PDA

View Full Version : Dead Set To Fish Amador Day After Xmas!..STUPID???

CraigV
12-25-2005, 06:03 AM
;D
Hey fello fishsniffers. We are dead set to make a trek to Amador the day after xmas (my fishing buddy more than me,but i dont want to sound wimpy).Pretty sure storms are rolling in on Xmas day and on Monday, with possible 1/4" of rain, and also some wind. Of course, the weather's not always accurate as you know.....

Havent been there in about two weeks.

QUESTIONS: ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
1. how's the water look?
2. debris pilling up?
3. do you think its gonna rain like heck?
4. gonna be too windy if 10-20MPH?
5. Any other DIEHARDS gonna hit it that day, no matter what the weather conditions are?

We dont want to feel like chumps by being the only ones out there in the middle of a freggin storm.

IM THINKIN THERES SEVERAL LIKE US WHO WANT TO GET THAT LAST FISHIN TRIP IN BEFORE THE END OF THE YEAR.

DO WE STAY OR DO WE GO....PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU MIGHT DO.

Congrats to Millertime on the biggest cuttbow friday.

Good luck in 2006, merry xmas,happy new year and all that good stuff. Maybe see us there the 26th,maybe not...also, my Bimini top is gone from boat. have plenty of clothes and waterproof jackets, oh and of course a bilge pump!!

STUDID IF WE GO???????????? thanks everyone ???

Dennis
12-25-2005, 08:27 AM
That's a decision only you can make. *Each of the conditions presents it's own challenge. *I'll try to give you some ideas on how to overcome them. *

Dirty water. *Look for windward bays or where the wind is coming out of. *Fish with the wind blowing across your back. This will push the colored water out and the debris with it. *

Rain can be one of the best times to fish. *The activity on the water's surface can start a great bite. *Just be prepared and bring along good rain gear and extra dry clothes. *You can always change over at the lodge if needed. *A tarp over head would be great but I've never taken the time. *I usually will sit under the lift gate of my Explorer.

Wind. *The rods bounce and it's hard to tell if your getting a strike. *Best I've found is to use a small 1.5" bobber with a open snap swivel for a strike indicator. *Place the open snap over the line between the first and second rod guides and let it take out about 12" - 18" of line. *When the fish hits he'll take all the slack out. *In calm winds lite bites can be easily detected. *

I have some other plans but will probably make it out later this week. *

I fished one day about two weeks into the 86 floods. *Water was very muddy and wind was blowing probably 20 mph +. *I caught a nice 18" rainbow out at Pardee fishing over the wall out of the parking lot. *Fishing partner couldn't handle the weather and he was sitting in the truck reading the paper. *Decided he wasn't having any fun so we called it a day. *

Good Luck. *If you decide to go, you'll probably have some memories for life. * ;D

GN.
12-25-2005, 09:44 AM
I just read the weather report for myself. I was planning on going Monday but I don't think so now. The guy who's going with me isn't a very hard core fisherman.

To answer some of your questions. I was out there on Friday and can tell you what I saw then.

1.The water was brown back toward the back and in doney cove but still had good clarity in the inlets and by the dam.

2.The debris was on the downwind or leeward direction. Find the windward side and fish that if you go. Otherwise you'll just get too much crud on you line.

3.According to Accuweather you'll have to deal with about .36 inches of rain.

4.Winds will be 7mph wsw gusts to 17mph.

5. You'll always find a few nuts out on the water in bad weather. It's been me on more than one occasion.

If you can stay dry and warm it might be a good day. If you have another day to choose from though I'd save the money and time and go when you know you'll enjoy yourself. It's your choice though. Do what you think is right and you'll be ok.

Merry Christmas to all.

jwilson
12-25-2005, 11:06 AM
We were going to go out Monday also but given the weather I agree with fishinagain, go when the weather relents and save the money for enjoyable day ;D . And again said, the bite could be great with the rain. If you have the rain gear and can keep warm enjoy the fishin! It does'nt matter what others say, if your dead set on going, your gonna go fishing!! ;D

Merry Christmas!!! to everyone and their families who celebrate.

