PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Lake this week

vvbob
06-14-2006, 05:13 PM
This is what greeted me this morning.
http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/4008/eagle614morningclouds1bp.jpg

Bite Me II out having a good day
http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/7804/eagle614bitemeii2im.jpg

Caught only 3 fish this morning. This went 3.2.
Lots more fight in the fish this year, this guy really took me for a ride. Had the net at the ready twice & he would take 15 to 20 feet of line. Water is clear & you can see about 10 feet down. Lake is in GREAT shape
Caught all 3 fish of a small 2" brown grub with gold flake. Tim of FishTraveler Guide Service was gracious enough to pass me 4 of the grubs on the water this morning...Thanks Tim 8-)

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/3404/eagle6146ky.jpg

Topaz_Tom
06-14-2006, 05:34 PM
Bob, Nice report, were heading up Saturday and staying for a week, can't wait to hook into one of those eagle lake trout. Tom [smiley=angling.gif]

cuhogn
06-14-2006, 05:50 PM
Great report Bob, now I hope your arms aren't getting too sore from reeling in fish for the past 1.5 weeks ;)

vvbob
06-14-2006, 06:17 PM
I hope your arms aren't getting too sore from reeling in fish for the past 1.5 weeks

This kind of pain is GOOD!! ;D ;D ;D

drstressor
06-14-2006, 08:50 PM
Ken promised me that he would take it easy and not run his own boat. >:(

But since he's out there, he must be feeling OK. 8-)

flatcom
06-15-2006, 03:34 AM
fishing is always great therapy :)

metalmouth
06-15-2006, 04:47 AM
Bob, you are the man. Back to back from Flaming Gorge to Eagle Lake. I know it must be tough but somebody has to do it. ;D Keep up the great reports and tell my buddy Buffy, she's doing a great job with the camera.

MM

Mickey_Thomas
06-15-2006, 04:55 AM
Good stuff VVBob, glad to see Ken out there too, to bad you didn't invite me to go with you ;) ;) Dennis gave me a pkg of brown grubs yesterday ;D ;D ;D I see that Buffy is cutting off your head in the photo, no big lose there ;D ;D It's a great picture of the fish :D

vvbob
06-15-2006, 12:35 PM
to bad you didn't invite me to go with you

You don't want to go there.....I'm still smoldering :-X >:(

vvbob
06-15-2006, 12:44 PM
Wasn't my day today, only caught 2 fish today. One was about 2 pounds so he's still swimming, the other was 3.1 & he's in the freezer. Both caught on the small brown grub with gold flake.
Bite Me II & FishTraveler limited out for all hands on board, so if you knew what you were doing limits were to be had.
Bite Me caught 4 on the grubs & 2 on Frog needle fish. Tim's party caught everything on the grubs

Tomorrows another day, maybe "MY" day. 8-)

Weather is unstable, had rain yesterday, cold north wind this morning. For those of you coming up soon, bring the warm stuff ;D

Mickey_Thomas
06-15-2006, 05:38 PM
Well Bob 2 fish is a limit at Eagle, don't be so hard on yourself ::)
so if you knew what you were doing limits were to be had.

Glad that Ken did so well ;) All this time I thought you were the guru of Eagle Lake ;D ;D ;D at least that's what you told me :D ;D Tomorrow is another day, I bet you slay them tomorrow ;)

vvbob
06-17-2006, 12:11 PM
Sat 6-17
My son & future daughter are spending the weekend with me.
Hit the water about 6:30, & headed to Pelican point. Trolled the brown grubs with gold flake at 6 & *8 feet. We were the hot boat in the fleet, we hooked 10 fish & only got 5 in the boat. The smaller grubs require a #4 hook, instead of the #1 I am use to using on the 3 " grubs.
Bite was pretty much over by 8am.
Going to try Shrimp Island tomorrow morning
Jaimie with her first ever American fish, an Eagle Lake Trout. Jaime is a native Australian. Buffy is giving her a few pointers 8-)
http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/1422/jaimewithfishon6170su.jpg
Limits for the Aussie's.
You dirty old men keep your eyes on the fish *;D ;Dhttp://img234.imageshack.us/img234/9792/jimjaime617small2ts.jpg

vvbob
06-18-2006, 11:28 AM
Was a tough morning, 3 1/2 hours of trolling and not "one touch" :'(
What a change from yesterday. Bait fishermen did a little better, according to the radio.

