PDA

View Full Version : Sand-dabs in Bodega

G-whiz
07-21-2008, 10:03 PM
*I was watching Dan Hernandez (he's quite "festive", I'd say) show on Ling cod fishin out by the Faralons. On the way they were catching Sand-dabs. They had a 6 oz ball on the bottom with a string of small hooks. Bringing them up with a Sand-dab on each hook. I couldn't see what they were using for bait. It may have even been a Sabiki rig. Anyone know what the deal is with those Ling cod Potato Chips? Looked like they were kicking a$$. I was thinking sand in 100 ft. off of Carmet/Salmon Creek... Any idea's out there fellas?
*Thanks in advance, * Whiz

JanZ
07-21-2008, 10:37 PM
Make up a with with a half dozen #2 circle hooks or use a Sabuki rig, bait with little 1" long strips of squid.

Easy to catch, clean and great to eat.

Remove scales with a strong stream of water clip fins, cut off head and gut pocket rinse and sauté in olive oil and garlic.

You can also cook them in the toaster...Just like fishy pop tarts. ;)

fishenrick
07-21-2008, 11:26 PM
I have never had any luck in a 100 feet of water,not saying you won't, but we always get them in 160 to 200 feet of water,salmon creek ,carmet,russian river area, sabika rig tipped with 1 inch squid strips with a sinker on the bottom and top of the sabika rig so it can lay on the bottom,great bait and like Janz said good eats too.
Caught my first ling of the year on a frozen one from last year.

Farrier_Frank
07-22-2008, 06:02 AM
You can also cook them in the toaster...Just like fishy pop tarts. ;)

[smiley=rotfl2.gif] You're kidding, right?? [smiley=homersimpson.gif]

surge
07-22-2008, 10:27 AM
Maybe its true, some people do eat raw fish. :o

JanZ
07-22-2008, 03:44 PM
Boy, could I run with this one. ;D

No, I was just joking about the toaster, they don't take long to cook as they are pretty thin so a skillet works well on them.

G-whiz
07-22-2008, 06:36 PM
I heard a little story that Richard Geer likes to catch 'em too. He calls 'em "sea gerbils". I don't think he uses them for bait or eating though.
(I know... I'm sick)
Whiz