PDA

View Full Version : any Loch Lomond tips?

bobcatken
06-26-2006, 09:21 PM
This weekend I'll be making my first trip to Loch Lomond. *I plan to be fishing from the banks for trout and bluegills. *Anybody fish there recently and have luck with the trout? *For the trout I'm planning to use a sliding sinker with Powerbait and/or nightcrawlers. *I've read the bluegill fishing is decent. *For them I'm planning to use a bobber with waxworms. *I love seeing the bobber dance! * :)

Any tips on hot spots or setups would be appreciated. *Thanks ahead of time. * *

Slim
06-26-2006, 09:55 PM
Fished it 30 years ago.. Caught a few fish, Bows and Gills draggin a crawler.. Sorry :'( but that's the most recient for me there!!

It's a cute little lake...

Good luck & Have fun

Slim

Flycanoe
06-27-2006, 10:48 AM
I've fished the lake a couple of times in the past. *The last time was a year ago on memorial weekend. Worms are your best bet, but the recent heat will have warmed the water quite a bit making bank fishing tuff. I would suggest renting one of their boats to get out near the dam area. You can also call the ranger there and inquire about the fishing conditions ahead of time. *

padrino
06-27-2006, 11:56 AM
i like to use power eggs there for trout. we used to hike in a ways, there is a trail from one of the upper parking lots that ended at a nice spot.

a heads up, they do not allow alcohol on the premises. so do not bring any beer, i've seen people kicked out for drinking beer.

kevin 'Padrino'

bobcatken
06-27-2006, 08:02 PM
thanks for the info. *

This rookie needs all the help he can get * :)

badbobfishing33
06-28-2006, 07:42 AM
I would get a boat....I also believe there is an oxygen air rator thing near the dam so I bet you could get some trout out there. Aslo go all the way to the end of the lake where the creek comes in trout hid up that way

ndiezel
06-28-2006, 08:48 AM
Here's my tip: Any lake that does no allow you to imbibe in the spirits should be drained and turned in to a landfill! :P Thatís the craziest thing Iíve ever heard! On a serious note, I fished this probably some 3-4 times back in my childhood some 20-25 years ago and always did good trolling flashers worms. As far as going for blue gill (?), try cigarette butts, leaves, twigs, or whatever else you can find in your three foot radius. Obviously NOT beer caps!!!!!! ;D It is a pretty little lake, though.

Fish_R_Us
06-28-2006, 10:06 AM
Bobcatken,

Here is a posting I made on the same topic which was run on 5/7/06. You might want to go back and view the other messages.

Re: Loch Lomond
Reply #4 - 05/10/06 at 1:05pm Back in the mid 80's, I use to hang around with friends who lived up in the Santa Cruz Mtns. We would wait in line to get in on every opening day. I remember waiting and fishing in total drenching rain with a poncho or an inverted large plastic garbage bag. That lake is the prettiest lake that reminds me of a typical sierra lake because of it's Redwoods and pine trees. The fish are more agressive, especially the pink meat steelhead hybrids. The dam area was where we would troll deep for those trout. Furthur up stream would be the area where those neat pearch would hang out. Then there is that large cove at the upper 1/3 (left side) of the lake where the big bass would be. We use to rent those pontoon boats and troll the heck out of that place. Anybody who really knows that lake would know where those places are. You use to only have hiking trails up around the entire lake and that made for complete peace and solitude. I think it's pretty undeveloped still. I hope they keep it that way. Unless of course, the silence is broken up by the "fish on" yells. Alot of times there were "double headers" and trying to net a couple 14" steelhead holdovers at the same time. I especially liked their airborn acrobatic skills. Now that's what I call FUN. I rarely make it down there now a days, but That lake is still the "jewel" of any of the Bay Area lakes indeed. I'd rate it a definite A+!!

Landlubber
06-28-2006, 04:42 PM
I was there on Father's day, but too late to rent a motor boat (sold out by 6:30 am!). We rented a paddle boat and attempted to troll (had luck one time before that way). My 5-year old caught a small bluegill. Most trollers in motorboats were doing well trolling flashers (ford fenders?)with a worm trailer. *Those trolling spoons or kastmasters did not seem to be doing much. I did not see how the bankers were doing. Fishing from shore with a worm can be a frustrating experience at Loch Lomond, as there are so many bluegill. Of course, if you want to catch bluegill, worms, waxworms, mealworms, and even bare gold hooks have been known to work at the loch.

bobcatken
07-03-2006, 08:22 PM
I originally started this post asking for any tips about fishing at Loch Lomond. *I did go there Saturday (7/1) and wanted to give an update. *I hope it's okay I'm just adding onto this thread and not starting a new one *:-?

I do have two questions buried near the end of this post. *Perhaps you'll find the questions and can answer them * :D

In my brief 3 month fishing career I had my best day of fishing at Loch Lomond. *It was a blast!

