PDA

View Full Version : North Fork Feather River & creeks

vyperstriker
05-23-2006, 02:01 PM
Does anyone have any info on the North Fork of the Feather near Quincy. Also, wondering about some of the creeks in that area like Deer creek, Yellow Creek, and Spanish creek. I'm going up there for the Memorial Day weekend to camp and fish, and just curious what the flows are like, and if any fish are being caught?

Thanks 8-)

Fish_R_Us
05-24-2006, 07:00 AM
Id be interested to know any reports about the area. I wouldn't be suprised to find there's still snow in the shady areas. My father use to take me up to the North Fork every opening day since I was about 10 years old. We use to go to the North Fork Feather River between the SR-70 bridge upstream to the Caribou campgrounds. I use to also hike up the Yellow and Mosquito Creek miles upstream. I still remember all the areas between the Poe, Cuesta and Belden powerhouses. I hav'nt been up there in about 20 years. We use to catch alot of big suckers in the lower, warmer areas of the river. We use to hit alot of small creeks around Butt Creek and the Lake Almanor area. I'd like to go back sometime to see if things have changed.

GoneCountry
05-24-2006, 07:33 AM
Just so far away for me But I used to camp in that belden area your talken about..........I went up there a total of 3 times and 2 of them I got there by driving that dirt hairpin turn road that is by Lake Almanor...Man I had a 27 foot motorhome and got so far and couldnt turn around...Man was that a adventure.....We made it down to caribou and spent the night.....another time we spent the whole week at the campground we fished and when it got to hot to fish we inner tubed down the river.....NOT THE MAIN RIVER that small tributary that flows thru the campground.................Have Fun and let us know..We used to catch alot of brookies in there on worms

wolfden
05-24-2006, 07:45 AM
I live in Portola and the Middle Fork running through town is still high,though not as high as a week or two ago.
I was down in the Quincy area a week and a half ago and the creeks and rivers down there were still high, but had cleared up pretty good so fishing could be alright.

vyperstriker
05-24-2006, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the info guys, I'm sure there is still some snow in the higher elevations above 5500 ft. If the flows are still pretty high, I'll just have to scout out the area and search for some deep pools and pocket water. Has anyone ever heard of or fished Deer creek? How about some of the creeks below Almanor. I'm just lookin for the best bet to catch some trout, preferably over 12 inches. A nice fatty brown would make my weekend a success.

Thanks

Fish_R_Us
05-24-2006, 09:30 AM
My dad use to take me to fish the Deer Creek and Mill Creek areas. There's plenty of pocket water to keep you amused there. I have some friends that live in Cohasset. I can ask them how the creek conditions are but i'd be willing to bet they are all "high and roily". I wouldn't be travelling around those forestry roads w/o 4WD until it dries up some.

vyperstriker
05-24-2006, 09:54 AM
Thanks friend,
I have a 4x4 Tacoma so I'll be OK unless I come upon some huge unlpowed snow drifts. I'm going to fish Spanish creek on Friday, Bucks lake on Saturday. Looking for something new on Sunday. maybe (Deercreek, Yellow creek, or ?), Then on Monday I'm packin up the camp in the morning and heading over to Lassen Valley to fish Hat creek and Baum Lake. Wish me luck.

Fish_R_Us
05-24-2006, 10:15 AM
I had a blast catching rainbows and small browns up in these areas. The only thing that would entice the browns were grasshoppers, hellgramites and stonefly nympths. I learned how to creek fish up there. Musta looked funny as a kid scrounging the creek and trails for bait. God bless my Dad - he taught me right.

vyperstriker
05-24-2006, 10:27 AM
Thanks Fish_R_Us,
This will be my first fishing trip into the Feather River Canyon. I usually fish Hat Creek near Old Station and the Cassel area. I've always done pretty good there with nightcrawlers, or even pink plastic worms. Also the usually array of hardware spinners, and spoons. Sounds like all the rivers are still at high flows. Wish I could wait a few more weeks to go, but just started a new job and this is my only time to get a quick vacation until August. Had to reserve a campsite at Spanish Creek near Quincy, because of the possible Memorial Day influx of vacationers, Only spot I could get. Oh Well, I make the best of it, and I know that I will catch fish. Its all just a matter of how many and how big?

8-) 8-) 8-)

Joe_Local_Guy
05-24-2006, 11:22 AM
This is from about a month ago, but the river is still high, especially in the canyon.
Caribou road is also higher than normal. Spanish creek through town is also high, but has been planted,and is clear.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/Joelocalguy/100_1251.jpg

vyperstriker
05-24-2006, 11:28 AM
Whoah from that picture, the river looks unfishable. You say that was from a month ago? Hopefully its gone down some since then. Maybe enough to where I can find a few pockets of slower moving water and pools to fish. If the Feather is still blown out, I'll just concentrate on the creeks. How about bank fishing from some of the lakes. Bucks Lake? I don't have a boat. If Bucks is open maybe I could rent a boat there? Otherwise maybe I'll fish from the bank.

Fish_R_Us
05-24-2006, 11:41 AM
vyperstriker,
Sounds like you have the Hat Creek area down pat. The Hat and Pit River areas are among some of the prettiest scenic areas I've seen outside of Alaska and Northwest Territories. I enjoy visiting all the drainages into the Shasta area but it's always been a long drive from down here. Are the Hat Creek rainbows part Coleman hybrids or are they a separate subclass? I've always done good on the Middle Feather around Clio/Blairsden area. Shoot by the looks of that photo - all my old fish'in holes are probably gone for good, just a bunch of memories now. Also, my mother grew up in Susanville and my Dad was raised up in Chico. So between all my aunts/uncles that whole area is local stomping grounds - from the Modoc Plateau/Warner Mtns. on down. Good luck.