PDA

View Full Version : berryessa sat. 5/6

smilin_wide
05-06-2006, 02:43 PM
Great day on the water. We launched at Capell Cove and had three in the boat in the first half an hour. Nice work right? Wrong...we decided to leave the area some people call "the pipes" near spanish flats. We figured we'd go to skiers cove and not a bump for an hour. Bass fished for fun for an hour and needed to be home early so headed back and caught two more near Capell Cove and found out from other fisherman that it was hitting all morning there.

fished 7-11 and got 5 trout in the top 15 feet of water. They measured from 12-14 inches. All caught on leadcore and needlefish. We caught 3 on a black dot frog pattern and 2 on what I think they call bikini. (yellow and orange dot) One guy I talked to said he had 20 hookups on a trout colored rapala (top-lining)

The fish were clean. I am still not too sure how to tell the difference between trout and salmon easily. Two had pink meat inside, so I guess they might be salmon?

Keep Smilin

Empire
05-06-2006, 03:38 PM
*I am still not too sure how to tell the difference between trout and salmon easily. *Two had pink meat inside, so I guess they might be salmon?

Keep Smilin

Thank you for posting your report!

The easiest way to tell them fishies apart is the forked tail salmon have.

Big_D
05-06-2006, 04:32 PM
Smilin,
There are a few ways to identify King Salmon, Empire is right the easiest way is the forked tail.
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/525/medium/fuji_pic_229.jpg
The fish on the stick left to right Rainbow,King,Rainbow,King, King

King Salmon have the distinctive forked tail, and they taste better than Rainbows.

Thanks for the report I'm heading to Berryessa in the morning 8-)

Big D

smilin_wide
05-06-2006, 04:36 PM
thanks for the tip

I guess I should have known that.