PDA

View Full Version : Strange Fish......

FisHiNg_LeGeNd
12-21-2005, 11:02 PM
Double-Mouthed Fish Pulled From Neb. Lake
By Associated Press
Wed Dec 21, 2:21 PM

LINCOLN, Neb. - This fish didn't have a chance. A rainbow trout pulled out of Holmes Lake last weekend had double the chance to get hooked: It had two mouths.

Clarence Olberding, 57, wasn't just telling a fisherman's fib when he called over another angler to look at the two-mouthed trout. It weighed in at about a pound.

"I reached down and grabbed it to take the hook out, and that's when I noticed that the hook was in the upper mouth and there was another jaw protruding out below," said Olberding.

He said in his 40 years of fishing, he's never seen anything like it.

Don Gabelhouse, head of the fisheries division of the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission, said a two-mouthed fish was new to him, too.

"It's probably a genetic deformity," he said. "I don't think there's anything wrong with it."

The second mouth didn't appear to be functional, Olberding said. He has plans for the fish, which don't included mounting.

"I'm going to smoke it up and eat it," he said

http://www.comcast.net/news/strange/index.jsp?cat=STRANGE&fn=/2005/12/21/288694.html

Really wierd anyone else ever seen anything or heard of anything like this?

Trout_Terminator
12-21-2005, 11:16 PM
looks like the tung park of of the fish was cut. but as for me i have cought a fish with no eyes and missing almost all fins. but nothing like that :-/.

CraigV
12-22-2005, 02:16 AM
I got home tonight and saw this in my headlined news, and was going to post it, but someone was already ahead of me. i wish their were more pictures of the double kisser rainbow, but i assume it was dinner time, so i could only imagine now how this guy freaked out when he pulled it outta the lake. pretty cool. ive seen a double headed fish before on Fish Chris' trophybassonly.com website in the misc. fish pics. Go check it out if you havent already. check out Fish Chris photos, some of the ones he has taken are truly a work of art, and he catches 18lb bass outta Rancho Seco too! He is da' man!

I caught a deformed trout once. was fishing at Stumpy Meadows about two years ago, and landed a trout that obviously survived a broken spine. He was "STUMPY" to say the least, and the place i caught it was so appropriate. The trout was shaped like a football and about 9" in length but should have been closer to a foot long. I too ate that fish for dinner. Now if someone could just hook into a fish with a head on both ends, that would be truly something else!!!!

Mickey_Thomas
12-22-2005, 06:04 AM
http://www.comcast.net/data/br/2005/12/21/br-4223.jpg
You'd think they would have printed a better picture, ::)

FreshwaterFrank
12-22-2005, 06:14 AM
When I was a kid, I used to sneak into Felt Lake, off Arastradero Rd. in the Palo Alto Hills behind Stanford U. It was full of bluegills, bass, some trout, and they were easy to catch. We used to catch all kinds of weirdly deformed fish in that lake...mutants with extra fins, strange growths etc. The story told was that Stanford was somehow involved, doing genetic experiments of some kind. Who knows? We thought it was hilarious, and the weirdest one I ever caught was a siamese twin bass. Wish I still had it, probably sell for big bucks on Ebay.

vvbob
12-22-2005, 08:56 AM
FF
The movie "The Fly" crossed my mind when I read your post.... ;D ;D ;D

mighty_bite
12-22-2005, 09:41 AM
This funny looking mini mack came out of donner lake earlier this year :o http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/509/medium/594HPIM0574.JPG

Mickey_Thomas
12-22-2005, 09:59 AM
That's so ugly it looks like you did a "photo shop" thing to it ??? ???

CoorsLIGHT
12-22-2005, 10:24 AM
http://www.comcast.net/data/br/2005/12/21/br-4223.jpg
You'd think they would have printed a better picture, *::)

If you click on the preview pic you will seen the two mouths.

Mike

http://www.comcast.net/data/br/2005/12/21/br-4200.jpg

mighty_bite
12-22-2005, 10:29 AM
I busted a gut when I saw this fish ;D It had what i assume to be growth rings ,like on trees 9 when the head came off ???

mtalley
12-22-2005, 11:06 AM
Much better picture, Thanks CoorLight.

jdogg
12-22-2005, 11:11 AM
i caught a bass that was missing half his jaw, threw him back cuz his belly was fat so he was still eating. A couple of weeks later, my brother caught the same fish. ;D

riplips
12-22-2005, 04:18 PM
Caught a bass once that was almost completely devoid of muscle. It had a large head looked like it should have been about a 3 pound fish, yet it weighed under a pound. It hit the lure and then it was like dead weight coming in.

Rip

fenton_chris
12-22-2005, 06:12 PM
i wouldnt eat it! the things some of u crazy fish eaters do :P. i once caught a 15in brown out of the bear river. that i thought should of fought me more then it did. until i saw that it had broken tail, the lower end of the fish was in the shape of a "S". i wonder if the fish is still there?

Captain_Morgan
12-22-2005, 08:54 PM
Are you sure it wasn't caught in Rancho Seco? I've heard of 3 eyed fish before. But then again, I've heard people from Georgetown have 6 toes. ;D Hey Mickey, Maybe there's a fish chop shop? humm.... ;) ;D Do fish have access to steroids,Doc?

elkhorn98
12-23-2005, 09:55 AM
Things like this are pretty common at any hatchery. I have seen dorsal fins on the ventral side of trout, shortened fish like the lake trout, and fish with extra fins, etc. when I did some work at a steelhead hatchery in CA.

Wolf74
12-23-2005, 12:46 PM
Has anything anyone ever really caught something weird out of Ranch Seco? When I first moved out here I was afraid of that place, thinking three eyed fish etc. However I haven't heard of anything weird ever coming out of there. Anyone seen anything weird?

scooterd145
12-23-2005, 01:47 PM
I was fishing the Antioch pier one time when these guys next to me caught a small flounder. They started beating it and yelling in spanish. The only thing I could make out of it was they were saying something about the PG and E plant and pointing at it. after killing the fish they threw it in the trash, packed up their stuff and left ;D