PDA

View Full Version : DFG NEEDS YOUR HELP AT FOLSOM LAKE

Garry
06-09-2006, 06:21 AM
PLEASE READ...PLEASE READ...PEASE READ
FISH AND GAME NEEDS OUR HELP
As many of you may already know...the American River Hatchery has been hit by a disease known as IHN disease. It can be fatal to salmonids including rainbow trout, king salmon. The disease has already cost the lives of over 1,100,000 king salmon fry that were destined to be released to the ocean as part of the American River KING SALMON plant.

I am no expert, but I am told the disease was spread either by (1)lack of following procedures (protocols) at the hatchery, (2)diseased fish somehow contaminating the eggs and/or fry at the hatchery or (3)the disease came down river through Folsom and Natomas lakes to the hatchery. The latter #3 is a very scary thought to DFG and HATCHERY PERSONELL. If fish above the hatchery are contaminated there is a major problem to resolve at the hatchery for future years of stocking.

THE DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND GAME IS ASKING FOR THE HELP OF ANGLERS to catch FOLSOM LAKE'S RAINBOW TROUT or KING SALMON and take them to the Granite Bay Launch Ramp area where they will take samples of the fish's blood, gills, spleen and kidneys. You may keep the fish after they collect the tissue for testing and THERE ARE NO SIDE EFFECTS THAT WILL HARM HUMANS and the fish are fine to eat. IT JUST KILLS FISH especially those that are stressed by overcrowding and in cold water conditions.

ON SATURDAY JUNE 17th, Fish and Game Pathologist Teresa Veek and a small team of DFG biologists will be at FOLSOM LAKE'S GRANITE BAY LAUNCH RAMP TO TAKE SAMPLES FROM THE FISH YOU CATCH. THEY WILL BE THERE FROM 9AM until 1PM. They hope that they can get samples from at least 25 to 30 trout or salmon.

THIS IS A MAJOR OPPORTUNITY FOR YOU TO HELP THE DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND GAME SOLVE THE MYSTERY OF WHERE THE DISEASE ORIGINATED.

Pathologist Teresa Veek will be on my radio show on Saturday morning explaning much of what I have brought up here and why they need your help. She will be on the program from approximately 6:34am til 6:44am this coming Saturday morning during our regulary scheduled, FISH AND GAME CORNER.

Please take the time to help out the DFG and do something that will have far reaching effects on our fisheries.

If you can go...take along a friend or two to be sure you get into the action. If you can't make it please pass on this message to anyone and everyone you know so that they may be able to help. ALSO... PLEASE COPY AND POST THIS MESSAGE ON ANY ANGLING MESSAGE BOARD YOU VISIT SO THAT WE CAN GET THE WORD OUT TO AS MANY ANGLERS AS POSSIBLE.

ENJOY a morning of fishing at Folsom Lake and stop at the DFG work area next to the GRANITE BAY LAUNCH RAMP between 9AM and 1PM to voluntarily donate samples for testing. Look for them...you'll find them.

THIS IS YOUR CHANCE TO HELP MAKE A DIFFERENCE and HELP THE DFG SOLVE THE MYSTERY OF THE ORIGIN OF THE DISEASE AT THE AMERICAN RIVER HATCHERY.

As anglers and sportsmen, this is our opportunity to help. The DFG does not ask much of us and this is our chance to be part of the solution. You can start fishing whenever you want but FISH AND GAME will be set up for samples between 9am aand 1pm.

***SATURDAY JUNE 17th***
***FOLSOM LAKE - GRANITE BAY LAUNCH RAMP***
***TROUT AND LANDLOCKED KING SALMON SAMPLES
WILL BE COLLECTED FROM 9AM until 1PM***

"PLEASE GO FISHING"...Don't you wish your wife would say that more?...then again...maybe she does.

To give DFG and myself an idea of how many of you will be able to attend please send and e-mail at sep@seps.com or simply post a response to this message on the board.

Thankyou,
Sep Hendrickson
Executive Director
California Inland Fisheries Foundation Inc.