PDA

View Full Version : Halibut Tide Question

fishhawk101
08-18-2008, 06:53 AM
I'm looking for general advice on why some spots are better in the incoming tide while others are better on the out-go. Can you help?

Also, is it just the difference in the hi and low tides that maters or is the actual level important?

thanks.

twoelk48
08-19-2008, 05:49 AM
Tides play a very important role on how you fish for anything. Also they determine if drifting for halibut is feasable or not. The stronger and faster the drift the harder it is to maintain proper presentation unless your prepared to slow the drift down and add more weight so you can bounce the bottom. I perfer trolling over drifting because I can cover more ground. I look for as small tidal difference between high and low as possible for several reason. First bait isn't being stripped off the bottom of the ocean floor into the mouth of a waiting halibut making my chances better. Smaller tide difference makes for less weight and calmer water as a rule. Fish tend to orinate themselves to the current facing into it so they can take advantage of the food source drifting by. Kent

fishhawk101
08-19-2008, 06:14 AM
Thanks. When you troll, is there a speed that you target?

Also, is there a good rule for distance between the flasher and bait?

twoelk48
08-19-2008, 06:27 AM
Speed I target is from 1.5 to 2.5 and more like 2.5 as a rule. You can get an indication if your going to fast by the angle of your line it should be at a 45 degree angle and your weight should be skipping off the bottom ( bottom bounching, but not dragging the bottom). Bait is 24 inches behind the dodger and dodger is 24 inches from the 3 way swivel. weight is on a 20 inch dropper. Kent