PDA

View Full Version : Del Valle 4/2:  One for the records

dirty3hirties
04-02-2006, 03:26 PM
How many fish can 2 people catch? Troutboy and I were wondering the same thing. Here's the scenario. In the water at 6:30....headed straight to the south shore, scoped out the structure for 5 min. then decided to drop anchor and just give it a shot. Troutboy looked at his watch, and said "5 min...no fish yet" then "ZZZZZZZZZ".....that oh so beautiful sound of your drag just screaming. From then on, it was non-stop action till 1:30!!! Okokok....maybe a 30 min. lull in there somewhere. We had 2 doubles, 1 triple and 1 largemouth. After it was all said and done.....we boated 45!!!! Yup...count 'em....45!! The fish got progressively bigger through the day.... 3 were around 3 lbs with the largest being around 4 lbs easy. The rest that we kept were basically identical...around the 1 1/2-2 lb range. We almost ran out of hooks, used up over 24 worms and almost 1 can of white power eggs and a can of orange ones. We tried using circle hooks so we could release them easier....worked about 50/50.

The action was so furocious that for the first 30 min, I couldn't get 2 rods in the water. With me helping Troutboy net his fish, and me rebaiting my first rod....the 2nd just sat there. Talk about stress!

I have to thank Firetrout and Tule for their insite. We were floating worms with every poweregg/gulp on the boat. White, Chartruese, pink and orange. At first, it didn't seem like the fish preferred any particular color. By the end of the day, orange took the lead (we ran out of worms so were just using Powereggs). Even when we left, the bite was still hot, catching 8 in the last 40 min or so.

Leader length seemed to be the big determining factor....I started out with about an 18 in leader. Against what people had posted, Troutboy went with his gut and had about a 2 ft. leader.....maybe slightly longer. He was knocking them dead so I had to switch it up. By the end of the day.....I had 21 fish and he had 24. You know it's an awesome day when you end up with 21 fish and you come in 2nd!!! ;D

Sorry, we don't have many pix...we started taking some, but it just became too hectic. But Troutboy should download them so we can add them later. :)

Can't wait till next week.....don't think we can match this effort but it would be fun trying!!!!!

Dirty30's

fish4fun
04-02-2006, 03:34 PM
FANTASTIC! Thanks for the report. What a nice way to beat the winter blahs.. Larry

AllFishNoWork
04-02-2006, 03:34 PM
Congrats on the great catching!

Diego916
04-02-2006, 04:07 PM
That's great!

Pics! [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Johnny
04-02-2006, 04:28 PM
Nice record, it reminds of the narrows last year, non-stop, how many boats were floating in the south end..

cuhogn
04-02-2006, 04:41 PM
awesome day when you end up with 21 fish and you come in 2nd :o :o
Great story of a great day, I hope all your 'neighbors" fishing around you didn't go away talking to themseleves to much ;D

dirty3hirties
04-02-2006, 04:50 PM
Johnny..

Surprisingly, there were only 3-4 boats anchored there....and no more than 2-3 at a time and none that were really close to us either. I was really expecting a lot more. There were 4 guys in pontoons drifting around early in the morning.

Cuhogn..

Yeah...everyone was into some fish....but not quite at the frenetic pace that we were catching them at. Most guys were using powerbait though. I am a total fan of powereggs/gulps, haven't touched PB in months (what am I gonna do with that double barrel can of chartruese! That thing is HUGE :o ) Troutboy still prefers good ole fashioned PB, but after today, he'd have a hard time making a good case for them. Plus I think the worms have to had made a difference as well. We were the only ones using them it seemed.

fish4fun
04-02-2006, 04:54 PM
Definitely sounds like the worms made a difference, but your egg/worm combo was really the hot ticket. Great Fishin'.. Larry

cuhogn
04-02-2006, 04:55 PM
I'm sure the PB you have will come in handy sometime ;)

and no more than 2-3 at a time and none that were really close to us either.
You were just two busy to see them going away scratching their heads [smiley=hissyfit.gif]

firetrout
04-02-2006, 05:33 PM
Glad for your great day with Troutboy :)
It sure helps that we sniffers share our results.
I know what you mean, as soon as the baits gets to the bottom you sometime get hit again and no time for a rest. ;)

Great job.

Tule
04-02-2006, 05:40 PM
Way to go Dirty30's!!! I wanted to hit the lake first thing this morning but other things came up and it didnt happen :-[, next time!!!.......Jason

dirty3hirties
04-02-2006, 05:58 PM
Tule,

Yeah, I was looking out for a Klamath with your markings but I didn't see any. The day was pretty much perfect...no rain and just a slight breeze and oh yeah. 45 FISH CAN'T HURT EITHER! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Vole
04-02-2006, 06:18 PM
Great job guys. I'm surprised you had enough eggs and hooks. I bet your arms are sore. I cant wait to go out again next weekend.

How far from the tule's were you anchored?

n2trout
04-02-2006, 07:01 PM
Dang your reels must of been Smoking! 8-)
Way to go. One of these days I am gonna have to give that lake a shot. ;)

dirty3hirties
04-02-2006, 07:01 PM
Troutboy always tells me "you can't have enough gear..." In this case, he was right....I'll never be able to live it down now. hahaha ;D

How far from the tule's were you anchored?

Hmmmm. It would hard to gauge, but I would have to say at least 150 yds off...maybe 200 and pretty much directly in front of them....not off to any one side.

cptfishalot
04-03-2006, 12:24 AM
Fantastic information that lake is within 20 minutes haven't been there in awhile..
Salmon in Monterey not going cause of weather
Delta would be fun, but just alot in flow and high water and muddy ground....
Fresh Trout sounds real good and listen to the Giants game...If I decide to go there I will post report and photos...

wifesathome
04-03-2006, 01:02 AM
Sounds like you guys had a killer day and thats cool. I hope to see you guys out ther as im ther almost every weekend

There is no such thing as a secret spot in del valle

fisherdude4eva
04-03-2006, 06:58 AM
dang it its raining again. I hoped it wouldnt rain for a few days but Del Valle is probably really muddy now. When the lake is muddy, most of the time people get skunked from previous reports. Is right now still a good time to go?

badbobfishing33
04-03-2006, 07:20 AM
Sounds like an April fools joke to me!! Good job anyway...how many died "floters" did you ge!!t??WOW 40+ fish!!!crazy

dirty3hirties
04-03-2006, 07:33 AM
fisherdude

It didn't rain at all yesterday (although it was forecasted). The water cleared substantially since last sunday. Clarity was about 2 in. last weekend. Yesterday, the water was the typical greenish tint....not the clearest but definitely better.

Seemed like it rained a ton last nite, plus it's not letting up today. I'd wait for some more reports after today to see how the clarity has changed if any.

badbob,

...how many died "floters" did you ge!!t??

All were revived before release and most weren't even handled since we just cut the leaders.

Johnny
04-03-2006, 08:09 AM
"ata boy",cutting leaders is what I wanted to hear, kind of concern ;D

dirty3hirties
04-03-2006, 12:43 PM
wifesathome:

I hope to see you guys out ther as im ther almost every weekend

We're thinking this weekend again but mother nature sure isn't cooperating. We would be in the 16 ft. Tracker.....got sniffer stars so we should be easy to spot.

Johnny:

cutting leaders is what I wanted to hear, kind of concern

Naturally. We were kinda disappointed with the circle hooks though. I know that they need to swim away and you don't hook set them really. When it worked, it was so easy to remove. But as soon as we saw they swallowed it, we just cut the line and let 'em go. We're thinking of trying larger circle hooks thinking that they may help (the one's we used were pretty small).