PDA

View Full Version : Shakespear Tiger Rod and Braid

freespool
07-17-2008, 09:55 AM
I have a Tiger Rod with the Stainless Steel guides and I was wondering if I can use braided line without causing any damage to the guides. I'll be doing some jig fishing and live bait fishing for Rockfish.

Rod - BWC2202
30# Pro Power Braid

redmt
07-17-2008, 10:59 AM
I run pretty much the same setup and haven't had any signs of wear,,,,,yet.

żżż
07-17-2008, 11:14 AM
Me too. No problems. Just make sure you rinse off the braid when you're done. Debris buildup in the braid is what destroys your line guides - not the line material.

Phinger28
07-17-2008, 01:16 PM
Eventually the braid will wear a groove in the stainless, particularly the top eyes. How fast it will wear through depends on how much you use it, and type of braid. Power Pro seems a bit more abrasive than other braids.

Feesh-On
07-17-2008, 02:11 PM
I was told by a guy from Stren that most braided lines have a wax coating to them, so your more likely to get wear from mono than most braided lines.

He said the culprit was corrosion causing little grooves in the eyes.. once your line finds it, thats all she wrote for that eye eventually. One of the reasons I rinse my rods top to bottom while I'm rinsing reels after fishing.

BIG_ONE
07-17-2008, 02:35 PM
you'll do just fine, i use braid on my tiger all the time, its not even stainless steel, and i use it A LOT, still running fine and no marks ;) and yes braid do have coated wax on them, if you get a glove or anything to hold tight onto the line while your spooling up your reel, you'll see the wax hang onto your glove or which ever your using.

freespool
07-18-2008, 08:46 AM
Thank you all for the replies, now I can fish easy knowing I won't ruin my guides.