PDA

View Full Version : Amador 6/17...Fishing Rods of Fury!!!

office_pirate79
06-22-2006, 10:44 AM
I realize it's the 22nd, but I also had to step into the 21st century and learn how post pics and all of that good stuff. My buddy and I have been getting a bad case of "the skunk" for the past few fishing trips and decided to head to Lake Amador with dreams bent graphite and screaming drags...come on fish!
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/8332/amador19qz.jpg

We decided to try the trout, bass, & panfish, combo meal (I think that's a number 7 on the menu ;D). And well, they forgot the bass & the panfish, but boy oh boy did they give us some extra large trout! On the water at about 7:15-7:30 or so after some unanticipated rental boat malfunctions...not a way to start the day, but what the heck! Trout were hitting some kind of water bugs and minnows, I'm assuming, all around us. I was falling in love with this temptress named Amador :-*. We were drifting green PB and a Power Egg/Power Worm combo...nothing!

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/5738/amador21jz.jpg

Then my buddy switched to rainbow PB (reason unknown...but thank God!) and then blammo! Fish on! Mind you, this happened shortly after we realized we forgot the net >:(. So now, it was us vs. the mighty "Donaldson trout", "cutbow" or whatever the heck these mammoths are called. He got it up to the boat and Jesus, Mary, & Joseph! This wasn't the planter-dinks I was used to seeing here in our finer East Bay reservoirs. This was healthy, with a beautiful silver color, and muscle on top of muscle (as the great Homer Circle would say). I'd say about 4-5lbs. Some how, I managed to get Mr. Trout in the boat and in the cooler. Victory :D!!!

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/178/amador33pi.jpg

I was in awe! Apparently Mr. Trout was in awe that he was eating a tasty snack one minute and thrown into a plastic prison the next. That guy was flopping around...beating the heck out of that cooler! Now it was my turn. Actually, before it was my turn my buddy nailed another one and I we lost it at the boat. (45th note to self: REMEMBER THE FRICKIN' NET >:()
Now, back to my turn. My 5'6" Ugly Stik Lite starts doing it's little dance, I felt the pick-up, and then boo ya! Fish on! This thing was peeling line like crazy. I got it up near the boat and, man, this guy wasn't happy! I was holding my line and rod together as I was going to just try and horse him in the boat, but he wasn't havin' it. He went for a run under the boat and started burnin' the line against my fingers...NOT good times. I got him back up and my buddy got him in the boat. Another beauty. As most of you probably know, these Amador trout are no joke! I'd put this one at about 5-6 lbs. I'd put the one that we lost at the boat at 6-7 lbs.

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7425/amador55ru.jpg

We were hot, getting tired, bass-LESS, and ready to head back to that stupid place called "land." Once, you're on "land" you eventually have to go to an even more stupid place called "work." I'm not sure what that's about, but any way...we had a great day at Amador.

http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/3227/amador46zj.jpg

If any of you Sniffers haven't been out there, I suggest you get moving!

bigfishee
06-22-2006, 11:36 AM
Hey Pirate, how deep did you have to go to get those trout?

fourbizzle
06-22-2006, 11:44 AM
Pirate, I love your reports. Great pictures and funny too!Keep up the good work!

Troutcoach
06-22-2006, 11:52 AM
Good to hear that you slammed 'em....or actually they slammed you. Thanks for the report.

TC

LD
06-22-2006, 12:27 PM
Glad to hear you had a good time. If you feel like changing up next time, try a 3" orange power grub behind a dodger. I like watermelon, but have had good results with silver, and chartruse too.
Nice report, I wish I could type fast enough to do post 1 like that. If I typed 1 that long, it would take me an hour... ;D ;D
LD

office_pirate79
06-22-2006, 12:33 PM

We were doin' it old school bigfishee...no depth finder, really no way to mark the fish. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say about 30+ ft? There were TONS of fish hitting the surface in/around the middle of the lake. We even saw one destroying a minnow or shiner or something...that little guy jumped clear out of the water! It may have been my imagination, but I could've sworn I heard the faint screams of 3" baitfish :-?

