PDA

View Full Version : Lyon's Report/ pics

Slim
05-20-2006, 11:36 PM
Checked out Lyons this evening. Parked, walked accross the Dam, and flyfished at the point. But What I really wanted to catch was a picture of either the Osprey or bald eagle catching the trout. They were both there. I saw 3 Ospreys and 2 bald Eagles and took lots of pictures. But they were too far away when they hit the waters to get any quality pictures...

To keep this a fishing report, there were lots of trout rising all over the lake. Some cruised *near enough to cast to but I got all excited and on my back cast snagged the tree behind me. (BOY, I WANTED TO FLOAT TUBE THE WATERS, BUT IT IS PROHIBITED :( ) Anyway; got no hits, but that was ok. Seeing the Birds pick up the trout was a treat in itself.

I hope this slide show works ..?? If it does then the first 3 pictures are of the osprey that flew over head. 4th picture is of the lake. 5th is looking down river from the Dam and 6th is the Dam itself.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v12/slim1/Lion%20Res/?action=view&current=Osprey10.jpg&slideshow=true&i nterval=5

Slim

wolfden
05-21-2006, 02:58 AM
So where is this lake??
I have never heard of it before

one_well_driller
05-21-2006, 07:16 AM
nice photos. where is the lake,it looks verry nice

Slim
05-21-2006, 09:55 AM
It's 20 min out of Sonora up hwy 108. Just pass Sierra Village. No boats or swimming are allow there nor camping. But you can picnic, and fish off the shore.

Slim

Flycanoe
05-21-2006, 04:34 PM
Here's my picture of Lyons when I was there 2 wks ago. *Glad to here the fish are still rising to the surface. *Thinking of stopping by again next weekend late in the day after hitting Beardsley. *Got a few more ideas for how to fish the surface that I want to try. *

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/9095/lyons21kx.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

ODDIE
05-21-2006, 05:11 PM
:) :)SLIM, Great pictures!! That is a beautiful lake and the bird pictures are fantastic.

ODDIE

zinger
05-21-2006, 05:37 PM
Great pics Slim. I've never been to the lake but it looks beautiful. I bet you could tear 'em up if you could ever get a boat out there.

zinger

bobby
05-25-2006, 08:17 AM
Slim, Were u only throwing lures....

Slim
05-25-2006, 08:02 PM

Yea, Just flyfishin. If I had some worms and a bobber I supose I would have had better luck...

Slim

Captain_Morgan
05-25-2006, 08:20 PM
Hey Slim, Did you snap those pictures? They look pro. Atleast the bird shots do. If you did great job.

YakMotor
05-26-2006, 02:01 AM
GREAT SHOTS! I've seen osprey after they have hit the water and are struggling to carry their catch, but have yet to see the actual dive.

Yeah, I've caught many more trees than trout when stream or bank casting. Might be good place to try tossing your fly to those rising fish with a spin rod and casting float setup.

bobby
05-26-2006, 01:14 PM

Yea, Just flyfishin. If I had some worms and a bobber I supose I would have had better luck...

Slim

Did u drive all the way down to where the river feeds the lake?

Slim
05-26-2006, 05:14 PM
Did u drive all the way down to where the river feeds the lake?

Nope. Just stayed at the main lake.

Slim
05-26-2006, 05:21 PM
Hey Slim, Did you snap those pictures? They look pro. Atleast the bird shots do. If you did great job.

Thanks!! not pro (Not yet anyway ;) )

It's the new camera though... Nikon D50.

While bass fishin at Pedro I caught some redtail Hawks...
http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1148446903

Kneedeep
05-27-2006, 11:19 AM
Slim can you take a raft with a electric trolling motor in the lake? If not I bet castmasters would be the ticket. Kneedeep

Slim
05-27-2006, 01:17 PM
Slim can you take a raft with a electric trolling motor in the lake? If not I bet castmasters would be the ticket. *Kneedeep

The sign say's "No body contact" "no Boats" etc, etc.

I talked to the forest service personel this morning because I saw two kids unloading a small pram there, who said they've seen people canoeing there. The forest people said nothing in the waters are allowed. PG&E runs the lake so they have a care taker that police the area. I don't know what athority he has ??? But people do get away with things at times. I just don't want to get caught float tubing and get into trouble, I just want to fish.

Slim

ratss427
05-27-2006, 07:39 PM
great pics slim.i have fished lyons from a boat many ,many times.of couse that was probably 12 years ago.you used to be able to get in from the other side of the lake as well.not sure what the exact rules are now.it was always electric motor only....and yes kneedeep,kastmasters work very well there. :)