PDA

View Full Version : will she float?Del Valle 6/9

fulltroutjones
06-09-2006, 12:27 PM
Had to test my new ,real old, 12 ft sears jobber..Is she watertight,does the 4.5 hp motor work,will fish finder work?better yet,are the trout still biting...backed it up looked good,floated off trailer,nice...one pull on motor,we have ignition..reverse good.forward,sweet,im fishin..dropped my rapalas in and trolled thru narrows and both bays.Nada...the fish finder was an under achiever,maybe bad batteries i hope..could get power,just no depth or grid of any sort..humming bird portable.if anyone has any suggestions besides new batteries....this boat must have some wild fish mojo..come on ..nothing..then i hit the dam and oh yes ,i feel the pull,nice smallmouth caught
Del Valle style,trollin for trout..i went around the bend into the bay and finally got my trout,12" planter in the lip,sent him on his way to get bigger or eaten by a striper...all in all a great day..in by 7:30 out at 11:30 ..a minor leak cancelled out by a perfect day on the water,without the limit..how did the rest of you guys do?Are the trout still accesible top lining?

n2trout
06-09-2006, 12:43 PM
I have that portable hummingbird model that comes with smartcast setup. MIne acts up only when batteries are low. It has 2 modes for the transducer. One for the smartcast that you can use with the watch viewing screen and the "regular" transducer mode where you use the sonar attached to your boat to identify fish and structure. I am sure there are better models out there for more money but I am pretty happy with mine.
As for trout bit at Del Valle ? I haven't had the pleasure of fishing that lake yet. Someday I will have to head down that way and hook up with some of the sniffers that know the in's and out's of that lake. 8-)
Good luck out there in your boat. Make sure you got a lifejacket and a portable vhf radio may not be bad idea either. Be Safe..Be Happy..Be alive to fish another day !!

AllFishNoWork
06-09-2006, 05:07 PM
Good job Jones on gettin out there [smiley=clap.gif]! You'll get all the extras dialed in soon, sounds the important things are good to go.

fulltroutjones
06-11-2006, 11:06 AM
took the boat to quarry lakes in fremont..hooked up with two small mouth on kastmasters.New batteries didnt help my fishfinder wich is a humminbird wide portable...oh well..thanks for the info guys and yes we do have life jackets been there done that,save a man from drowning once,never look at the lake the same again...We will be fishing in the sierra's next weekend..hope to have some pics from that trip for sure..thanks for the reply n2trout and allfish,way to make a fellow troutsman feel welcome..

fishingguy
06-11-2006, 10:10 PM
Great reports FullTrout!!

I also have a Sears 12' Aluminum boat and a Humminbird Wide Portable. I am in the process of selling my boat and getting a larger one. I bought the Humminbird fish finder on eBay about 2 years ago and never tried using it until recently. I am having problems with mine too. I can't get mine out of simulator mode and I found out that something maybe wrong with the transducer. I will be calling up Humminbird next week to see if I can send it in to see if this is the real problem. Kind of sucks, since the unit looks pretty new and the original owner only used it twice. I hope you get yours fixed and good luck up in the sierra's.

GoneCountry
06-12-2006, 04:30 AM
I have same test coming up a week from now I built this kayak over the winter and never took on maiden voyage . Looks like Icehouse will be the place. Ill bring some resin just in case. *I have some serious trout fishin to do out of this baby Just need to paint stars.....
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89/gonecountry2/kayak1.jpg

fulltroutjones
06-12-2006, 06:10 AM
good luck on the Kayak..she looks like a trout killer(or releaser)to me..i do believe it is my transducer that is the problem also.i think i will get a hold of hummingbird as my unit looks brand new..i will be upgrading the boat next summer,my dad and I are not little guys,so im sure we look like a grown man on a bigwheel in that boat,but we are on the water and thats what counts..so dont laugh as you cruise by us,unless we are getting skunked ,then it is perfectly understandable..