PDA

View Full Version : What Trout Tackle Do You Carry and How

GoneCountry
03-25-2006, 07:49 AM
Im curious about how most of us bring ( Trout Tackle ) when we go to our favorite lake or river. I try to be as light as can be. Backpack to carry it in. I research what i need to bring.most of the time its about 5 jars of powerbait hooks sinkers enough for about 20 setups or more...JUST in case.... I even have the smallest piano holder with my favorite lures in it.....without water backpack weighs next to nothing ....bare minimum but make sure theres enough......couple bottles of water.....Lets here it I wanna know what you bring and how much of a hassle to get it there if any? *Chairs??? pole holders???? Remeber this is for TROUT.
If you are in the boat do you bring the whole nine yards or do you have a smaller scale tackle box........Extra rod reel???? That kinda thing

I know some of us have tried the cart thing. Did that been there I ddnt like it.......

JusTrollin
03-25-2006, 08:40 AM
I'm mostly in a boat but I have 12 different plano trays/boxes (what ever you want to call them).They each are labled with whats inside,spinners,dodgers,grubs,spoons,flashers,you get the point.But I bring it all most of the time its overkill.Also extra line & 4-6 poles depeding on what my kids sneek in.

68merc
03-25-2006, 09:04 AM
I keep all of my tackle in the boat and take it all when i fish on the boat. I have an asortment of rods and only take the ones i want to use.

pawsnazzy
03-25-2006, 06:38 PM
* *Here's my list, *
113 Reels , 60 Rods, 10 Full tackle Boxes & 2 boxes full of tackle that I don't have room for yet.
But when I'm Trout fishing it depends if I fly fishing or not. Fly fishing just a small chest bag and vest. For other I have a "pack" tackle system. It has 4 trays which I can change out to what ever I neeed and the top carries every flavor of power bait plus Salmon eggs and some scent bottles. Side pockets for every thing else that you might need, But you will never use!!! Small folding stool straps to top of pack.
Trolling is a whole different story.
Also, if you are not careful buying fishing stuff could become an obsession! ;)

SalmoClarki
03-25-2006, 06:50 PM

Also, if you are not careful buying fishing stuff could become an obsession! ;)

You're not kidding! Mack fishing is expensive. At $10-50+ a lure losing one of those puts a tear in your eye :'( A lot of those plugs are works of art.

pawsnazzy
03-25-2006, 06:53 PM
I know, The wife starts to cry every time I pull into a tackle shop! ;)

SLOfisher
03-25-2006, 06:59 PM
I take two tackle boxes, one with all my trolling stuff, (lures, dodgers, flashers, etc.) and one with the rest of my trout stuff, (power bait, extra line, bobbers, sinkers, etc.). I usually take four rods - two spinning setups, and two casting setups. And, always, nightcrawlers.

I tried that fly fishing thing once. Like to have threw my arm out, and never could get one of the little things to bite. Don't think they would taste very good anyway, I mean, I tried ants once, and they weren't very tasty.

pawsnazzy
03-25-2006, 07:05 PM
Oh Yummy [smiley=chowtime.gif] [smiley=snacker.gif]

Athlete24
03-25-2006, 07:33 PM
I bring a tackle bag not a box. *I can put five Plaino boxes in it and it has a sholderstrap like a duffle bag. *That is really good for places that you have to walk a ways, like Melones, it is a real hike up those hills by the campgrounds, and look at my name. *I bring two poles along with some rod holders so that when I am using powerbait I can sit in the folding chair that I also bring along. *Plus the food and sodas. 8-)

flyguy
03-25-2006, 07:44 PM
Well, as you know GoneCountry, I fish a bit different from most folks, but Here's my list....

Float Tube
Waders
Fins
Landing Net
Pack rod
Reel and spare spool lined with different types of fly line (important since the line determines how deep the fly goes)
Sweats (goes on under the waders in colder water)
Fly boxes (usually 2)
Hemostats
Clippers
PFD
Hat
Sunglasses
Tippet (usually 2 or 3 small spools)
License
Long sleeve shirt
Pump for float tube
Patch kit

I pack in on my bike, 99% of the time in the area. Everything loaded on the bike, in bike bags (aka panniers).

Non fishing stuff, but nice to have just in case
Cell phone
Camera
Tools for bike (just in case)
cheap pair of binoculars

And you thought fly fishing was a low carrying stuff endeavor. Hah! My legs are usually toast by the time I get home. ;)

Johnny
03-25-2006, 11:06 PM
I agree with A24, I personally have a XL vest (Rio Bravo) tons of pockets with zippers, my buddy has tackle bag(over the sholder) he picked it up at Cabellas, I carry more than I need but you never know
tackle box with 6 slots it measures 8"x4" x 1.2" deep (these are given to kids at Fishing in the City events, works great) weights, hooks, lures
are kept in the box.. 3-4 jars of eggs/powerbait, jar of worms, stringer,
poles & holders plus 3-5 painted wine corks for bobbers, plastic bags, pocket knife, clippers, extra line for leaders . the vest is the way to go & you can put it over a jacket when its cold. Forgot my net, two piece breakdown 5 ft.. I carrry to much.. ;D

fishguts
03-26-2006, 06:56 AM
Pretty much fish from a boat all the time now. Have one tackle bag that holds my trout/salmon/kokanee trolling stuff and one box for bait stuff and miscellaneous.

