PDA

View Full Version : trout fishing bay area

fisherdude4eva
12-22-2005, 02:23 PM
i live in san jose and i want to go trout fishing. I have a small one motor boat. WHere should I go trollling? also what r the basics to trolling. tackle, supplies, lures, depth etc? thanks

Mickey_Thomas
12-22-2005, 03:01 PM
Welcome to the boards, for the basic trolling, you will need to know how slow you are moving in the boat first. If it's less than 2.0 mph you'll need some Vances Dodgers in 4.0 size, some 4-6 lb leader material, some hooks and maybe a few banana weights to get you deeper. A worm threader to thread on a night crawler. That will get you started. Now as to where to go in San Jose? you got me there. Since you're new to the boards, I suggest you start on page one of the trout pages and go back as far as you can, lots of the reports will talk about the tackle being used for the fish that are being caught.

fishinfreak
12-23-2005, 11:43 AM
Fisherdude, I would try Lexington Reservoir. I think you can still boat out there ??? But beware of any fish caught in the valley!! Recent reports show a lot of Mercury in them. Catch and Release just to be safe. Good Luck ;D

fisherdude4eva
12-23-2005, 07:06 PM
another question.

how do u get to a certain depth when trolling? is there a downrigger needed, or lead-core line?what are some setups. andy visual references will help immensley. THank you very much.

fisherdude4eva
12-24-2005, 08:22 AM
how are lake del valle, chabot, or quarry lakes doing? if the fishing there is good, i mite just go shorefishing.

wetdog
12-24-2005, 08:31 AM
This time of year fish should be near the surface ,there's a number of ways to adjust to the depth you want, first you need to find the fish ,and then adjust accordingly...follow Mic's line you can't go wrong p/s Del Valle can be very rewarding good luck *;)

The_Big_Sinus
12-24-2005, 09:01 AM
Del Valle is good right now... In another month the fishing really starts to pick up.

Big_Country
12-24-2005, 03:57 PM
I'll echo the comments about Del Valle Easy to launch a boat, good place to get some trolling practice in, and the trout aren't deep.

johnbfishin
12-24-2005, 07:26 PM
Do a search for "norcalfishing" or the "East bay regional parks" to get info on the lakes available in the Bay Area.
Del Valle is probably the most interesting to fish due to variety of fish they have and a chance at a monster striper, I think the lake record is around 40#'s :o
There is some good fishing closer to you though, specially if you don't mind bass fishing. It sounds like Shadow Cliffs in Pleasanton may fit your needs...electric motors only though. If you are going to fish the EBRP lakes buy a season parking pass for around $35.00, you can do this at any park at the kiosk and it'll save you $$ in the long run.

fisherdude4eva
12-24-2005, 09:40 PM
not deep meaning on the surface or 10 feet deep? also how do i get a lure or worm to a desired depth without a downrigger or lead core line or anything? and are spinners like roostertails idela for trolling? Kastmasters? lastly, do i need dodgers? new to trolling. want to try it out

johnbfishin
12-24-2005, 09:47 PM
Okay I got ya. First you need a depth finder on your boat, then you troll with your lure till you bump bottom, or not.

fisherdude4eva
12-25-2005, 08:28 AM
JohnBfishin,

Heres my problem though. Actually I have a few. How do I even get the lure to the bottom. If the boat is moving, wouldn't the lure stay on the surface? I have a depthfinder so how do I use it? Also what is the desired depth to troll in? and do i use crankbait type lures like rapalas? so if I use rapalas, I should get the ones that r shallow.

johnbfishin
12-25-2005, 09:24 AM
Use 1/2oz sinker on the main line above a swivel, then about 2'of leader with your lure. If you want to run flashers or a dodger put these right behind the weight then add the leader. Flashers work better with a weight as this pretty much kills the action of a dodger. I know guys that run as much as 1oz trolling. At 1 to 1.5 miles an hour 1/2oz with get you down about 20' with about 60' of line behind the boat. All factors are variable...the more line out the deeper you will run...up to a point.

fisherdude4eva
12-25-2005, 09:40 AM
JohnBfishin,

Is 20 feet about the desired depth?

so from the main line I put a half ounce egg sinker, and then tie on a swivel. Then I have a leader with the lure at the end? Also where are some good places to troll in Del Valle? At about what depth do I troll? In 25'-50' feet of water? Im confused about the depth for trolling.

wetdog
12-25-2005, 10:24 AM
I think what yer need'n is a seasoned fish'n buddy ta show ya the ropes...try the hicthikers board best a luck ;)

b0nk
12-25-2005, 10:53 AM
Right around mid Feb Del Valle is a good bet. The south end of the lake becomes prime as the winds start blowing from the NW. Alot of Sniffers from shore and boat take thier limits. Most of the regular Del Valle Sniffer's been scoring with bait both from shore and drifting.

johnbfishin
12-25-2005, 11:24 AM
I'm confused about the depth for trolling.

