PDA

View Full Version : Del Valle 3/26

dirty3hirties
03-26-2006, 09:41 PM
Well, my first day at Del Valle this year kinda went like this.....

As I drove over the hills and got my first glance at the lake....I knew I was in trouble. MUDDY....my heart sunk then and there :-/

We tried both sides of the lake on the southside. The first area was a bit windy but the water was so stained, the wind couldn't have hurt anything. We stayed on that shore for about 2 hours....no bites at all. No one else in the area had fish or bites for that matter. :-[

We decided to move to the other side of the lake (the side with the boat launch). At least the wind was calmer, but the water clarity couldn't have been more than 3-4 in!!!

We left at sundown.....no bites...not even the teeniest of nibbles. I didn't see a single person even get a bite and of course...no stringers of fish.

I was somewhat PO'd to see people blatantly fishing from the swim areas. The rangers didn't even seem to care. Maybe they don't because no one's swimming now, but still. I'd hate to see children later on the summer snagging themselves on hooks, sinkers, line, etc. I don't understand what the big deal is....the signs say "NO FISHING". There's plenty of space elsewhere. >:(

Also, I did see 2 really good sized trout carcasses...had to be around 4 lbrs sitting on the shore. They couldn't have been there for more than 2-3 days I guess. It really makes me upset when I see this. If you're not going to keep the fish.....DON'T KILL THEM AND LEAVE THEM ROTTING ON SHORE! Show some respect and release them ALIVE! If you don't want them.....let someone else who appreciates fishing have the pleasure of catching them. To me, this is just as bad as poaching.....a total and complete waste.

On a better note though....I haven't been shore fishing at Del Valle since I used to go there with my family when I was just a kid...since I was 5-6 years old or so. I have so many fond memories swimming, rafting, fishing, BBQ'ing ,etc.....it kinda all came back to me. We used to go at least 5-6 times each summer and I was walking through the park, it was just as I remembered, but better. The facilities were really well kept and the park was more beautiful than I had remembered. Soooooooo, even though the fishing was probably the worst EVER, it was a great time nonetheless and I will definitely be going back when the water clears. I'm sure that was the only thing preventing this trip from being one of the very best!! :D

fishguts
03-26-2006, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the report, I am supposed to go camping there next weekend but I think I will definately have some options planned if there are days like that on the horizon.

GoneCountry
03-27-2006, 08:49 AM
I remember when there was nothing but the paved road towards what is now the marina. No boat ramp store campgrounds no paybooth. We drove in walked across the cow field......what is now I think the swim area. They hadnt bulldozed the shoreline yet so we found a spot. Used the old school Salmon eggs worms marshmellows. We caught alot that day. Back when 10 was the mainstay....But none were as they put in now.........Still great memories.......Just wish that campground was closer to the water...........

CJC
03-27-2006, 09:00 AM
Also, I did see 2 really good sized trout carcasses...had to be around 4 lbrs sitting on the shore. They couldn't have been there for more than 2-3 days I guess. It really makes me upset when I see this. If you're not going to keep the fish.....DON'T KILL THEM AND LEAVE THEM ROTTING ON SHORE! Show some respect and release them ALIVE! If you don't want them.....let someone else who appreciates fishing have the pleasure of catching them. To me, this is just as bad as poaching.....a total and complete waste.

Not sure about this, but there is always a possibility that the fish died of natural causes. These are planters and when they get introduced to the lake there is a big shock of the changing environment (PH, hardness, temperature, etc.). A few of them will die because of this. Even if the fish is in the lake for a long time and there is a lot of run off into it to cloud it up could kill a few fish. I have seen a 15 lb striper dead on the shore before. Not to mention catfish and carps.

dirty3hirties
03-27-2006, 09:24 AM
Compadrejt,

Yes, I would have given them the benefit of the doubt but the fish couldn't have washed up on shore since the bank was 3-4 ft. above the water line....plus the fish were tucked back underneath a tree about 15 feet beyond the water line. We didn't notice them sitting there until later. Of course, the possibility remains that someone saw them drifting by and netted them, dragged them up and tossed them there. But that is not probable...plus if they wanted to be good samaritans, they wouldn't have tossed them under a tree.