PDA

View Full Version : Amador 2/12

Big Ken
02-12-2006, 06:24 PM
Well finally got to the point in the home remodel where I could break away for a day of fishing @ Amador. Was in the water by 6:45. Trolled a pearl white power grub & a orange Seps grub. Didn't land anything until 9:30. I lost 1 @ the boat. That 1 I was pulling in by hand because of a reel malfuction(or maybe the loose nut operating it),couldn't get the net in time & lost him. I no more get my hands free from that mess & FISH ON on the other pole. Landed it it was a nice 4#er. Then I had something else wild happen. I had the same fish hit both of my grubs. When I reeled it in it had the orange grub in 1 side of its mouth & the Brown grub I was using it it's lower lip. CRAZY.. :o..I ended up boating 9 & keeping 4. It was a nice day for me @ Amador.
I think I saw dirty3hirties there. I saw a Tracker with a BBQ going. I did speak to him breifly. If that was you I was the one giving you a bad time about putting them in the boat ;D. Hope to get back out there soon.

fishnphool

partner
02-12-2006, 06:34 PM
Thats why I love amador....it can get real crazy! That one trout must have been real hungry! Thanks for the report!!

partner

Troutcoach
02-12-2006, 06:42 PM
A double hook-up on the same fish! :o Sounds like you had a blast out there today. Mayhem at Amador!

freon
02-12-2006, 06:49 PM
now thats the way to slam there FP, glad you finally really layed into them, hope to see some pics soon.
Freon

n2trout
02-12-2006, 08:27 PM
Woohoo...that is a slamerific stroke of lady luck. Glad to hear you had a good day of fishing. I am remodeling as well and its cutting into my fishing time. :(

Hopefully I get out there Friday and see some fellow sniffers. I am flying my stars now ! Now if I can just find the radio. ;)

n2trout

dirty3hirties
02-13-2006, 08:06 AM
fishnphool

Yup...that would be me....the dudes on with BBQ, not the guys with the fish in the boat *ahem* *;)

I had one of the most frustrating days EVER at Amador....I don't know what it was but it seemed like every fish shook the hook. *Plus they were biting extremely soft (at least my rods anyways). * Troutboy had no problems at all....all his fish took the grubs and ran. *There were 3 fish that were totally "on", really violent strikes but the moment I would start reeling on 'em.....they were gone. *By the 3rd one, I even set the hook harder thinking "this guy isn't getting away from me....that was a hard strike....it's in his throat..." then poof....gone. *I've never had a day like that before. *Plus on the softer bites, the "feeding" technique didn't work for me today. *So that made me even more frustrated.

I've read a lot of threads where people encounter this...lotta LDR's and SDR's but it's never really happened to me. *Just me, I missed 10-11 fish. *That's an all time high for me....Guess I was due. *hahaha. *I hope this doesn't keep up! *But it was still a great day......gonna hit the lake again on Sat. *

Oh Troutboy will have his stars by then....I was looking for 'em on a lot of the boats...didn't notice any.

Dennis
02-13-2006, 09:10 AM
Don't know if this will help, but sharpen the hooks a little. Even the sharpest hooks need a little touch up. At least it's worth a few seconds if you get them in the boat. Hope you have better luck next time.

dirty3hirties
02-13-2006, 09:23 AM
Yeah...I was 2nd guessing myself about everything....from the hooks, to the leaders, to the grubs and even the amount of line i let out. I was using Gamakatsu light wires..brand new! So I didn't think that was it. My 2nd thought was that I wasn't using Flourocarbon line (normal mono so there's more stretch). I was also letting out way more line than normal which would have added more slack/drag. But I think it was the way I set up the grub. I put a gulp egg on the hook (I usually thread it on the line) but then you have to take the grub off each time (kinda lazy to do that all the time ;) ) the egg would of course cover up the hook more. It had a great affect on the way the grub would swim, causing the tail to really flutter and the grub to spin. I'm thinking htat because less of the hook was exposed, that I didn't get a good set, plus the spinning grub could have made it a harder target to hit (but they did hit my rods more frequently) and then the increased line out would cause more slack. So I guess it could have been a combination of everything :-/ :'(

OF COURSE, I could be totally overthinking this and it could just have been REALLY BAD LUCK! ;D

flytier
02-13-2006, 11:35 AM
Hi guys,

OK - I give up. I wanna try these "grubs" as they seem to work much better in this murky water at Amador.

Wondering if some kind person would tell me how they are fishing these grubs? I know that you are trolling them slowly - but do you need to ad weight? Downrigger?

What depth have they been hitting these at? Any hints appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Imbigdave
02-13-2006, 12:47 PM
FT just go back and read the Amador posts there are pics of the grubs and how to rigem. I worked great for me.

Welcome to the boards

Big Ken
02-13-2006, 03:55 PM
I was topling & according to my GPS traveling 1.2 MPH land speed when I landed mine. I got all mine as I was going by the point of the Rock Creek arm.
Sorry Freon I forgot the camera AGAIN. I was really bummed too. There were some good photo ops with the eagle..1 was when he was chasing a seagull..