I had taken troutcanoe's advice about calling ahead of time to get info from people who worked at the reservoir. *The person I spoke with recommended the little coves near the marina. *

I woke up at 4 and got to Loch Lomond by 6 am. *It was kinda strange driving up there because the last mile before the park is a windy, one lane road lined by homes. *Fortunately there were brown information signs confirming the reservoir was somewhere nearby.

When I reached the parking lot by the reservoir, I was astounded by the beauty. *The water was surrounded by redwood tree covered hills and a cool mist was on top of the water. *It was overcast and the scenery was so peaceful. *Even if I didn't catch any fish today, the sight was worth it!

I walked along the Loch Trail past Cunningham Cove started fishing at McGregor Cove. *I only saw 2-3 guys catch a few trout the first 2 hours. *I did get one bite on my rainbow powerbait but I wasn't able to set the hook. *After two hours I decided to move to a different spot. *Yes, I probably should have moved earlier. *I walked fifty yards along the trail and started fishing at a different spot on the cove. *I set up my two rods and didn't get a bite for 30 minutes. *I finally got a bite and hooked a small rainbow trout. *I really didn't need to use my net but since I had carried it out here I decided to use it. *As I was reaching for my net, the trout made one final leap and freed himself from my barbless hook. *First time I lost one so close to me. *Oh well. *

So far my fishing trip wasn't very successful. *I had two bites with no fish to show for it. *I did see bluegill and largemouth bass very close to shore. *The bass was patrolling very close to shore but wasn't interested in my nightcrawler. *I threw my powerbait out at different angle. *Within 30 seconds I got a bite. *Yahoo! *I brought up the little half pounder using my net of course. * I threw the powerbait out to the same spot. *My second rod with chartreuse and white power eggs was thrown out to the same spot. *The fun began. *For the next 2 hours I got more bites than I've ever gotten. *By 10:45 I caught my limit. *I wanted to keep fishing so I gave two of the fish away to the family next to me. *I continued fishing and caught a total of 7 trout that morning. *Is this a legal way to continue fishing? (okay, 7 trout isn't a big deal, but it was a lot fun for this rookie) * *

It was crazy one time when I got bites on both rods at the same time. *I had just set the hook on one rod when I saw my second rod was boucing up and down. *I placed the rod I was holding down on the ground and hoped the fish wouldn't throw off the barbless hook. *I slid over to the 2nd rod and set the hook. *I put this rod down on its holder and jumped backed to the original rod. *I started reeling in that fish. *For a half second I thought I would set the rod down and reel in the other fish a little, but I decided I'd better just focus on one fish at a time. *Has this happened to you before? *What's the best way to handle the situation?

After the trout fishing I fished for bluegill. *I know this is a trout forum so I'll just say that the bluegill fishing was fun. *At one point I even caught an eight inch largemouth bass. *Boy it had a huge mouth for such a small body!

Thanks for reading what was intended to be a brief update to my original post. *If you decide to go to Loch Lomond, please leave some fish in there for me. *

FreshwaterFrank
07-03-2006, 09:28 PM
When you catch 5, you're done. You're lucky F&G wasn't watching. Read your rule book. Boo!!! ......

bobcatken
07-03-2006, 09:45 PM
Let me clarify what I did and if I'm in the wrong, feel free to point it out.

I did catch five trout. *I read somewhere on this forum that it is illegal to possess five trout and have your rod in the water because it means you intend to keep more than the limit. *I gave away two fish so I only had three on my stringer. *

If that's not legal, what if I had released the fifth fish immediately after catching it? *Would I have been able to keep on fishing?

thanks ahead of time.

Phisherman44
07-04-2006, 04:43 PM
anybody know how much it costs to take a boat out with your own motor/battery? thanks
jgb

WHYTDVL
07-04-2006, 10:03 PM
I think a boat without a motor is like $35 for the day. Imma local and fish loch lomond almost every week. I mostly fish for bass, but sometimes if im going to the end of the lake i'll troll. I troll the smallest crome "super duper" I can find and nail them everytime. They have been planting a lot lately. The only people i see do real well from shore are the people that either boated or hiked way down to the end of the lake near where the stream comes in. Either way the trout are pretty easy to catch. When it gets later in the summer and the water starts warming up you need to go DEEPER and it becomes hard from the shore.

Landlubber
07-05-2006, 08:38 AM
Bobkatken, glad you had a successful and beautiful trip to Loch Lomond. It truly is a little jewel in the Santa Cruz mountains.

Regarding limits, you were wrong in keeping fishing. Yes there is a possession limit, and there is also a daily bag limit. By giving away fish, you did not violate the possession limit, but you did violate the daily bag limit. By giving away fish, you were able to legally fish the next day.

Side note - when fishing on party boats on the ocean, it is legal to keep fishing until the boat fills out its collective limit. This change become official a year or two ago. Not sure if boat limits apply in freshwater. They surely do not apply to shore fishermen.

bobcatken
07-05-2006, 04:51 PM
Landlubber, thank you for clarifying the limit issue for me. *I didn't know there were two types of limits. *I've looked at the CA Sport fishing regulations but I can't say I completely understand it. *I can read the words in English but understanding them is another issue :D