PDA

View Full Version : Rancho Mistako derby...3/18

Hellsangler
03-18-2006, 04:57 PM
I got a late start to clear skies but as I approached the lake the fog and clouds prevailed. I was on the water by 7:30 am. I talked to many people on the shore who had not seen a fish caught. A few in boats had been caught. I jumped in the pontoon and dropped a lemon/lime egg on top of a pearl white grub and started to work the shoreline. Nothing for atleast 1/2 an hour. I spotted a rise and headed toward the trout. I passed over the trout and nothing. A moment later a nice hit...set the hook...missed...slammed the grub and I missed again. Twenty yards and another hit ...set the hook ...landed a 3 lber. I set up a second pole and cast it out with one of my favorite combos...slammed again...another trout. I abandoned the grub and used only one rod. Ten yards and slammed again...twenty yards and slammed again...this continued from 8:30 am to 11:30...twenty trout around 3 lbs give or take...it was crazy and so cool. I caught two more from 11:30 to 12:30 as the bite slowed to almost nothing. I ended up keeping 4 and releasing 18 nice cutbows. None of the trout were huge but since I entered the derby and went to weigh the fish. Surprized when my 3.66lb cutbow was the largest caught by 3:05 pm. I know it wont last but cool anyway. It was killer to pay $5 to enter the park and $3 to enter the derby so I could catch Amador cutbows. There were only two other boats that I was aware of that were catching alot of trout...most had not but I stayed where I was and did not venture far with the number of fish working this shoreline. I am going to try to head back to Rancho Mistako tomorrow as long as a divorce is not threatened. Too many fish for a good price and very few fisherman competing for the fish. Hope to hear other good reports...tight lines.

Hells

freon
03-18-2006, 05:40 PM
Great report Hells and good choice as amador was way off, very dismal day to say the least and how often do you hear me say that, guess they planted amadors trout at rancho mistako. Glad to hear that you got to enter one and finally got into some decent fish there.
Freon

Hellsangler
03-18-2006, 07:15 PM
Sorry to hear about Amador...very unusual this time of year. The cutbows were where we usually dont find the trout for the derby. There were half the fisherman we would usually see for the derby. Are you stuck at home or are you free to fish? Very worth your time.

Hells

Hellsangler
03-18-2006, 07:15 PM
Hey!!!!!!!!!!!! I am a rookie!!!!!!

Hells

freon
03-18-2006, 07:52 PM
Rookie my rear end, not by Mistako standards and you and I have fished that lake a lot of times, but by all other fishing standards, j/k ;)

hunkfisher
03-18-2006, 10:23 PM
Nice Hells i couldnt make it today, dang work oh well gotta do it to fish, ill be there tomorrow though for sure!!! What were you using and if you dont mind me asking where were you fishing???

Hellsangler
03-18-2006, 10:34 PM
I will be out tomorrow in my Avalanche with a green bucks bag ...The Bronco. I will talk with you and give you some pointers.

Hells