PDA

View Full Version : Philbrook Reservoir

ParadisePontoon
06-02-2006, 06:44 PM
Went up to Philbrook Reservoir on Sat, May 27th. *Lots of snow on the banks and some ice close to shore. * Ended up hooking 2, landing 1 rainbow trout (15"), *not the skinny ones that the other boats were catching, though. *Used a Jay Fair wiggle tail nymph on an intermediate sinking fly line. Water temperature = 37 degrees. *Outside temp = 34-38 degrees. *Dress warm, try some crawlers by the inflowing water...
Looking towards the dam...
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Gary223/PhilbrookMay27001.jpg
Looking left from the launch area...
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Gary223/PhilbrookMay27002.jpg
Looking south from the dam...
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/Gary223/PhilbrookMay27003.jpg

Erreck
06-02-2006, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the great report!!! The wife and I took the dogs up there yesterday and couldn't believe that there was that much snow still on the ground :o :o :o! We let the dogs play around at the ramp for a little while then tried to make it to the camp grounds... NOT GONNA HAPPEN! :-/!!! We quickly sunck in to some seriously think slush and didn't want to push it any farther :-/.

We're hoping to camp there on fathers day weekend, but may opt out if the ground conditions don't improve.

Plan on fishing it next weekend :D!

Mad_Russian
06-02-2006, 08:56 PM
I've never been there or heard about it....How far is it from Sacramento?

ParadisePontoon
06-03-2006, 05:35 AM
To get to Philbrook reservoir, go east on the Skyway out of Chico for about 30-35 miles (guesstimate) until the Skyway turns to dirt at Inskip. *Stay on dirt until you see the fork in the road where it briefly turns back to asphalt. *Turn right and follow the road (stay to right again at next fork) until you see the boat launch area. *ONLY BRING 4 WHEEL DRIVES, please! *It's NO fun getting stuck in the middle of nowhere in 30 degree temps! *Good luck to all!!!

Goodtimes
06-03-2006, 08:40 PM
Paradise Pontoon!!!

I am looking forward to heading up to Philbrook and to some of the othe surrounding lakes once the snow melts. Goodluck at the reservoir.

Goodtimes

Mad_Russian
06-03-2006, 08:54 PM
To get to Philbrook reservoir, go east on the Skyway out of Chico for about 30-35 miles (guesstimate) until the Skyway turns to dirt at Inskip. *Stay on dirt until you see the fork in the road where it briefly turns back to asphalt. *Turn right and follow the road (stay to right again at next fork) until you see the boat launch area. *ONLY BRING 4 WHEEL DRIVES, please! *It's NO fun getting stuck in the middle of nowhere in 30 degree temps! *Good luck to all!!!

Paradise Pontoon, thanks for the very detailed direction, I'll have to check out that place sometime soon.

SLOfisher
06-06-2006, 09:11 AM
Paradise Pontoon;

Your post brought back a lot of good memories. My dad and I used to fish Philbrook during the 60's, and caught a lot of nice fish there. I haven't seen anything posted about it before, so it was a nice surprise to see that it is still kicking out some fish.

We also used to camp at a little place called Coon Hollow, which is just up skyline a ways from the Philbrook turnoff. I think the creek that runs through there is a tributary of the West Branch of the Feather, but I'm not sure. I heard that the area has been closed down. Also shot a lot of deer up on the Soda Ridge area.

The whole area has a lot going for it, and has been kind of overlooked by most people - good thing, I guess.