PDA

View Full Version : weird stomach contents

skunk-monkey
05-29-2006, 06:48 PM
Hey I picked up a couple fat rainbow this weekend at Donner Lake(went there for Kokes but they apparently saw me coming).

I always check stomach contents and the first wasn't full of anything unusual--just matter that look like it was probably bugs and stuff.

But the second fish, which was probably 14 inches, had a couple small pieces of wood (really small, like half a toothpick size), some seeds that looked like they might've been off last year's aspen trees, and some very small pebbles. All in all, only about a teaspoon amount of this stuff altogether, but nothing that appeared to have once been crawling or flying or swimming. I'm guessing it must've just been stuff she sucked up while feeding on the bottom but I've cleaned a lot of trout and have never seen anything quite like that. Any other guesses as to what its deal was?

ratss427
05-29-2006, 06:57 PM
i once caught a 14" bow at shasta,that had a 10" kids toy snake in its belly.it looked like a football!when i cut it open,i couldnt have been more surprised.the poor thing probably wasnt long for this world.but,it did hit my lure!?i also caught an 11" trout at lake merced with four cigarette butts in its belly.it just goes to show you that smoking is bad for your health. :D

AllFishNoWork
05-29-2006, 07:01 PM
I had a catfish a Folsom with a chicken drumstick in its' belly.

SuperDave
05-29-2006, 07:38 PM
This has happened to me many times but I still think it's odd. This weekend at Eagle, my biggest fish was so stuffed with snails that it was pooping shells when I tried to hold it.

ratss427
05-29-2006, 08:58 PM
This has happened to me many times but I still think it's odd. *This weekend at Eagle, my biggest fish was so stuffed with snails that it was pooping shells when I tried to hold it......OUCH!!!!...sounds like you put it out of its misery! ;) :D

Ikan_Mas
05-29-2006, 09:02 PM
Skunk Monkey:

This isn't too unusual. I've found sticks and stones in both holdover fish and fresh stockers at a number of spots. I've also found various weed seeds and the occasional cigarette butt as well. They also seem to like bass worms, as I've found then in the stomach as well. This winter I found freshwater clams in a rainbow at Los Vaqueros, which I though was strange. I have found them in Carp stomachs, but I didn't expect trout to be bottom feeders. When I told the guys at the local fly fishing store, they were kidding about creating a fly to mimic clams. Pitachios shells came to mind.

fishingguy
05-29-2006, 09:41 PM
Hey Skunk Monkey,

I also fished Donner Lake this Memorial Day Weekend. My gf and I fished it from bank on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Fishing was slow, we caught 2 small planter Rainbows Saturday. 2 small planters Rainbows on Sunday. 5 small planters Rainbows Monday. Today was the best day out of the 3.

I do not think it is weird with what you found inside the 2 trouts you caught. I have caught trout with cigarette buds and I have also caught one recently at San Pablo Res with half an anchovie inside it's belly.

Kneedeep
05-30-2006, 01:40 AM
My Dad and I were killing the trout at Folsom Lake one fall, flatlining at beals point over submerged islands on a overcast and very calm morning. When I cleaned the biggest, fattest, trout, it had a huge fist full of feathers in it's stomach. I am sure it could not have survived with such a massive ball of feathers in it's stomach. But it was still feeding. Kneedeep [smiley=winkfs.gif]

flatcom
05-30-2006, 03:32 AM
they could be like birds and swallow peebles to purge their stomachs, kinda like a good burp

troutfan
05-30-2006, 05:17 AM
I caught a holdover at Topaz Lake a couple of years ago that had one of those banjo minnows inside his belly. I guess that lure works.

krzyfshrmn
05-30-2006, 06:53 AM
* All the pebbles and sticks inside their bellys are most likely from eating "Caddis Fly larve". They build a cacoon like shell out of that material which the trout eat along with the larve ;) ;).

SuperDave
05-30-2006, 08:46 AM
* All the pebbles and sticks inside their bellys are most likely from eating Stone Fly nymphs. They build a cacoon like shell out of that material which the trout eat along with the nymph.

Thought we were going to hear something about a lucky rock. :-?

HSUdad
05-30-2006, 09:29 AM
I have also seen snail shells in Eagle lake fish as well (including this weekend) I also had two sections of tulies in a fish this weekend. both were about 1.5 inches long, but pretty big around. Not sure what that fish was thinking, but it's out of the gene pool now.

drstressor
05-30-2006, 10:03 AM
Geeze, it's caddis that build the cases out of debris, not stone flies. I hate it when they get it wrong. >:( ;)

The fish at Eagle often have a lot of junk in their stomachs. They feed heavily on snails in the spring. Since the snails are attached to the tules, the trout often swallow the whole stem.

The_Big_Sinus
05-30-2006, 12:26 PM
One of the fish I caught this weekend was "passing" a hook with about 3 inches of line on it, less rather than more successfully- the vent was somewhat torn. Otherwise the fish was healthy. Fish are both dumber and tougher (in some ways- so long as they're in the water) than we think.

Up in Northern BC, I caught several macks loaded with snails- and tapeworm cysts. The snails are a host organism. I have no idea if anything similar occurs in lakes in CA, but I assume it does at least some places.

krzyfshrmn
05-30-2006, 05:33 PM
I always get it wrong Doc......It's the whole "Stone" thing. Stonefly always slips out when I mention the little "stones" they use to create their cacoon........I never claimed to be that bright :P :P :-/ ;)

drstressor
05-30-2006, 06:44 PM
I never claimed to be that bright

Don't say that Krzy. You're one of my piscatorial heros. ;)

Elk-Fisher
05-30-2006, 07:13 PM
I have caught fish with many different items in their stomach's. One year at medicine lake (Siskiyou County) the flying ants were hatching. All of the fish I caught were loaded with flying ants to the point their stomach streached to the size of a golf ball. Once at Diamond lake I caught fish with leech's in their stomach. I've seen cig's, sticks, other fish, rocks, snails, paper and different types of insects. You never know what you'll find!

Elk-Fisher
05-30-2006, 07:28 PM
Check this out! *This is a large catfish that tried to swallow a basketball!

E-F

http://img424.imageshack.us/img424/1766/image0057sz.th.jpg (http://img424.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image0057sz.jpg)

krzyfshrmn
05-30-2006, 07:39 PM
I never claimed to be that bright

Don't say that Krzy. *You're one of my piscatorial heros. ;)

Forced to crack out the dictionary again doc ;D

E_D_Lindz
05-31-2006, 05:11 PM
Caught some rainbows at Berryessa a few years back that had thier stomachs just full of bees and ladybugs.

krzyfshrmn
05-31-2006, 05:19 PM
Why do people seem surprised to find insects in the bellys of trout ::) :o

Farrier_Frank
05-31-2006, 05:41 PM
Jeeesh, Krzy?? Trout don't eat bugs. Yuk! Trout eat Power Bait, usually chartreuse. ::)