PDA

View Full Version : Stumpy 7-3

LD
07-04-2006, 07:27 AM
I decided to head back up to Stumpy yesterday after the trip I posted about on 7-1. I went back with a good buddy of mine and got there a little earlier @ 6:30. Started out with our usual crawler and watermelon dodger on the downrigger @ 12 ft, and a crawler and rainbow trout dodger on top, @ 125 ft back. Fished as deep as 17 ft when it got a little warmer and we fished pretty much the same areas, on the shore opposite the ramp, to the far end, staying in 33-50 ft of water.
The results were the same as on the 1st, with 1 exception, MORE FISH. It was an incedible day of fishing, I do not even know how many were caught and released. *but I can say this, we went with 3 dozen crawlers, and came back with 4. I used up 16 hooks, as I forgot to post on the 1st, that the fish were hitting real hard and almost 3 out of 4 fish were swallowing the hooks, so I was cutting the leaders and releasing the fish.
It must be good fish karma when you teach a kid how to fish.
I will have to try that more often, as I had as much fun as he did that day, and the good luck has carried over.
Well, I have to go, the honeydo list is waiting...
LD

vito
07-04-2006, 09:48 AM
I used up 16 hooks, as I forgot to post on the 1st, that the fish were hitting real hard and almost 3 out of 4 fish were swallowing the hooks, so I was cutting the leaders and releasing the fish.

HUH???

troutfan
07-04-2006, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the great report Lite Drag! :) There's nothing like the look on a kid's face when he catches a fish!*Hey Vito it is widely accepted that taking care not to pull the fish from the water and cutting the leader near the mouth when the hook is too deep to extract *will result in mostly successful releases and the trout will survive! *The hook rots out in a few days due to the enzymes in the trout's digestive system.
Happy Fourth of July! :)

vito
07-05-2006, 09:10 AM
Ok. I When I catch a gut hooked fish, I keep it. When I catch my fifth gut hooked fish I'm done. That is just how I operate. I don't see the point in releasing "countless" gut hooked fish back into the lake. If I was having a problem with catching too many suicidal fish, I would switch to a larger hook, and then stop at 5. That is just my .02 cents.

LD
07-05-2006, 09:40 AM
Point well taken, but that was defiantly not the normal thing. *
Right now I am using a # 4 aberdeen style hook, what size would you recommend changing to? *Also, does it make a difference what type of material the hook is made of for catch and release? (Gold plate or bronze type) I would appreciate any advise you can give, as I would like to increase the chances of survival of the fish I release.
Thanks for yor input,
LD

ITUKAWAL
07-05-2006, 09:53 AM
Hey LD, fishin' in my backyard and doin' as well as you two did. Hey, your doing fine. #4's for that lake and those size Kokes - no problem.

Keep up doin' what yur doin' - I wouldn't mind have a day or two like that.

ITITIT

dirty3hirties
07-05-2006, 01:28 PM
lite_drag

Great job....sounded like you had a great time. I haven't had the chance to try Stumpy yet, but it's on my list. *sigh*.

Were you using sidekick dodgers? Or the "normal" ones.....I don't really know what size the "normal" ones are....4/0 I guess? :-?

LD
07-05-2006, 02:02 PM
I usually start out with the watermelon sidekick and treaded worm, and then I put out the rainbow trout color next. Almost always I use Berkley corn scent. If they are not hitting, I will go to the 4/0 (4") dodger. If things are still not moving, I put out behind whatever dodger is on the pole, my super secret grub.... Well its not a secret, but I have been using some crappie grubs that I found @ fishermans warehouse. The brand is called sliders and I have been using the orange and brown, and when worms dont work, I use those, and sometimes it really wakes them up! Also, if I get a lot of hits, but a lot of long distance releases, I will try those, they have a short "paddle tail" on them, and I seem to land more fish that way.
I hope that helps, it sure works for me.
LD

vito
07-05-2006, 05:09 PM
No harm, no foul. I am not judging nor pointing fingers. It is a free world. I am just more than a bit surprised to find out that is it considered status quo to fish all day while gut hooking wounded fish, just to release them and do it over and over again. Yes, if a person gut hooks a fish and releases it, there is a chance that the hook may not kill the fish, but I always thought that is something that was done when catching an undersize fish, or an otherwise unkeepable fish. I would never catch and release gut hooked fish consistantly throughout a given day just for sport. Many of those fish will not survive in the long run. I am surprised that so many people are comfortable doing this.