PDA

View Full Version : Amador Report. 4/27/06... Not too good.

Fishbrain
04-27-2006, 06:38 PM
Got to Lake Amaddor around 9:30 AM. Met Partner and JW at the parking lot. Fish4Fun was out there too.

It was slow. Very slow. I worked all day long from 9:45 to 3:30 PM for 3 trout (@2 - 3 lbs each), a bass, and the biggest sunfish I've ever caught.

The ticket for the day was to go deeper (@10 - 12 feet down). The surface temps started out around 60+ degrees in the AM to 75 in the PM in the arms (Rock Creek and Jackson).

The bait of the day was a night crawler behind a spinner. I also caught a trout on my trusty F-7 Rapala (red w/ gold belly).

Everyone else headed to the far end of the lake, but I stayed nearer to the dam. It proved to be the right choice as I had two LDRs (one on the crawler and one on the Rapala) and boated two nice trout and a bass (all three on the crawler set-up). The best area for me was around the mouth to the boat ramp cove. Especially, the point on the right as you come out. I shared that with the guys on the radio and the next thing you know there was five boats hanging around.

The bite slowed and I headed farther out. Heard on the radio that Fish4Fun lost the biggest trout he'd ever seen. So, I thought I'd try to catch it for him. (Yeah, right...)

In the Jackson arm I caught a trout trolling the Rapala. Marked more fish there than anywhere else on the lake. They wouldn't bite, so I through a night crawler under a bobber into the masses and came out with the monster sunfish.

Partner and JW weren't having any luck, but they worked all day long trying.

Well, that's it. In summary:

Downriggers, night crawlers w/ a spinner, in the dam area. Good luck. Hope it gets better for you guys.

Fishbrain
04-27-2006, 06:46 PM
One more thing... The bankies were doing pretty good. I saw several hook-ups near the ramp dock as I was heading out and a couple off the damn in the far corner where all the debris sits. Don't know what they were using. Just saw them with fish...

freon
04-27-2006, 07:35 PM
Fishbrain, sorry to hear that you had such a slow day(and everyone else) but thanks for posting at least. I am sure that it will break loose at any time. I am still holding out hope for sunday, so I sure hope all that are heading out until then will post with their results *;)
Still beats cabin fever though, doesnt it?
Freon

n2trout
04-27-2006, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the post. Sounds like that last monster plant of trout must of been at the boat ramp area. They are probably floating power bait over there nailiing them. Sounds like you got into a few good fish and you defintely started on flatlander time. [smiley=plumber.gif] [smiley=fishhead.gif]

45_Auto
04-27-2006, 08:22 PM
Was one of the bankers there today. Tried first at the spillway, and other than a few bluegill and a yearling largemouth-nada. Moved over to the ramp area after lunch, and saw a number of fish that had been caught. Had a couple of hits, and lost one when the leader popped. Most of the fish caught were taken on a Green powerbait/crawler combo fished about 24" off the bottom. Did see a number of fish break water, including a couple of 16"ers come completely out. Once the boats started to return to the ramp, everything pretty much died, though a few fish started to break water around 3:30 as we left.

dirty3hirties
04-28-2006, 06:13 AM
Fishbrain

75!!! *HOLY MOLY! *Last year, it wasn't 75 degrees until late May! *Doesn't make sense to me * :-?

GoneCountry
04-28-2006, 06:38 AM
Yeh Im afraid its gonna get worse the temp is forcast in the mid 80's for the next 5 days. The fish will go deep.......I hope I didnt miss the ride this year

Troutcoach
04-28-2006, 09:03 AM
Good luck to everyone out there this weekend. I'm tempted to hit Amador this weekend, but I have the feeling that it is going to be crazy crowded.

firetrout
04-28-2006, 10:36 AM
Troutcoach,

There's nothing to big that your pontoon can't handle. :-? Plus the weather will give you a good burn. :o 8-)

Everyone will be at the other surrounding lakes anyway. ;)

Troutcoach
04-28-2006, 11:00 AM
There's nothing to big that your pontoon can't handle.

As long as I make sure the gas tank is filled up. :-[

Actually, I think I'm gonna take a "mental health" day off of work next week and hit Amador then. I plan on going to one of my other favorite lakes Saturday. I haven't been there yet this season and this is the last weekend before they start letting all the lake fleas and skiiers on it.

n2trout
04-28-2006, 11:36 AM
Was at Rocklin Fisherman Warehouse this morning, it was so crowded you had to pick a number out of a hat just to get in the door!
Just yoinking your lines. [smiley=yikes.gif] *[smiley=angling.gif]Thought you might all need a little "action". It was super busy though. Opener is in full force, tackle shops being raided and every other car on road is towing a boat. I was going to go fishing tomorrow, but maybe I will wait and start my vacation on Monday. :-/

hunkfisher
04-28-2006, 12:23 PM
This is what i was afriad of all this super we and col weather then bam it hits high 80s right after, the fishing will bust loose but it sounds like it going to be tougher from shore oh well go deep!!!!

Brad "Hunkfisher"

[smiley=swimmingfish.gif]

Paddleman
04-28-2006, 05:04 PM
Boy, these Amador posts have been dismal. *Double digit numbers were the rule a short time ago. These lakes should be producing like gang-busters now that the water has had time to clear some. *Drift Wizard has been hounding me to go. I know the lakes Guru's that have the secret touch have been quite or not fishing.

That cleaning station should be a busy place this weekend. *

Paddlemans predictions: *Look for those cutbows to get a wake up call from this weekends Sniffers. *

I will be awaiting a positive report come Saturday evening from the Amador forum folks.

Dennis
04-28-2006, 05:57 PM
I fished Amador with my grumpy neighbor. We started out in Jackson Creek and picked up a large crappie that was bigger than my hand. Let him go and then headed down into Rock Creek where we picked up the only trout a small DFG sized planter. We made a trip through Doney bay and up past the spillway. My neighbor had one hit there and another up near the dam on a dodger and a red Rainbow Runner. He had phone calls to make so we headed into the lodge for a couple of free lunches and then back to the house by 12:30.

The bank fishermen were doing well right of the launch ramp just after the plants. The corner of the dam and the spillway also seemed to do well. It appeared that the lake was planted two or three times today. Hopefully things will turn on shortly. Water temp was 68.5 at 6:30 and hit 71 at 11:00. Water was still murky with a lot of debris and algae. Lake level is still up but not spilling. Water was coming in at Rock Creek.

I suggest drift fishing or banking it and picking up a few that way. Good luck.

firetrout
04-28-2006, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the report Dennis. It is dismal and hard to believe. Did you use downriggers at all? I am wondering if I should just stay near the dam and spillway? :-/

4 1/2 hours total driving time makes me think of staying closer. :-X

I'll have to leave it up to Fire Minnow, It's his day to decide.

Paddleman
04-28-2006, 07:45 PM
From what I have read, Berryessa looks to be the hot ticket right now. Three positive reports this week. Those kings in Rod Bender post look mighty fine. FireTrout, take the fireminnow where he is going to get some action. Amador right now looks to be fishing tough for the boaters.

Dennis
04-28-2006, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the report Dennis. *It is dismal and hard to believe. *Did you use downriggers at all? * I am wondering if I should just stay near the dam and spillway? :-/

4 1/2 hours total driving time makes me think of staying closer. :-X

I'll have to leave it up to Fire Minnow, It's his day to decide.
Yes I had one downrigger at 6', 8' and as deep as 32' during various times of the day. A dodger or flashers might have helped.