Thanks fourbizzle! I've been checking out your posts in the Team Backlash thread on the Bass Board and you guys rock! I've only got into some decent bass like the ones in your pics one time and well...let's just say it wasn't exactly "legal." Who am I kidding...it was completely illegal and I've felt pretty bad about it ever since. I will never, ever fish a protected watershed that holds ridiculous amounts of trophy fish EVER AGAIN.

office_pirate79
06-22-2006, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the 411 lite drag. I've been wanting to try trolling a little more...I know it can be productive. So yeah, I'll definitely give that a try. And to be honest, that dang post took me 3 days to finish. Between figuring out My Pictures, imageshack, and trying to make it look pretty during my breaks and lunches, it was no small feat for my tiny brain!

bigfishee
06-22-2006, 01:54 PM
Pirate, this might help me out. Were you guys fishing on the bottom or suspending the PB. Basically what rig were you using? I typically do the sliding sikner PB rig from shore, never drifted before. Anchored, but never drifted. Thinking of doing a Trout/Bass/Cat combo trip soon.

thanks

office_pirate79
06-22-2006, 02:19 PM
bigfishee...As we were drifting, sometimes we were on the bottom, and sometimes were were suspended. You know...changes in bottom contour and all that jazz.
But oddly enough, we were using the sliding sinker PB setup that you and everyone else uses. My buddy told me that that's rig/method we'd be using, so I questioned whether that would work knowing that the rig would be suspended if we were in some of the deep channels at that lake and that rig is for bottom fishing. But hey...it worked! He said the last time he was at Amador (he slayed 'em that time too), he actually had one sliding sinker rig dropped down straight below the boat (suspended of course) and one that he casted out. Nailed 'em on both. I hope that helps!

ifish4fun
06-22-2006, 03:30 PM
great job I stopped fishing that lake a month ago because they stopped
planting it and the water temp was soo high. But as i can see the fish are still there and catchable. fishing pressure is generally light during this time of year due to the high temp of the water. But this is my favorite lake. The fish fight so hard and good size also. the biggest fish this year for my boat was my dad's 9 # trout. Keep up the good work.

jwilson
06-22-2006, 04:31 PM
Nice catch and report. *I'm with Darren, it's been a while. *Well, since May 21st. *We'll be out after salmon season and what some call the "stripper" *;D season *[smiley=angling.gif] again. *Great job on the mighty cutbows. *Don't miss next years donut fest, you'll have fun *[smiley=fencing.gif] * [smiley=stretcher.gif]. *

JW

fourbizzle
06-23-2006, 10:47 PM

We were doin' it old school bigfishee...no depth finder, really no way to mark the fish. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say about 30+ ft? There were TONS of fish hitting the surface in/around the middle of the lake. We even saw one destroying a minnow or shiner or something...that little guy jumped clear out of the water! It may have been my imagination, but I could've sworn I heard the faint screams of 3" baitfish :-?

Thanks fourbizzle! I've been checking out your posts in the Team Backlash thread on the Bass Board and you guys rock! I've only got into some decent bass like the ones in your pics one time and well...let's just say it wasn't exactly "legal." Who am I kidding...it was completely illegal and I've felt pretty bad about it ever since. I will never, ever fish a protected watershed that holds ridiculous amounts of trophy fish EVER AGAIN.

hey man, if you're using artificials and not killing fish, you shouldnt feel to bad. but a little bit of guilt is probably good! there are too many places that are over regulated and many more that are under regulated, the state of california's wildlife resource management is in shambles, im not from here originally and back home they had things worked out much better, we just didnt grow big fish. but its sweet that you went and slayed them the old fashioned way, those donaldson's are a kick on light gear!

SalmoClarki
06-24-2006, 06:38 PM
OP79, go back a few months and check out HH3's posts. We had a blast out there in the winter! Jwilson knows what i'm talking about. *;) All the info you need are in those posts.