PDA

View Full Version : Shasta Lake Information Please

Capt.Ken
05-30-2006, 10:04 AM
We are getting ready to go to Shasta for a week on a houseboat and I am taking my boat so I can take advantage of the fishing up there.
We are going to be on the Sacramento River arm most of the trip and was wanting to get any kind of information about the fishing up there.
We have never fished up there before.
If you have any info. it would be appreciate it.
THanks
Capt. Ken

ChasinTail
05-30-2006, 11:23 AM
You should stop by Phil's Propeller in Shasta Lake city on your way up. take the Oasis exit, turn right and then take your first left (not sure the name of the street) It's right off the freeway though. If you are gonna be in the Sac arm you can bass fish the points for spawning spotted bass. The fish are taking rubber worms in brown/green with dart heads. Or if you want to troll, troll the dam/dry creek arm with a dodger/(sling blade) and a hum dinger or cripplure trailing. Phil's prop shop has all this equipment and they can help point you in the right direction. Good Luck!

MrFisher
05-30-2006, 03:46 PM
Dito on what ChasinTail said. Phills has everything you might ever need and more. LOL They'll tell you what working.....
If your looking for Trout and just cruzing with the houseboat ,I'd start trolling around sugger loaf I sure there some still in that area from the plant , also Try the Salt creek off Oak grove on your way down. But by far the Dam and dry creek and back bone are you best bet for Trout & Salmon. If you are launching your boat , I would also suggest going south on I 5 a little from lake head and hitting hirz bay one day/ up the McCloud arm. Althow slow the Browns are still there( averaging 3 to 4+ pounds )and salmon and rainbows as well. Over all fishing has been good. Bass ( small mouth seem to be everyware,) never had to much trouble catching them. LOL Its early but I would't over look tossing a line out at night for a cat or two, Usly small 1 to 2 lbs, but there are some 5 & 6 s) They make good eating.
Took my son ,Just back from Irac, out yesterday and we both took limits , Combo of Salmon & rainbows. We put in at the Dam and fishing that aera. Hopeing you have a fish finder on your boat, It helps. But I got to say, some times I didn't even get a reading and we were hammering the salmon . I should say koks' LOL
Maybe I'll see you out there. Just look for the stars on the openbow boat. LOL
Good Luck
Robin

Captain_Morgan
05-30-2006, 04:20 PM
Hi Robin

Capt Ken. I did have good luck(for 2 days) trolling large slingblads with pink kokanuts,catching salmon at the dam & the dry creek inlet. Trolling 1.8 to 2.4 mph at 55'. That was a month ago.(sorry old news)

Budman
06-01-2006, 08:23 AM
Ditto most of the above. *The weather has been unusually pleasant--some wind but cooler than one would expect for this time of year.

Re directions to Phil's: *If heading North, it might be a little more convenient for you to exit I-5 at Pine Grove Avenue (a little North of Oasis), turn right at the stop, then right again (South) at Twin View (the old 99); the store is about a quarter mile on your left. *Ample parking for your vehicle and trailer.

After you leave Phil's and continue North on I-5 for about five miles, you will see the Shasta Lake Ranger District Forest Service Office and Visitors Center; exit at Old Oregon Trail, turn right and turn right again on Holiday Road. *The Visitors center has a lot of information about the area. *I would get the Shasta Lake BOATING SAFETY map. *It is free and is a very good resource for helping you keep oriented on the lake.

If I am out there, I will be monitoring VHF Channel 69.

Safety caution: *The lake level is still high. *With the increased level, there has been a lot of debris in the water, some of it big enough to ding a boat. *And of course can cause trolling rig problems. *This will continue until the lake starts going back down...

Capt.Ken
06-01-2006, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the info. guys.
We are looking forward to trying out a new lake and seeing some different landscape.
Capt. Ken