View Full Version : Any one been to Edison lake yet

fishon_chris
06-19-2006, 10:19 AM
Has anny one been to Edison lake yet.

Let us know if you have

Chris :)

zinger
06-19-2006, 10:23 AM
Chris I was wondering the same thing. Didn't the snowmobile trips start a long time ago?

fresnofshfan
06-19-2006, 11:25 AM
Road is open . 4x4 recomended. Im hitting it ASAP. Probably in 2 weeks.

fishon_chris
06-19-2006, 01:33 PM
Hey fish fan I will be there with my buddy on the 14,15,16 of july camping and fishing

Chris :)

Atwater
06-19-2006, 06:51 PM
Well guys, we got in this afternoon after a nice long weekend at Edison (Left Thursday). The pass was fine, crossed around noon both times. Lots of run-off crossing the road at various places. Just enough snow to make it pretty. I would be hesitant to cross at night, but it shouldn't be an issue in a week or two. The road is full of the usual spring potholes. GO SLOW, and make sure everything is strapped down tight. We had perfect days and cool nights. Lots of standing pools, so blood suckers are pretty thick (mosquitos).

The Mono wind was whipping up the lake pretty good, and the debris was thick at the headwaters. We saw some big trees floating.....not logs.....trees. In other words, the lake is about normal for this time of year, and it's FULL. Water's blasting out at Rancheria big time, and Mono Creek below the dam is blown out.

The lake level was at the high water mark this morning. I caught a 12' valco with a 9hp motor adrift......Kim said I couldn't keep it.......I guess they're not in season. *;D (It always pays to tie up your boat at night!) *::) We beached it at the ramp and spread the word in the campground.....how many days do I have to wait before it's mine.....?

Fishing was great for 12" to 15" browns. The surface temperature ranged from 54 to 62. We hit fish everywhere we looked, but no big ones. We ran into a few groups of friends who reported the same. We didn't keep any. Most were toplining, but we ran DR's to avoid the debris. Fish were hitting from the surface to 50', depending on the temp.

The easy pickens of bigger fish has come and passed. The shallows around Cold Creek are warm, and better for swimming than fishing, except at O'dark thirty. One good note, I snagged and broke off a 12" lure which cost, if I remember right, a boat payment. We circled back and spotted it floating. Tried to make a pass and net it, when a fish hits another rod. Kim landed the big fish of the trip, a 16" buck, with beautiful colors. Took a while to find that boat payment again after that! (but we did, Whew!)

We dragged big lures on most rods, always hoping for...

We're heading back up the weekend before Independence Day. Hope this report helps.

Atwater
06-19-2006, 06:54 PM
Ok guys, I didn't mention lures. Bikini and Frog Needlefish or anything green was the word. We only pull Shad Raps(for small baits).

EDIT: Guys, PM me for more details......like I said, I'm just learning to share..... ;)

JoeTech
06-19-2006, 08:47 PM
Right on Atwater, great report with good details. Going to try and hit that lake this weekend. Check you PM

fishon_chris
06-20-2006, 06:15 AM
Joe you are going to take that new boat on that rough road.It will beat it up.Let us know how you do this weekend. :)

Atwater great job how full is the lake

No fish on rapalas,Did you catch any Rainbows.Were the browns close to the bottom on the riggers.

Chris :D

Atwater
06-20-2006, 08:34 AM
Chris, the lake is full. The only rapalas we pulled were oversized, and no hits. There were a lot of rainbows feeding on the surface, but we didn't target them. We bottom bounced quite a bit, but kept hitting the same 12" to 15"ers. It would be great if DFG would plant fingerlings again. It's been a long time, and the fish are skinny.

JoeTech
06-20-2006, 03:07 PM
Chris - Trust me I've thought the same thing, but I purchased the boat to fish out of, I wouldn't think of taking it up during the day it will be probably early morning or late evening. I drive that road quite a bit in the fall, during hunting season. Plus I've seen bigger rigs going through that road. Will see, not sure yet. But thanks for the concern. :)

Joetech

mtalley
06-20-2006, 05:15 PM
Did Jim have the resort open yet and did you get any news on Florence? Thanks.

Atwater
06-20-2006, 07:32 PM
VVR's open for business, but I hear they're having some phone trouble. They're open though, and the ferry's running. Didn't hear anything about Florence.

mtalley
06-20-2006, 08:22 PM
Thanks, I can't waite to get up there.