the top of the mountain then drops down to the lake and campspot.......

We always floated out until we felt the temp change in the water then backed off of it and cast to it with silver/blue kastmasters......man it was pure catching mayhem with this method.......all day long.

ddmclw
07-05-2006, 08:24 PM
Ya, i think you are talking about Round Top Lake Or Lost lakes.
Round has brookies and rainbows while lost lakes has brookier and golden trout. I tried to get up there but the road had a 10 foot snow bank still on it. planning a trip up there soon. oh ya i almost forgot about Twin Lakes. Has brookies and cut throt.

Crazy_Angler
07-05-2006, 08:30 PM
Nice bow pic. ;)

badbobfishing33
07-06-2006, 07:41 AM
there are several lakes up near blue we have got fish in all of them some more than others...great area looks like the weather was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Mr_Ed
07-06-2006, 08:02 AM
On the east side of the main road you have:
Tamarack lake, Hellhole lake, Upper & lower Sunset lakes, Wet Mdws. lake

On the west side you have:
Upper & lower Blue lakes, Twin lake, Meadow lake, and above blue lake the two Lost Lakes.

One note: Don't ever forget the bug spray !

Enjoy Ed