PDA

View Full Version : Berkeley 7/17/08

jdecker
07-17-2008, 06:43 PM
Launched at 5:45 with TwoPatch, 2 buds, and my son today. When we got bait, it sucked! Most of it died by noon and the ones we used were out of energy. Fished the flats, Alameda Rock Wall, Mel's Reef, and Angel Island for only one butt. Everyone around us nailed the stripers at Mel's, guess it was not in the cards. It was great fishing even without a great score.

GopedXr
07-17-2008, 07:22 PM
What were ya guys doing wrong? How many drifts per place? Fishing the out going tide or incoming?

jdecker
07-17-2008, 08:13 PM
Well I don't think we did anything wrong. We lined up just like everyone and used the same technique and bait, it just did not happen for us. Yes is was frustrating :-/ We drifted several times at each place.

fishenrick
07-17-2008, 10:21 PM
Been there done that several times,it hurts seeing other people catching and you watching,hopefully next time you will be on the other end a catching

gmdcdvm
07-17-2008, 11:01 PM
Who knows, but having a nice lively bait I think can be the difference between a good day and a bad day. Seems like that may have been the only difference between you and the others.
Where the baits beat up? Red spots? Missing scales? Red noses? Could there have been a problem with your bait tank or circulation? Just thinking of what could have gone wrong...
G

jdecker
07-18-2008, 07:09 AM
I have a good bait tank, it is a 13 gallon Kodiak, so that was not the problem. Bait was key and I got screwed. "Grouchy" at the bait holders scooped the top, I found this out after we got our bait. They had red noses, scales missing, and were did not have that greenish silver glow. With that said, there were so many stripers there you would think we would have picked up at least one. It was just one of those days, guess that is why they call it fishing :)

Norcal
07-18-2008, 07:55 AM
That guy at the bait slip is never grouchy! :D

triggerfish
07-18-2008, 08:46 AM
Jon,once again.Thanks,I had a good time.We will getum next time. The bait was very soft,and beat-up from the start.the water temp didn't help things eather,65 deg.I hope this post helps. I must say it was very nice not having to deal with those sailboats.There was only a few out all day.

jdecker
07-18-2008, 08:49 AM
Don't forget the one we saw at the flats turned upside down! It was still fun and there will be better days in the future.

ZACK
07-18-2008, 09:38 AM
You bait may not have been the best but I have NEVER had my bait die by noon with a good bait well. What size pump are you using?
Your design must have a flaw or two that needs correcting.
ZACK!

jdecker
07-18-2008, 12:01 PM
Not sure the size of the pump, but I think the live well is fine. I have never seen the bait as poor as it was that day, not in 20 years and 100's of trips. Typically I will moor at Berkeley and have my live well run, the bait will last a couple of days no problem.