PDA

View Full Version : Collins Lake Report

CraigV
04-25-2006, 12:52 AM
Hello Sniffers. Since we had such a bad day on Sat. Striper fishing on the feather river,(one 15incher all day), we talked the wives and kids into a family fishing outting on sunday at collins lake for some quality family time, and also to give me and Bemoelongliner another days worth of fishing. Pretty clever we are! So we packed up two boats, the families and the gear and got to the lake about 11am. There were a decent number of boats on the water on sunday but not too bad. water level is still full so plenty of room to maneuver. Water clarity has really improved over the last two weeks. not too shabby. *The trout fishing wasnt too bad either. between us, the wives and the 3 kids, we managed to bring in a good days worth of fish. Maybe 2 limits worth or so.some we let go. The two bigger fish we kept were both in the 3lb range. Bmoelongliner caught the majority, we split the two bigger fish, and my wife caught the rest. *unfortunately, bmoe's wife, their two kids and my daughter didnt land any. *Not a spectacular day, but not a bad day either and fun to have the families out with us for once. also, they cant complain that we were gone all weekend while they stayed home.

fish were caught both trolling and from the bank. we used mini lake flashers in front of various lures. siver/orange kastmaster, firetiger rapala and brown trout pattern. *My biggest fish was caught with an inflated worm from the bank. orange power nuggets, pink powerbait and sunrise power eggs all caught the other fish. chartreuse was not working. It was good to see fish breaking the surface throughout the day. Others on the lake also did OK, while some just could not find them. If weather stays good, i think the next month will be good times at collins lake. go during the week if you can instead of on weekends. plus,its cheaper. good luck. * CraigV

Pictured is some of the trout we caught on sunday.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j205/CortezRoom/smallercollins.jpg

Troutcoach
04-25-2006, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the report. Good to heat that Collins is starting to turn on finally.

greengoop
04-25-2006, 08:25 AM
We are looking for a place to go camping and fight the crowds on memorial day weekend. Has anyone been to collins that weekend? Is it fishable, or too much activity on the water? Anyone stay in the open camping area? I am trying to find a place that will be reasonable for cost, let me fish, and have a beach/playground for the kids, and not too far from downtown sacto. Collins seems to fit fairly well.

Thanks
GG

wish4afish
04-25-2006, 10:02 AM
Greengoop,
Collins is great place to take the kids. The open camp area has large sites compared to the areas that are close in to the boat ramp. The drawback is that it's a bit of a walk to the playground, but you can drive to it and park. Also don't forget your quarters for the showers. The best part that the whole family will never forget are the monster ice creams at the store. They're the best!!! Need any other info .... feel free and ask! Have a great time.
Ronald

HollyWentFishin
04-25-2006, 12:17 PM
Collins is an excellent family camping destination. It will be crowded to extremely crowded on the holiday wekend, you may want to check into reservations.

AllFishNoWork
04-25-2006, 12:22 PM
I agree 100% Holly, I'm not sure I could have done better if I had made that post myself. ;)

Dangler
04-25-2006, 10:03 PM
Collins is super-packed on Memorial Day. I've had flasbacks to Raider games while standing in line for the johnnie on the spot. Reservations a must-especially if you want hook-ups.