Lake was like glass from 6 am till we got off at 10. That usually makes the fishing tougher, but for us it was non-existent
New day tomorrow :D

Mickey_Thomas
06-19-2006, 05:39 AM
That's the great thing about fishing, today is a new day and you can forget all about yesterday ;) Hope you kill them today and Jim and your future Daughter-In-Law too, Jamie, That Jim is a great guy, hope you outfish him today ;D ;D ;D ;D

You dirty old men keep your eyes on the fish
VVBob, I tried my best but she is a beauty :D

HSUdad
06-19-2006, 10:52 AM
HSUSteelie and I were out in the wind and weather last week on his days off ( Wednesday and Thursday). We had to look for fish each day, and only limited on Wednesday, and all were smallish fish. We tried an evening fish on Friday after work, but no luck. All the fish were on a green wooly bugger fished at 5 colors. Only a few bumps up in the top 10 feet with a brown or green bugger. Fished Shrimp Island moslyboth days.

Today I get a call at 6Am from HSUSteelie very excited and pleased with himseelf. He was sitting at the marina waiting to have his picture taken. On a tip from Bite Me II, (stopped by the marina on Saturday), he used a brown grub trolled very slowly. In 30 min he had one that went over 3.5, and the other that went 4.5. He said to tell Ken thanks. I think he bought every brown grub the marina has. He fished south of Eagle nest today.

HSUDad

HSUSteelie
06-19-2006, 12:16 PM
Well I managed to find a little internet cafe in Susanville so I thought I would be able to give a fresh report but it looks like Dad beat me to it. It turns out that my fish this morning were 2 3/4lbs and 3 3/4lbs I seemed to have been a little over-zealous on the estimates this morning. What can I say, I had two good quality fish just 20 minutes after putting my lines in the water and I was a little on the excited side.

After a slower than normal couple days with my Dad and a short conversation with Ken I decided to try using grubs for the first time and all I can say is those little brown grubs worked great and I have about 15 of them now. I was fishing just off the south point of Eagles Nest in about 20ft of water down 2 colors on leadcore.

Over the past week the fishing slowed down a bit, but people putting time in having been successful. I talked to a couple guys who had their limits by 730 fish at Wildcat soaking a worm at 20ft.

If any Sniffer is up at Eagle this summer make sure to stop by the Marina (South Shore) and say hi. I have already had the pleasure of meeting Hindrid on the opener and Ken just the other day. Hope to meet some more sniffers over the course of the summer.

Now that I know where I can get online I will try and give a weekly report from know on. I seem to have a need to come to town about once a week, and I will add it to my list of stops.

HSU Steelie

fishyguy
06-19-2006, 02:44 PM
I've been hearing the fighting and eating qualities of Eagle Lake trout for many years but have never been there. Are there any rental boats available there and if not, is shore fishing productive?

Thanks in advance.

HSUdad
06-19-2006, 02:52 PM
There are rentals available at the south end marina and at Spaulding. The shore fishing is better later in the year in October and afterwards. The lake is closed from January 1 till memorial day weekend. People fish at the rock breakwall or over near the campgrounds from the shore. In the summertime most of the fish are too deep or on the springs out in the lake, although I have been sucessful trolling the shalower water in sptember.

HSUDad

cuhogn
06-20-2006, 06:22 PM
Bob
You still getting them

BITE_ME_II
06-22-2006, 10:35 AM
It was nice to be up there for a few days, talked with VBob every morning when he got out on the water, got to joke around with all of the guides up there as well, made a point of going in to see HSU, he was hard at work but he took the time to meet and talk with me for a few minutes, thank you for the time!!. Fishing for me was good all week had to work for them a bit since I had my So Cal rookies with me, brother and nephews, the last day , Monday I fished by myself and caught 5 to 4lbs in 30 minutes. Just Remington and Myself, I needed the head clearing experiance, and my buddy Remington still can't net a fish!!

BITE ME II
8-) 8-)

SuperDave
06-22-2006, 10:42 AM
Ken, you aren't expecting him to net ducks, why would you expect him to net fish? ;D