PDA

View Full Version : Don Pedro Repot 6/24

WishnIwasfishn
06-26-2006, 08:46 AM
Launched Moccasin point at 4:45am. Although I should have ran over to the Jenkins hill area, I decided to go against my gut and give the Woods Creek area a shot. As I passed the 120 bridge I began to encounter quite a bit of floating debris, due to the extremely hight water 100%+ full. After navigating through the muck for a few hunderd yards the water cleared up, for the moment. I passed the 5mph zone and hit my usual haunt. Lines in the water at 6:30 by 7:30 no action. Water was warm at 78.2 degrees but fish were busting loose all around me. Everything from carp, bass to trout were on the surface feeding and frolicing. I marked several large fish in the 40-100 foot range and sent down shad and other offerings to try to intice, but to no avail. At 8:30 I was discouraged and tired of fighting the wood and other debris in the area so I decided to head up the Toulome and try my luck.

Around 9:15 I passed under the Ward's Ferry Bridge and noted the water temp of 76 degree's over the next two hunderd yards the water dropped to the chilly 54.8. After a quick dip (outside temp was already 80+) I figured I would try fishing the transition zone. Within a few minutes I had my first fish on a scrappy 14 incher. Another 90 minutes went by and had to be one of the most frustrating fishing experiences I have had. As I trolled I must have seen 50-75 trout crusing and feeding on the surface on the cold water side of the break. The fish were all in the 15-17 inch class and if my net had a 6 foot handle I might have been able to dip a few right out. After a few passes I switched to a kokinut and picked up a quick hit. Since it was getting hot I decided to call it quits with 2 fish to the boat (released) and one LDR.

I tried a variety of spoons, plugs, spinners and bait with minimal success. Any suggestions on how to entice those pesky trout to bite?

Once the lake starts dropping the debris should clear up, but until then watch out.

WishN

badbobfishing33
06-26-2006, 01:20 PM
Hey Wishn,

Sounds like an interesting day....I wonder if those were freshly planted trout hanging together like that??

Sounds like there is too much debri to do much of anything?? Have you tried McClure....I am hearing good things from there.

BB

Slim
06-26-2006, 10:02 PM
*. *

I tried a variety of spoons, plugs, spinners and bait with minimal success. *Any suggestions on how to entice those pesky trout to bite?

Once the lake starts dropping the debris should clear up, but until then watch out.

WishN *

Try flyfishin.. Throw out a grass hopper with a midge dropper about 2-3 feet below the hopper. They might have been feeding on Midges and or mayflies that were hatching!!

My 2 cents worth (If that)

Slim

Slim
06-26-2006, 10:07 PM
Maybe I should run down to Wards Ferry bridge with my float tube and see what I can dredge up... (Hmmmm [smiley=undecided.gif] )

Slim

WishnIwasfishn
06-27-2006, 11:25 AM
THanks guys.

Badbob, don't think these are planters, if so they would have to swim 5-6 miles up from Moccasin, unless they stock around the Wards Ferry Bridge?

Slim I would think the float tube would be perfect. If you go, there was a mass of floating debris (25 yards up river side of bridge) sitting between the current seams. The trout appeared to be traveling in pods between 3-10 fish. As chunks of sticks, plants and other matter would break off and float up river (must be a big etty) the trout would cruise through picking off what ever was edible. Where were the ospreys? they could have had a feast.

Let me know how you do if you get out.

WishN

iron-man
06-27-2006, 03:23 PM
Bad Bob, you asked a question earlier in this post about Mc Clure, Well I have been doing pretty good down there for the past 4-5 weeks. I have been going once or twice a week, picking up some nice salmon in the 20 - 22 inch range. Even had a couple of hard hits that just took off with the bait. Today , however I experienced my first skunkaroo. Three bites. On the water before 6 am, left around 10am.Noticed that the wind was coming up when I left. But my partner and I had enough. Trolled with shad and leaded line with night crawlers.The fishing at Mc Clure usually ends around this time of the year anyway so I was kind of expecting.It (the Skunk) was not totally my fault as my fishing partner unbeknownst(is that a word)to me brought a banana on board need I say more. iron-man

badbobfishing33
06-28-2006, 07:39 AM
I think the window has closed for McClure to hot??? Thanks for the reply I would love to get back out there.

Wishn....yeah I am not that familiar with the lake I agree too far for stockers to travel...good luck out there.