PDA

View Full Version : AC Plugs

JoeTech
03-01-2006, 11:29 AM
I've been reading lots about these plugs that catches big fish. I'm thinking of getting a couple of AC Plugs but not sure on size/style/color. I normally fish lakes around the Fresno area. All the lakes I fish have potential for some big brown trout, but only two of the lakes have kokes. Any suggestions?

TahoeJeff
03-01-2006, 01:35 PM
This kit is a little pricey, but it's a nice selection:

http://www.acplugs.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=APS&Product_Co de=ACP13&Category_Code=LK

JoeTech
03-02-2006, 08:41 AM
Thanks Jeff, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to pay that much right now...I kind of wanted to buy one or two to try them out before I go and spend a lot. If you were to get only two what ones would you get? Thanks

somebody
03-02-2006, 09:28 AM
refering to a c plugs i think i would go w/rainbow and shad. i received a reply from joe paino with ac optmum plugs this morning he states the plugs should be good to 100 feet if you apply clear coat in between uses. they are made from a malaysian hardwood named jilisong. this is in reference to one i had breaking at 200 feet at tahoe.

TahoeJeff
03-02-2006, 09:59 AM
JoeTech,
If you're fishing the lakes with Kokes, go with the 7" or 9" Kokanee. I assume the other lakes have rainbows which the browns you are targeting would eat. In that case, I would go with the "skinny", "real trout" or "hatchery trout" in whatever size you feel is appropriate. BTW I couldn't decide what to buy, so I just bit the bullet, and paid for the Trophy Brown and Trophy Raindow kit.

TahoeJeff
03-02-2006, 01:05 PM
Why are you so down on AC plugs? Just 'cause they don't look pretty to us doesn't mean big fish wont bite 'em! It's hard to argue with results like this:

Brown Trout:
http://www.acplugs.com/browns.htm

Macinaw:
http://www.acplugs.com/lakers.htm

Rainbow Trout:
http://www.acplugs.com/rainbows.htm

Striped Bass:
http://www.acplugs.com/stripers.htm

I've only fished with them 2 times, and have caught big fish both times!

Snowtrout
03-02-2006, 01:09 PM
Since we fish about the same lakes (fresno area) a light rainbow trout or silver black would be the best colors. Gold black would be also good for lakes with suckers or sculpin as the forage.

Now just bust out the cash ;D

drstressor
03-02-2006, 01:22 PM
Watch out guys. If this turns into a plug war the thread will have to be locked.

SierraSkier
03-02-2006, 03:12 PM
AC's are brutally expensive, but its hard to argue with success. Allen Coles's lure designs are novel, maybe thats enough, they definitely swim pretty. There is no real alternative in the same sizes. Other than pure stick baits and swimbaits, there arent any other lures that big. AC's swim better than stick baits. Small lures catch small fish. Size matters, always has, always will. I wish we could get a quality mass produced AC for $15, I would be all over them.

Weez
03-02-2006, 04:35 PM
For rainbows and browns start with the AC Skinny in 4 to 6 inch sizes. They are expensive, so unless you can afford to lose a lot on the bottom, I'd advise you to make sure you've had a lot of practice 'structure trolling' with the five to ten dollar lures first. You will always lose lures, that's the nature of hunting big fish, but if you're a novice you'll lose a lot more until you learn trolling depth of different plugs, depth differences due to line diameter and length of line out, how to judge when to zig and and out on rocky points and stump-covered flats, how to run leadcore, downriggers, etc....

I still get a tear in my eye when I lose a favorite AC, but I learned how to troll with cheaper lures, so I don't break off as often now that I'm using the pricey ones. Okay, who's going to say it? It's true I don't pay for mine, but it still hurts to lose one, since even though I can get one the same size and color, they really are handmade and each one is a little different. They all catch fish, but sometimes you get one that's just "hot" and catches more/bigger fish. So, you start running that one all the time due to your high rate of success, and what-do-you-know, the odds of losing it increases with the hours it spends trolling in perilous situations. My first AC Plug was given to me by John S. (Live4Trout), and it caught me a 15 pound mack on Caples, a bunch of smaller fish, then my biggest mack ever, a 25 pounder on Tahoe. THEN, a few weeks later, another monster fish stole it! What a heartbreak.

kingsmules
03-02-2006, 06:18 PM
I think Im the poster boy when it comes to losing AC plugs! I seem to get more brutal strikes on AC lures than with rapalas.
Ive left AC dental work in Donner, Stampede and Pyramid. What the hell its only money you can always make more. Weez
I need a lesson.

