PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid, Wednesday, 6/28/06

Fishbrain
06-28-2006, 08:17 PM
Let me summarize my first Pyramid experience... Then, the report...

1) Pyramid is huge, it's an awesomely beautiful place, and deserves all the respect people give it in their reports.

2) The fish are plentiful, fun to catch, and keep you really, really busy when the bite is on.

3) ChickFishing (Beth) is one heck of a fishing partner, a great deck hand, and very "Pyramid savvy". I will always welcome her onto my boat any day, any lake. It was my pleasure to meet and to get to know her. My wife, Karen, described as being a very "genuine" person. (I would say that means not phony, nor brash, nor attention-seeking).

We drove straight accross the lake to the Pyramid island. Upon arriving at our initial destination, I'd never seen that many fish on my fishfinder at one time. Incredible! Hooked up almost immediately. I didn't even get a chance to put my rod into the downrigger. The first hour was non-stop action. We kept a couple nearing the 19" length. Made a few more passes of catch and release. I had one down to about 20', one a little deeper around 26', and ChickFishing kept hers near the surface. All rods at all depths caught fish.

Started to move up the lake working the bays and continued to catch and release. Seriously, we lost count... All I know is that we were well over 15-20 fish as we searched for the "hogs".

My wife and I used Lyman lures that I had ordered over the internet. One frog pattern that was OK and a perch-looking one that just kept 'em coming. FishingChick used a chrome flatfish with a single hook on the tail. She was the hot hand on the boat catching the most. I learned that treble hooks just aren't necessary, can only cause more damage to the fish, and get hung up in the net.

Karen caught the biggest for the day going 23". Obviously, it was not a legal keeper, but it sure was a nice fish.

The farther we went up the lake, the fewer the fish were, but the bigger they were. We released several fish between 19" and 24".

I was letting out my lure and the water was so clear I watched a big fish toy with it right behind the boat!! As he hit, I tried to set the hook at just the right instant. Got so excited that I snapped my line and the lure bobbed to the surface.

Had such a great time, I could type all night writing about it... OK. I'll close with my final thoughts... If you haven't fished Pyramid, you should. I save the last week in October for Eagle Lake. From now on, I'll save the last week in June for Pyramid.

Thank you, to ChickFishing... You were a great inspiration. I think you have Pyramid Lake water in your veins.

vvbob
06-28-2006, 08:27 PM
Fishbrain

Great post.
Great lake, & as you said , when the bite is on ;D ;D ;D ;D wahoo!
Can bring you back to earth when those "cuts" get lockjaw :(
Glad you got to hook up with Chick, awesome gal....
Hey Chick where was Barry, or shouldn't I ask??

Mr_Ed
06-28-2006, 10:47 PM
With the last outing, Barry is probably letting his "raw" thumbs
and fingers heal from releasing all the fish they caught.

Chick did not say how many fish they caught, but I know just
5 can get your thumb bloody! ;) ;D

Ed

CHICKFISHING58
06-29-2006, 07:59 AM
Let me summarize my first Pyramid experience... Then, the report...

3) ChickFishing (Beth) is one heck of a fishing partner, a great deck hand, and very "Pyramid savvy". I will always welcome her onto my boat any day, any lake. It was my pleasure to meet and to get to know her. My wife, Karen, described as being a very "genuine" person. (I would say that means not phony, nor brash, nor attention-seeking).

Thank you, to ChickFishing... You were a great inspiration. I think you have Pyramid Lake water in your veins.

Don,
Thank you so much for letting me tag along with you and Karen and thank you for saying that Karen felt like I was a genuine person that really means a lot to me when a fellow sniffer's wife thinks that it's a woman thing ;D
I was very impressed with the way Karen drove the boat on the trailer I hope someday I can be that good with my boat 8-)
Sorry we didnít get a chance to fish the needles you just never know about the weather at lease you got a chance to see the lake.
Here are some pictures from the trip hope to see you at Hell Hole
Karen
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/514/karen.jpg
Don getting are lines UN tangled
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/514/don.jpg
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/514/don2.jpg
Me and Don
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/514/me_don.jpg

It was pretty smoky from all the fires going on in town hopefully next time you can really see the beauty of the lake

UNCLE_OTTO2
06-29-2006, 08:14 AM
I was out Tuesday night. It was pretty windy. Went over to the other side and jigged. Was pretty tricky to stay in one place. We got several large one's. I had a really nice fighter that jumped about 3' out of the water.

They are going nuts right now. Very tempting to call in sick :-[.

I'll be out on Frenchman's all 4th weekend then heading to Bodega folloowing weekend.

I think I feel ill. ;)

dgerrits
06-29-2006, 09:49 AM
Hey Zick,
Nice post I wish I could have joined you, not that I was invited.. Jake used to rave about Pyramid, but I never really nailed them there. I did catch a 25" the first year we were there... Hey if it is that good, what say we make plans for next year in June.

BTW, I still have your radio...

Dave ::)