PDA

View Full Version : Almanor Update

Fishing_Fanatic
06-18-2006, 09:46 AM
Just got back from a week at Almanor! ;D ;D

It sure is a beautiful Lake! We had 7 days and at least 7 different weather changes. From days in the 50s all the way up to 80 degrees. Probably one reason why the fishing was so flaky. Trollers generally were not doing much good. 1 to 3 fish days generally, with some days VERY slow.

The baitfishers were doing better. Fishing crickets and meal worms... these boats were getting limits early in the week, but towards the end of the week, even they were down to a couple of fish per boat. The crickets and meal worm combo is supposed to replicate the look of the Hex insects, they fish these right off the bottom.

Here is what I found, (and what others told me they have seen also):

- The Hex hatch was a few weeks ago. The fish fed heavily on this and the success for trollers recently has dropped off.
- Many fewer Browns this year. I didn't catch one on this trip. The # of stocked browns has decreased steadily over the past few years. What a shame.
- The fish are smaller in general. I caught a lot of salmon while trolling, but most were only 1 to 1.5 lbs. Although good fighters, they just aren't keepers. I threw them all back. They need to fatten up.
- The rainbows are smaller also. 1.5 to 2.5 lbs was the average. I kept a few of these. The fish were bright and healthy and fought really well.
- The blame for the smaller fish seems to be a decline in the baitfish population. Not sure why, but I guess this has been happening over the past year or so.

Anyways, we had a great time. A large, beautiful mountain lake, relatively uncrowded. Snow capped MT. Lassen in the background!

It would have been nice to catch a few more fish, but hey at least I wasn't working.

And besides, the bite has to turn around sometime, right!

Hope to go back in September. ;D ;D

firetrout
06-18-2006, 09:53 PM
Sounds like a great time . I will be heading up there at the end of this month for 10 days and to enjoy the fireworks on the 4th.

I like the way the meal worm/cricket combo works and you have to be there when the hatch is on to do any good.

Did you try by Lassen View? Try any bass fishing? How about trolling the Speedy shiners?

Badlands
06-19-2006, 11:29 AM
I was at Almanor over the weekend. Fishing Saturday was very slow. We didn't talk to anyone trolling that caught fish. We saw one bait fisherman land a fish near rocky point campground. We had no bites and fished around most of the lake.

Yesterday was much better. We trolled the Western Almanor area early yesterday from the forest service launch to the end of the Peninsula. We landed five rainbows to 3lbs. All fish were on red & gold speedy shiners trolled 10 to 20 ft down.

We charted large numbers of fish and saw several others caught. The surface temperature was approximately 66 degrees.

According to the local fly fishermen I spoke to (I don't fly fish) the hex hatch is expected to happen within the next week or so. Last year's hatch was around the Fourth of July. The locals are expecting the same timing this year. There is a hatch going now, but they aren't hex flies. They are a red colored nymph. There are a lot of float tubers around the forest service launch in the evenings.

firetrout
06-19-2006, 02:32 PM
Nice report Badlands,
Thanks,