PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking trout - Eastern Sierras

Baetis
07-05-2006, 07:45 PM
Hey Everyone,

I've got a week in August to hike in the Eastern Sierras with my family. They are in good shape ... so we can go a distance.

I'm looking for a place in the Eastern Sierras we can hike into. The ideal? A place that has some small streams we can flyfish (my son would love to catch a golden trout), a place that is beautiful (my wife's prerequisite) and some lakes to catch some fish with size. Oh, and we'd like to take our dog (big black lab) with us)

Any good backpacking ideas?

Thanks!

Baetis ...

FishSierras
07-05-2006, 09:23 PM
Treasure lakes out of Bishop Pass/creek near South Lake. Great views and not too hard of a hike. Well beaten trail. You need a wilderness permit and you might want to get on that soon. Good fishing for Goldens at the higher lakes too. How much experience do you have with topo maps?
http://www.etreking.com/eTreking/Pages/SouthSierraEast1.html (scroll down about half a page for a brief summation)

troutfan
07-06-2006, 02:46 AM
I have fished Long lake which is only a couple of miles from South Lake on the trailhead and the fishing is great! This is truly God's country!

Baetis
07-06-2006, 07:54 AM
Thanks to both of you - good stuff.

I'm good with a map and compass - and we are willing to travel further - 20+ miles ... does this change your recommendations at all?