PDA

View Full Version : Limits were harder to get at Del Valle 3/19

ken_fishnfool
03-20-2006, 12:46 PM
A friend wanted to catch some trout and to see how the rental boats were now...so we went yesterday. We wasted the morning checking the water towards the dam (it's clearer than in the Narrows, but not much action for us) and we ended up "somewhere in the south end". There was a mini-regatta of kickboats and float-tubes that must have heard something or seen something to make them believe there were trout out there. ;)
There were some, they seemed to be doing alright with 2 or 3 on each stringer, so we tried drifting for a while. The wind came up so we anchored here and there for an hour at a time, and managed to limit out by 4:00 PM.
We didn't get any real big ones like the previous couple of weeks but 3 of them were between 2.5 and 3.5 pounds, along with some fatty 12-14 inchers. My friend did have a big one do the SDR thing on us, it looked to be around 4.5-5 pounds, so there are a few still around.
We didn't find any concentation of fish, just picked up one here and there.
The water was pretty muddy from the recent rains and that made for a long wait in between bites. About 9 to 12 inches visability.
One good thing is the lake is full, finally! The fishing should get better as the water clears.

The new concession is slower and a little more expensive than before. $75 for the whole day for the same regular boats they had there before.
They are still setting up the store so don't depend on bait, etc. for a little while longer (they did have crave baits and nightcrawlers).

Another good day out on the lake with some sun but not much in the way of warmth, except the warmth of good talk and fun fishing with a friend. :)

gopedxr
03-20-2006, 03:02 PM
Glad to hear you were out there tryen! What did you use out there Ken? The south end will usually have trout.

I will be out there in about 2 weeks, lets hope they are still biting! ;D

Vole
03-20-2006, 07:41 PM
Ken, thanks for the report. I'll be out there Saturday with my raft if the weather holds up. What do you suggest for trout and bass? What color? Hope to see you out there.

Are they still using the same boats or did the new company bring in some new ones?

Zepplock
03-20-2006, 08:55 PM
I'll be there this Saturday then )))

ken_fishnfool
03-21-2006, 09:38 AM
Yes they are the same boats (just a little more expensive). :P

The trout hit on a yellow or white egg with chartruese powerbait.
One came in on a nightcrawler.

Bass were real slow and deep and had lockjaw (from shivering). :'(