PDA

View Full Version : Oakland MLK Jr Shoreline's boat ramp + fishing

bluestar
07-18-2008, 09:40 AM
I drove thru Oakland Airport's Route 61 just now because HWY 880 is all backed-up (again). North of Hagenburger Road I see a boat ramp and some fishing platforms along the MLK Jr shoreline. Has anyone ever launched a boat there? Does it cost $ and how is the channel?

Also, those fishing platforms seem nice and comfortable, perfect for family outing. The question is, what kind of fish is in that water? I'd imagine butt and stripers are out of the question in such outlaying (from bay) spot, but are there at least some fish like a 1' jacksmelt with big enough mouth to swallow a small hook?

dimpala95
07-18-2008, 12:33 PM
Stripers, bat rays and smaller bait fish frequent that body of water. The launch is free but that area unless you're in the channel is quit shallow, like less that 2'. It's strictly a high tide boating area but even then you have to be careful.

duck0311
07-20-2008, 09:04 PM
Yeah Very careful boating in that water. On a low tide the channel is about as wide as a boat. I drive by there 4-5 times a day and see some people fishing at the piers maybe once a week. No idea if they catch anything. I have been told to fish the end of the cove like the last pier but the shoreline and throw swimbaits for stripers only at high tide though. I see alot of jetskiers on the weekends sometimes and only seen one ski boat hauling a#$ up and down the whole thing my guess is he didn't know just how shallow the water was cuz he couldn't have been in more than 3 ft of water. I have fished though the Bay Farm island bridge little fishing dock it is by the big flag when you come over the bridge out of alameda. Caught a couple rays and smelt outa there. Seen a few stripers caught on the lure down the path as well.