PDA

View Full Version : A rough weekend at Buck's

somethingfishyhere
05-29-2006, 08:31 PM
Needed a good lake for the a "maiden voyage" of the '87 Starcraft -- after a leaky gas tank in early spring turned into a $4,000 remodel... ouch! Wanted to try Buck's lake for the first time. Got to Buck's Lake Lodge at 11:00 PM Friday after 5.5 hours on the road. Raining and foggy all the way up 70 from Oroville. We had apparently just missed a significant hail storm at the lodge, but were greeted with light snow. Woke Saturday morning to 2" of new snow on the boat (it was covered). Launched in light snow. Trolled the shorelines in freezing rain for a few hours Saturday afternoon with no success. Sunday morning was fairly nice, but still very cold -- no bites during a 3 hour run. Then mid-day, just before another hail event, landed a 4 lb Brown off Rainbow Point with a Koke pattern J-Plug out 7 colors. Trolled more Sat evening and Sunday morning with not a bite. I think the cold weather killed the bite, as nobody seemed to be doing any good.

Marked lots of fish each time out. Beautiful lake, with lots of nice folks. I'll be back and hope for better conditions.

SuperDave
05-29-2006, 08:38 PM
How was the drive up 70? We got about twice that amount of snow at Eagle this weekend. It was 90 degrees about 2 weeks ago!

somethingfishyhere
05-30-2006, 06:58 AM
Ya know... given the conditions -- dark, raining, foggy -- 70 was the right call. We went home via 162 on monday, and I wouldn't be afraid to go that way most of the time. Those grades are steep, but my boat is likely lighter than yours. We just geared down and enjoyed the trip. Coming home (San Rafael) was an hour quicker than going, though we had less traffic and much better driving conditions.

I hope the fishing was better at Eagle!

n2trout
05-30-2006, 07:29 AM
Sorry to hear it was such a slow bite on such a great lake.
I am headed up this Friday with the little woman. Was the lodge still open when you got there at 11 pm? I wont be checking in until probably 9 or 10 so I was curious. Keeping fingers crossed to do some serious "catching". *Thanks for the report. *:)

somethingfishyhere
05-30-2006, 05:51 PM
Check-in for both the cabins and the Timberline Inn is at the store, which is in the bar, which is open 'till midnight. *I called from the road to give them an ETA, but as long as the bar is open, you'll be able to check in.

It is a great lake!

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/5186/newphotos0328ig.jpg (http://imageshack.us)