PDA

View Full Version : ?????????Golden trout lakes?????????????

troutfish4life
07-02-2006, 06:57 PM
hey guys,
I want to go back packing in to a lake to catch some golden trout but i dont know any good lakes...... :-[ so if you guys can give me some tips that would be great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :)

Slim
07-02-2006, 08:38 PM
I'll fess up ONLY if you take me with you and keep the name and location a secret.... !!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/slim1/The_Lake_nice.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/slim1/Golden1.jpg

Slim

Mad_Russian
07-02-2006, 09:25 PM
Shamrock Lake. It is a fairly short hike from Saddelbag Lake, but golden trout there are sure extra spooky.

Slim
07-02-2006, 09:33 PM
Shamrock Lake. It is a fairly short hike from Saddelbag Lake, but golden trout there are sure extra spooky.

Love the saddlebag loop.. Such great mt scenery and lots of little lakes..I would love to head back in there sometime. That's where I caught my first Golden, although it looked like a hibred, not much color.
That area might thaw out in late August or September being its 11,000 feet elevation.

Slim

highlands
07-03-2006, 06:53 AM
Beatiful fish! But that's it one lake? Someody's holding out. What's the name of that lake on Sonora Pass? I've never been there my bud says it about a five mile hike in.

troutfan
07-03-2006, 08:17 AM
The Tyee lakes out of Bishop Creek have Goldens. Very steep hike!

Mr_Ed
07-03-2006, 08:48 AM
Slim; was that pic. taken left of the trail into the lake ! ;)

There are also 4 lakes in the Desolation area s/w of Tahoe,
that have Golden trout. Two lakes have "purebreeds" and
the other two have a "blend" which have been messed up,
thanks to the F&G introducing another strain of fish into the lake. >:(

I don't know why they think that rainbow or cutthroat are so
important !! :o

Now if they would stock some GRAYLING; they would be doing somethingt !!

Later Ed

Fish_School
07-03-2006, 10:14 AM
I caught golden trout at lake aloha in desalation wilderness years ago they 16to18" and lots of them on yellow power bait......

SalmoClarki
07-03-2006, 11:22 AM
There's all sorts of lakes in the mammoth area that have goldens in them. I have gone to a few above twin lakes.

timetofish
07-03-2006, 11:34 AM
Ditto the Desolation area. Beautiful area with beautiful Goldens.

Viking
07-03-2006, 12:24 PM
Don't know how far or for how long to intend to hike. Many years ago I hiked from Devils Postpile, which if I recall was near Kennedy Meadows, up to the John Muir trail, then south about 50 miles along the Muir trail back down to Silver Lake. Lots of small lakes either along the trail or nearby off the trail that held Golden trout. Beautiful hike, but at least one day of altitude sickness between 9,000 and 11,000 ft.! Caught quite a few, but have to be very patient and stealthy. Tough to catch in that crystal clear water.

Try researching DFG website, or calling DFG. They plant Goldens by air, if I recall.

Viking

Mr_Ed
07-03-2006, 02:23 PM
Oh, by the way.......

If you plan to do some fly fishing, don't do like I did the 1st time.

# 12 dry flys are way too big !! # 22 up to # 16's work BETTER !

Adams, Humphy's, black gnat, Mosquito's & Caddis all work well.

Enjoy Ed

Mad_Russian
07-03-2006, 03:27 PM
Beatiful fish! But that's it one lake? Someody's holding out. *What's the name of that lake on Sonora Pass? *I've never been there my bud says it about a five mile hike in. * *
I just named one that I could remember but if you want more, there you go, all of them off Saddlebag Loop: Shamrock....Odell....Wasco... Steelhead.........
Enjoy your hike :)

troutfan
07-03-2006, 05:16 PM
Oh, by the way.......

If you plan to do some fly fishing, don't do like I did the 1st time.

# 12 dry flys are way too big !! * *# 22 up to # 16's work *BETTER !

Adams, Humphy's, black gnat, Mosquito's & Caddis all work well.

Enjoy Ed
True story. *I have fished those back country lakes on the John Muir trail and if I had to have one fly it would be a size 18 California Mosquito!

Wolf74
07-03-2006, 07:22 PM
About a year ago I put up a post about golden trout that ran for like 5 pages or something like that. If you run a search you might find it. It has LOTS of good information.

Actualy here it is.
http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1119898771/0

Slim
07-03-2006, 09:37 PM
Slim; *was that pic. taken left *of the trail into the lake ! *;)

Later * Ed

Something like that Ed *8-)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/slim1/Golden%20Trip/Mesmlr.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/slim1/Golden%20Trip/lake.jpg

Slim

Mr_Ed
07-04-2006, 07:36 AM
Thruogh the years of 100's of people going into these areas
at 10,000 feet elevation ( +/- ) the fire wood is mighty scarce.

Next trip in I will bring my own "fuel" to cook dinner & breakfast.

