PDA

View Full Version : Mc Clure report

iron-man
05-25-2006, 04:22 PM
Went to Mc Clure Wed and thur. Wednesday Big Al and I trolled frozen shad and limited on rainbows and salmon . The bows were up to 1 1/2 lbs. But the salmon were nice and fat up to 3 lbs +. About 19 inches for some of them. Had our limits by 11:00 .Went back today with Dick wondering if weds. outing was a fluke. The salmon bite on shad wasn't as good( caught 5 up to 2 1/2- 3 lbs) had a few more strikes. But the rainbow bite was great. Leaded line with flashers and crawlers at around 16 ft. at 1-1.2 mph.Biggest rainbow around 3 1/2 lbs maybe a bit heavier.Put 5 bows in the boat lost 3 at the boat had 3-4 more strikes but no hookups. Fished with 4 poles(two of us) and most of the action was on the leaded line and crawlers, at least on thursday .The salmon were caught from 28 ft down to 45ft( mostly at 28 ft) and their bite seemed to stop around 9-9:30 both days. Main channel in front of the dam out to in front of the launch ramp. Watch out for shallow ridges . I'd go again tomorrow but with the holliday weekend coming up and all the boat and wave runner traffic and skiers I think I'll just stay home and play with the grand kids.Have a nice Holliday. Iron-man

Topaz_Tom
05-25-2006, 06:22 PM
Great Report iron-man ::), sounds like you had fun. Do you ever fish Bagby?, my buddy in Mariposa said they're doing good their too. We'll be heading that way when one of the passes opens up. Have a good weekend Tom [smiley=angling.gif]

Ironhead
05-25-2006, 06:43 PM
Iron-man

Great report and congrats on the nice fish. Were you running flashers or a dodger in front of your shad? Or just in a harness by itself? Definitely going to be a busy weekend. With the colder temps it may keep a few of the water lice off until the afternoon. Maybe thinking about trying it on Sunday morning.
Thanks for your help.

Ironhead

iron-man
05-25-2006, 08:47 PM
Ironhead, No did not use a dodger ahead of the shad. Actually we did on one set up wed, on one of the deep sets (40ft) . I think we must have had one bite( the shad was tore up and mostly missing) but it must not have hung cause I didn't see it. So I may have trolled for a while before checking the bait. On wed the other three rods kept us pretty busy. Didn't try a dodger on thurs. The one leaded line kept us busy. We did try one of those rigs where you snap in a shad, one with a chip no luck there either. Wait till the middle of next week for the lake to settle down. There were three times as many boats out thur. than wed. Plus today(thur) there were a lot of house boats moving, to find a spot for the weekend I suppose. good luck. iron-man

iron-man
05-25-2006, 09:05 PM
Topaz-tom No Ive never made it that far up river. I usually fish a number of areas up by the dam and in a creek arm south of a bunch of house boats. If I don't do any good there I'll normall run up to horseshoe bend. I have been upstream from there just a bit but not much. I like to fish the narrows early in the season so maybe I'll try it. Thanks. I do not normally fish Mc Clure. I spend a lot of time in the early Spring at Melones and know that lake pretty well. I do not wish to fish explicitly for kokane so I seek other lakes to fish this time of the year. The salmon at Mc Clure have me interested .I do spend alot of time up river at Melones so results should be similiar to M c Clure.You are telling me that you come all the way over here from Topaz to fish our lakes .I spend most of my summer over in your country fishing your lakes and trying my luck at Topaz Lodge . good luck. iron-man

fishnmike2002
05-26-2006, 08:44 AM
Iron-man,

Great report. I was wondering where those fish went to. I've been up at Horseshoe but lost the fish up there two weeks ago. Looks like I need to head to the dam now.

FishnMike