PDA

View Full Version : Planner boards

fishinwithg
03-16-2006, 12:45 PM
Looking for input,

I want to try planner boards this year, and I'm looking for info on which
one to buy. The ones that stay attached to your line, do they cause alot
of drag when reeling in a fish or cause you to loose a fish? Are the ones that are seperate from your line better? I fish alot of clear water lakes
and I'm looking to get a edge up on the shy lunkers.

pawsnazzy
03-16-2006, 01:07 PM
Sep's has some that I bought at the ISE show. They will carry you out and when a fish hits it, the board comes loose and slides down your line to the fish so you don't have the drag. There small. And you don't have to use the mast setup like the walleye fisherman.
I've seen fish at Eagle Lake cruzin the surface, and they swim away as you come near, Right to where your side planers are. ;)

Chapa
03-16-2006, 01:47 PM
I use the Seps and they work pretty good.

I have never tried big planer boards

Chapa

sunracer1957
03-16-2006, 02:19 PM
Fishinwithg

In line planners are ok after using them for a while you'll get the hang of it.. if your going to get serious about planers then goto the big boards, you can set them up with a mast or they also make planner reels that can mount to the gunnals of the boat..

Just a couple of tips when using planners, be sure to pick up your boat speed when you get a fish hit, it helps to take up the slack in the line,, another thing that you might consider is using braid instead of mono if your going to do long set backs this helps with hook sets..

If ya need more detailed info on Planners send me a PM and I'll tell ya what I can ....SR

krzyfshrmn
03-16-2006, 06:17 PM
If you're gonna use the in-line planers, the "Yellow Birds" are a pretty good choice. They're bigger then the Seps, and allow you to pull bigger lures. You're pretty much limited to very small spoons or spinners. You can almost pull big Flatfish with the yellow birds. Whenever you use the inlines though, make sure you use a barrel swivel about 5 feet above your lure, with a larger size bead ABOVE the swivel. When the board releases and slides down your line, it will stop once it hits the bead/swivel. Much better then sliding all the way down to your fish, and knocking it off the hook ;) ;)

metalmouth
03-16-2006, 07:54 PM
If ya need more detailed info on Planners send me a PM and I'll tell ya what I can ....SR

Sun is the Man! He helped me set up my Big John's, Mast with a double reel is the only way to go. Otherwise, you are limited to small lures. May not be worth the effort. In-line is like catching a fish with a beer can on the line. Click here for a peek: Big Johns (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0012295014890a&navCount=14&podId=00122 95&parentId=cat600397&navAction=push&cmCat=MainCat cat20166&catalogCode=IG&rid=&parentType=index&inde xId=cat600397&hasJS=true)
MM

krzyfshrmn
03-16-2006, 09:14 PM
The mast set up is definetly the way to go, I used to fish with the bigger boards and line releases all the time. The only problem in California is trying to find an area big enough (or lack of boat traffic) to run a planer board out 200 feet on each side of the boat.

GW_Extreme
03-16-2006, 10:44 PM
Seps side planner is great, once we figured out how to use it. It is really not that heavy and is not that noticable once a decent size fish is on.