Reel_Lost
03-02-2006, 07:26 PM
what pound test/type do you troll these AC plugs with for browns and macks.

SierraSkier
03-02-2006, 07:55 PM
This is going to sound crazy..6-8lb.

mtalley
03-02-2006, 08:11 PM
Weez,
How's it going? I fish the same areas as Joe & Byron. I feel that the best chance we have for good size fish are Browns at the 7,000 - 7,500 foot elevation lakes. I am sure that there are also some good sized Bows in there but I never see or hear of them being caught. One lake I fish has a small (individual fish) size Koke population and the other has just Bows (Byron may be able to help w/ this) for the larger trout to feed on. Do you think skinnies are the ticket in Rainbow and black/silver? And what length? Thanks.

JoeTech
03-03-2006, 07:45 AM
So far from what Ive read it seems I'm leaning to the Skinny, if i decided to fork out the money. But whats the many difference from the Skinny, Real Trout, Hatchery Trout, and the koke plug?

metalmouth
03-03-2006, 07:54 AM
The skinnies have my vote. Weez give us the scoop.
MM 8) ;D 8)

Weez
03-03-2006, 07:58 AM
Marty- Skinny comes in 4.5 to 8 inch size, having a range is good, because the actual kokanee and rainbows you're imitating will be different sizes. Kokanee can be from from fingerling to whatever size kokes get in your lakes, while rainbows in a lot of lakes start at 8 to 1o inches, the size they are when planted. Some lakes have wild 'bows, some have plants of fingerlings or 'subcatchables' (5 to 8 inches), but in a lot of lakes, rainbow pattern plugs work even in smaller sizes than the actual rainbows there. A great pattern for smaller rainbow-trout AC's is the 'striped rainbow', which will have parr-marks like a baby rainbow. AC actually has several rainbow patterns- rainbow, striped rainbow, dark rainbow and red-stripe rainbow. Each has it's own look and appeal to fish. The 7 inch AC Kokanee would be good too, and has a little different profile and action from the Skinny.

Joe Tech- go to the website, acplugs.com - you will find photos on there of all the different models. There is also an articles section with an article by me you haven't seen on the fishsniffer- check it out!

mtalley
03-03-2006, 08:11 AM
Thanks Weez, AC should send you some more free ones for the sales that are going to result from your posts. One of the lakes we fish does have the wild bows and is a put and grow lake on top of that.

JoeTech
03-03-2006, 09:26 AM
Thanks Mark your post are always very informative.

hetchy
03-05-2006, 04:05 PM
Check out ebay. AC always has a kit or more on there and some single lures. I've saved about 20% on my collection this way. I'm set for awhile, I think I have enough that Mark will make me use my own now at Tahoe. I've got 3 of them painted by Allan to resemble Tui Chubs which I hope to try out at Tahoe towards the end of March weather permitting. Bob

JasonB
03-06-2006, 07:45 PM
If some one was interested .
I have a Brown trout kit for sale . Brand new .
I will part with it for $100 plus shipping .

troutfan
03-06-2006, 07:50 PM
If some one was interested .
I have a Brown trout kit for sale . Brand new .
I will part with it for $100 plus shipping .
You should try the classifieds board. ;)

krzyfshrmn
03-06-2006, 09:37 PM
C'mon Jason, get with the program [smiley=foottap.gif]

SierraSkier
03-06-2006, 09:55 PM
I will make sure it never happens again by buying the lures...just trying to do my part to keep order here.

JasonB
03-07-2006, 07:01 AM
Sorry everyone for posting in the wrong forum .
I will not do it again .

Sincerly Jason

troutfan
03-07-2006, 07:05 AM
Sorry everyone for posting in the wrong forum .
I will not do it again .

Sincerly Jason
It's not a big deal...relax! I almost jumped on the set but I guess I was too slow. :-/