Don't forget to get a 2 day pass from the FS ahead of time so you don,t get fined ($). It is just a "safty" thing and is now a regulation.

Ed

johnbfishin
07-04-2006, 05:02 PM
"Back in the day" of 50 to 75 mile backpacking trips we ran across many lakes with goldens. I couldn't for the life of me tell you where they all are. I know of a couple that I have been to recently but the coloring is not what I remember as a youth so my guess is they were hybrids.

Schu
07-04-2006, 07:27 PM
I got a Goldie at Silver Lake one year, that was a fluke however. I am going to try the streams above Saddlebag this year when it opens. Most of the Goldies are in the Mt Whitney area. There are Golden Trout horseback tours available in the Whitney area as well. You will find some good lakes up from Lake Sabina over Bishop Creek. Most of the lakes have restrictions. Better check them before you go. Try the upper Kern River for Kern Goldies. many areas are only a few miles from the trailheads. Good luck ;)

troutfan
07-04-2006, 07:53 PM
I *caught golden trout at lake aloha in desalation wilderness years ago they 16to18" and lots of them on *yellow power bait......
I would like to see an 18" Golden. I've never seen one that big!

FreshwaterFrank
07-04-2006, 08:25 PM
I caught golden trout at lake aloha in desalation wilderness years ago they 16to18" and lots of them on yellow power bait......
I would like to see an 18" Golden. I've never seen one that big!

Your wish is my command. This is me in 1974, in Pioneer Basin. A little pothole had exactly three fish just like this one. 18" and 2 lbs. each. A Silver Wobble-Rite did them in. What a dinner that night was... @ 11,000 feet plus. Biggest goldens I've ever caught in California.

http://pic13.picturetrail.com/VOL468/2247475/11302896/163514540.jpg

troutfan
07-04-2006, 08:36 PM
Wow! Impressive. Now I can say I've seen one!
Thanks

Wolf74
07-04-2006, 08:53 PM
Are goldens only caught on flys? Or can you catch them with more conventional fishing gear and tackle?

FreshwaterFrank
07-04-2006, 08:59 PM
It might have been 17-1/2" or maybe 18-1/2". In those days we measured fish with our hand span...9". Me & my dad found that lake. We had hand signals we used, but that pothole was so small that we just yelled across at each other. It was a joke, really...we didn't think there could be anything in it. Dad took off one way around the lake, and I went the other. I was fishing a grey hackle behind a bubble & nothing doing. Then I watched him snag a big one across the pond! He yells out "Silver Wobble-Rite" and signals an 18" fish....eeegads, I have never changed rigs so fast in my life. I cannot remember if I got two, or he did...but the one in the pic was mine. That was an epic day, thanks dad. Everything worthwhile that I ever learned about fishing, I learned from my dad. When he died in '99, every fish in America breathed a big sigh of relief. I can't carry his tackle box, but I do alright. :-)

johnbfishin
07-04-2006, 09:31 PM
I can't carry his tackle box, but I do alright. *:-)

With all due respects. ;)

timetofish
07-05-2006, 09:49 AM
Nice pic Frank!! That's the biggest Golden I've seen!! Very nostalgic!!! 8-)

Athlete24
07-05-2006, 10:20 AM
I've heard of Tamarack lake up by Twin Lakes near Bridgeport. *I think it is about a 2 1/2 mile hike up. * I was just up at Bridgeport and it looked like there was a lot of snow up there still.

http://img349.imageshack.us/img349/3909/tamarackiiedited3rw.jpg

FreshwaterFrank
07-05-2006, 02:16 PM
I've heard of Tamarack lake up by Twin Lakes near Bridgeport. I think it is about a 2 1/2 mile hike up. I was just up at Bridgeport and it looked like there was a lot of snow up there still.

http://img349.imageshack.us/img349/3909/tamarackiiedited3rw.jpg

Good choice, I fished it in 2001 & 2002 and it had goldens. Typical early or late only catching window, mostly hybrids. An overnighter if you're serious. Steep climb, but worth it. Fantastic setting, get there early as quite a few folks do day hikes from Twin Lakes as summer progresses. They don't catch many though...dawn & dusk, that's the ticket. All of a sudden the lake will erupt in jumping trout. For 1/2 hour you'll be in nirvana, if you're prepared. IMO goldens are even dumber than cutts...once you get with their program. No wonder the rare hybrids are so easily endangered. A spinning rig with a fly & a bubble will work as well, or better, than a traditional flyrod. I know that's heresy, but it's true for lake fishing in my experience. You can chuck a spin rig farther & easier than any fly rig, and the fish really don't seem to mind the difference. Use flouro leader & 6' of it between bubble & fly. Cast & let it sit for a minute, then retrieve slow..slow. Grey Hackles, Black Gnats, and assorted small mosquitos...that's all you need. Get 'em.