fishon_chris
03-26-2006, 07:58 AM
I to have every thing in the boat.My tackle box and all my poles and downriggers to.I never bring to little always to much

FISHON CHRIS ;) ;)

Greybeard
03-26-2006, 09:09 AM
I put my fly gear in a vest and my spinning gear in a shoulder bag or bacpack with plano boxes, etc. Rain gear or large garbage bag. Hand towel. A copy of the regs with the latest supplementals as I fish some waters (Klamath, Upper Sac, etc) where I can't ever remember when the C & R begins or artificial only...
Good journey to all of you Sniffers and take a kid or two fishin' !!!
GB

GoneCountry
03-26-2006, 09:17 AM
Great responses. * I think when you have the boat you tend to bring it because your not carrying it.....But when your banking or kayaking or tubing....You have to weigh *your options. Ya know I didnt bring different trolling gear along till this year. Just one setup........Now I bring the assortment...........If I take the boat.. I just wanted to hear what fellow sniffers bring. Maybe some cool *idea I didnt think of when I go

The_Big_Sinus
03-26-2006, 10:45 AM
I have 1/2 a spare bedroom full of fishng gear, most of it geared to trout. Physically impossible not to have different setups for different tasks. It never ALL goes anywhere...

It just depends. I've been known to load up a massive duffel that wieghs in at 95# on certain trips to Alaska. If you don't know what you are getting into, you have to prepare for everything. That was at the height of madness, tho'...

anglinfool
03-26-2006, 12:15 PM
If I'm on a boat on a lake I take a small tackle box that has power bait, hooks, some line, a couple of old lures, different types of sinkers, etc. and a small backpack with newer lures (two medium plano boxes), a knife, pliers, etc. I take two spinning outfits, one light with medium power and a feather light outfit for dunking power bait.

If I'm fishing small streams in the Sierra's its usually the backpack adapted for the particular stream or river. Small spoons, spinners, power bait, hooks, sinkers...all generally light to feather light tackle. Usually the same two rod/reel outfits as above.

When fishing for steelhead in the American or ther Nor Cal rivers I use plano boxes for all sorts of steelhead hook-ups, drifting roe, lures, pulling plugs, plunking bait, etc. Waders and wading boots and other winter wear. I use an 8'6" baitcaster with a Pfleuger baitcaster reel with 8-10lb. test.

fish4fun
03-26-2006, 01:44 PM
I have a room at home where I keep all my rods, reels, tackle, etc. Most of the tackle is in Plano boxes and sorted by type of lure and kind of fish. For example by bass, trout, kokanee, salmon, etc.

I have a couple of soft packs that hold the Plano boxes. When I'm going for trout I'll load the stuff I need in there. Do the same thing when going for kokanee or salmon.
My boat has plenty of storage space and I'll put the rods I'm going to use in the rod locker and put my loaded Planos into the tackle holds. Before each trip, I'll sort of decide what tackle and rods to take, organize the stuff in my fishing room, rig rods and then load the boat. I never try to take it all, even when I'm going fishing for a single species like trout. Instead I try to think about the lake(s) I'm going to fish and be selective. Often I'll make up some lures like spinners, spoons, hoochies that I want to experiment with. I definitely have more stuff than I can really use, but somehow I can never get rid of it. I even have one rod that goes back 50 years to when I was a kid.. Larry

gopedxr
03-26-2006, 04:29 PM
Haha this a thread were some of have allways brought to much tackle to the lake... Myself I bring a good selection of rods to use usually some spinning out-fits and once bait caster.

I bring my big tackel box that holds 3 plano boxes and a top chamber. I also bring another liitle one for the small stuff I need on the water. Thats about it for us in our 12fter!@

GoneCountry
03-26-2006, 04:35 PM
Thats what I do I have a HUGE utility box filled with fishing gear. I think about where I am going what I need and take inventory of what was left from the last trip.......I always bring more than one pole. I dont have a 2 pole stamp. I bring it in case theres a problem. When I go for more than a couple of days. I OVERKILL. Only cause I could stop anywhere and fish for whatever I want. So you better bring it.

johnbfishin
03-26-2006, 05:45 PM
If I'm hiking into a river I'll use a backpack, not to be confused with a day pack ;) this allows for extra stuff like clothes, food & water with max comfort. Once on the river I'll ditch the backpack and use a vest. I keep the vest geared up for stream fishing, mostly just hooks, small sinkers, a few bobers, some flies and some lures. A box or two of crawlers and I'm good to go.
I'll always take an extra pole just in case. A buddy used to give me a bad time for carrying an extra pole till on one trip the first hole he hit he snagged and snapped the end of his pole off....he just looked at me and smiled wondering where I had stashed that extra pole. ;D

For short trips that are more tame than a canyon hike I'll use a day pack with plano boxes filled with gear. I can put the pole holders in my day pack along with some munchies and water and I'm good to go.