PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Basin Report-UVR Update 5-24

Capt.Ken
05-24-2006, 11:44 AM
Ice House reservoir fishing is still pretty slow. About the only thing being caught at this time is planters in the top 10 ft. of water. The Brown bite is also extremely slow.
Loon Lake report is that the lake is fishable at this time, but the campground is not going to be open yet. Haven't heard any fishing reports as to how fishing has been.
Union Valley Reservoir fishing is good. We are still catching some good quality macks. The kokanee are starting to be caught in the top 10 ft. of water. The rainbow action is starting to pick up along the shore lines with flashers and crawlers being your best bet. The lake is extremely full. Fishing will improve with the warmer weather to come.
Check out the Mack board for more info.
I will be on the water THur., Sunday and Monday on channel 69 if you need any info.
Capt. Ken

GoneCountry
05-24-2006, 12:51 PM
Hey Ken I have fished Ice House ALOT but I didnt even know there were macs in Unioin Valley.......Do you think its possible to still get them in the middle of June??? I only can remember my folks hookin up with another couple and gettin Koke's at union Valley,,,,,. I havent caught one of those yet either...........I just cant seem to get past that first lake

Capt.Ken
05-24-2006, 02:50 PM
It is still possible to catch macks in Union in June. When you are fishing for the kokes you run a mack lure underneath the school of kokes. Probably won't catch but maybe 1 a day later but they are still catchable.
Capt. Ken

GoneCountry
05-24-2006, 06:22 PM
Cool as I said I will be staying at Ice House for the last 2 weeks of June..I want to make a day trip over there and give it a try.............Why do you thik there is no koke's in Ice House ????/ Macks????

Don
05-24-2006, 07:28 PM
The thing I like about the Crystal Basin is that the lakes are fairly close.
You can go to Ice and still fish Union Valley.We go the other way.Head to Stumpy Sun.Set camp and fish the evening. Early morning go to Loon.Evening fish Stumpy.

Go the other way Camp at Ice house fish the evening.Early morning head to Union Valley then back to Ice House. Works GREAT ;)
Don

GoneCountry
05-25-2006, 07:07 AM
I think you hit the nail on the head...Thats it you get to the lake of choice and if its not doing well you have so many within a 75 mile radius
Ice House...Union Valley.....Loon Lake....Gerle Creek Res....Wrights Lake....Spyder Lake ......Stumpy.......Hell Hole....French Meadows.....and more rivers and lakes I cant think of right now.......I just like the versatility.......and guess what ....you can even make a day trip to tahoe if you wanted to. Ive even found myself starting on HWY 88 at Bear River Resort for a few days....then the Carson River on to Tahoe for the day and swing back to 50 camp on the american and in the morning up to crystal basin..............Just so COOL........to be able to do that.......

rtandersen
05-25-2006, 06:30 PM
All the lakes up there are good . Gerle creek is a natve brown trout lake. The fish are average size but very tough to get. Bait of choice is crickets or orange and brown power bait
Nice place to camp because on gerle there is no motors allowed. We go up every june and never have got skunked. My son and i pratice c & r so others can catch native browns.
Randy