That's ok cause everyone has their own opinion or variation but I think wetdog gave you some good advice. Trout generally prefer water temps in the 50's so that could determine where they are in the water column. To be honest my luck has been nill at Del Valle so far this year, the bankies have been doing well in the narrows using power bait but since I refuse to use that stuff....to each their own ya know.
Check out the fishing techniques here on the sniffer in the red drop down menu, there's lots of info there.

ken_fishnfool
12-28-2005, 10:03 AM
fisherdude,
Welcome to the boards. We've been catching trout in Del Valle in the top 15 feet the last couple of weeks.
Toplining a silver/blue castmaster or a small jointed rapala in orange or firetiger should give you a good chance. We've been doing better near the banks and points.
It is just starting to finally turn on...everything has been late getting going this year but it's been looking up.
There is lots of good info looking back in this board.

Good luck!

jdogg
12-28-2005, 01:18 PM
first get a fish finder,then you gotta find out the depth of the fish you are trying to catch, then troll at that depth.

Double_D
12-28-2005, 07:32 PM
I need to get in here and asks some questions.

1. how is Lafayette reservoir this time of year, I live two miles from it and never fish there ???

2.I will be fishing from shore so what size of rod,reel,line,weight,hook size,bait.

3.tell me what you guys think of these lakes

Lafayette Res.
Chabot
Shadow Cliffs
Del Valle

as you can tell I never fish local lakes,nor do I trout fish much, but I need to take a Six year old boy fishing,so this should be fun for him..thanks guys

johnbfishin
12-29-2005, 06:11 AM
Lafayette you pretty much need to rent a boat because of all the vegetation along the shore. They did stock Browns and Brookies in there though.

Shadow Cliffs would probably be your best bet after all the rain. This lake doesn't get run off, it's an old quarry so the water stays clear all winter.

jdogg
12-29-2005, 09:57 AM
caught a nice 2 lber a shadow cliffs last week on power bait,i'm gonna try quarry lakes this week end. They stocked it last week and are gonna stock it today or tomorrow.

fisherdude4eva
12-29-2005, 11:22 AM
so delvalle isnt going to be good rite now because of rain? where is another a good place to go? im thinking quarry lakes.

ken_fishnfool
12-29-2005, 11:27 AM
Del Valle in not on fire yet but we are doing fine. It's only muddy for the first halfmile from the boatlaunch then it clears up fine.

RolandMartinJr.
12-29-2005, 05:10 PM
Lake Chabot is very muddy and not worth fishing until it clears up after all these storms. *Lafayette and Del Valle are probably just as muddy, I'm asuming. So your best bets are either shadow cliffs or quarry lakes because of gravel banks. *Both lakes allow you to put your own small electric boat. *Use 6lb stren or trilene and tie a kastmaster or rapala directly to the line (trilene knot is easisest to tie). *As for color, firetiger has always worked best for me. *Experiment by letting out 30-50 yards of line behind the boat and fluctuate your trolling speed from 2-4. *Trolling in zig zag patterns catches more fish. *If this doesn't work anchor your boat and tie on a sliding sinker rig. *Add some powerbait or an inflated night crawler and keep some slack in your line. *Move every 20-30 minutes if you aren't getting bites.

As for rod use anything from an ultra-lite to medium-lite action.

Use a reel that has a capacity from 4-10lb test

Use 4-8lb line. I prefer 6lb trilene sensithin.

For trolling use firetiger jointed rapala. Or a 1/8 or 1/4 oz. firetiger kastmaster or gold kastmaster.

For dunking bait use powerbait or nightcralwer. First, slip on a 1/4oz. sliding sinker to your line. Next, tie on a small swivel. Attach a 12-24" leader to the swivel. Last tie on a size 14 or 16 treble hook or a size 8 or 10 bait hook to the leader. Apply either powerbait to your line or add a nightcralwer and inflate it.

That's the very Basic for the beginner. Hope it helps.

troutfish4life
12-29-2005, 05:23 PM
There are some pretty big trout in the bay.