Ho!Ho! Ho!

Judy

Dennis
12-25-2005, 11:10 AM
fish-n-again is right. Windward is the correct term. Fish with the wind blowing across your back when facing out into a bay or the lake. The wind will blow the debris out and away from your lines. The fish were concentrated around some of the points even some of the smaller ones and you don't have to be out more than 5' to 10' from the bank. It's your choice but Thursday looks like it might be the best day this week.

Good Luck.

viper2
12-25-2005, 03:22 PM
I am also thinking about going out Tuesday, bringing my son and his friends.

What time does the lake open? I am thinking about getting there around 6-6:30 AM.

Does anyone know the current fees? I will be launching my 19' boat and there will be 4 of us. Someone told me the website is out of date on the fees.

Is the restraurant still open? Three tenagers need a lot of hot food.

Got most of the fishing info from previous posts and from Survivor.

Thanks,

Paul J

RonM
12-25-2005, 03:51 PM
I'm not sure if the restraurant is open but the sign on the door said 06:00AM to 06:00PM. I launched at 06:30 and there were boats already on the water before me, the fees are below.

8.00 Per Person Fishing
9.00 Per Vehicle up to 2 people
1.00 Per Extra Person
7.00 Per Boat

Good Luck on Tuesday.....

Salvage
12-25-2005, 07:00 PM
I am waiting for better weather than what is predicted for tomorrow. Tuesday weather forecast seems promising although Thursday sounds better. I would enjoy hearing the reports if anyone does fish tomorrow.

viper2
12-25-2005, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the info Ron M.

I will be out Tuesday (unless it is raining cats and dogs) and post the results.

Gotta try the new Co-Pilot for the Minn Kota I got for Christmas.

CraigV
12-26-2005, 01:29 AM
Here we are again,the dead set fishermen, preparing to probably head out despite the forcast. man, my buddy just has to go, so i guess im not gonna wimp out on him. had to throw together a plastic rain top for the boat tonight after finishing our family Xmas gatherring, since my original bimini top is gone. hope it dont blow away and can keep us somewhat from getting soaked in the morning hours. the afternoon looks like it may taper off thru dark, so maybe have better luck in the second half of the day. This ought to be an interesting finish for 2005!!

Viper, let me know how you like your Copilot. been thinking about adding one too. which model did you get?

Hope everyone had a great xmas, and enjoy the new year and 2006!

ILL LET YOU GUYS KNOW HOW OUR DAY WENT AND HOW THE WEATEHR AND FISHING WAS, AND IF WE CATCH A COLD LATER ON IN THE WEEK.

Durb
12-26-2005, 09:00 AM
By the looks of the weather this morning. I sure hope you were on the water at first light. If not this will give you a lesson not to take the weather reports as a written gospel. *;)

Dennis
12-26-2005, 09:11 AM
Blue skys here in Elk Grove, but the satelite pics show something moving in later today.

dogfish30
12-26-2005, 09:51 AM
Hey viper2, You're going to need to take out a loan to take three teenagers and a boat there. ;D The weather is perfect right now. Wish my company, sisters, liked to fish. I'd be there right now instead of having coffee with all these woman. Can't even get them to talk about fishing. :-[ DF30

Know_Excuses
12-26-2005, 03:12 PM
By the looks of the weather this morning. I sure hope you were on the water at first light. If not this will give you a lesson not to take the weather reports as a written gospel. *;)

Amen.I was thinking of going today but the weather changed my mind.It was beutiful today :-/

Manteca Steve
12-26-2005, 03:41 PM
Hey Craig
I assume you went out. Hey let us know how you did! I called the lodge today 2:00PM a-lot of boats & a-lot of people on the shore!(apparent youre not the only one) Water is getting murkey,the water level went up 3ft overnight! But she still says it is still fishable! ??? :-/ :-X

CraigV
12-26-2005, 08:48 PM
Hey manteca steve....yes we went! i will post up a report about today. thanks ;D