PDA

View Full Version : Collins 12/14

kubfish
12-14-2005, 04:11 PM
Y U K

thats all I have to say and a few :'( :'( :'(

Only 4 other boats on the lake and 2 people on shore. Nice and quiet had the lake to ourselves. I took my 9 year old out of school for todays trip, was going to hit Amador but Collins is only 30 min away and I figured HEY its gotta turn on soon lets give it a try.

Anyway trolled the entire lake a few times, tried crawlers, all sorts of spoons a few plugs and then I had a panther martin gold blade/black body with yellow spots (its my LGV lure when the ant hatch is going on) anyway it never catches anything even at LGV and I usually don't troll spinners like that. But I told my boy to put it on and about 2 min later BAM nice 2lb or so Brown. It had nice colors and spots, I was thinking as he was fighting it OH ya a picture I can post on the Sniffer... That thought in my head was the jinx.

He fought it or attempted to, I should of ripped the rod from his hand but he has to learn. He had it to the surface when he went down for another round and as he pulled him up again I got ready to swoop the net and BYE BYE he JUMPS off the hook and swims to see another day.

I talked to the other boaters in passing and they had no luck. I talked to one of the shore people and they also had nothing going.

Soon enough. I didn't mark a lot of fish on the FF, didn't see any jump so I don't know whats up with Collins. This time of year always BEADS me up.

Water level is up about 5ft from 2 weeks ago and surface temp is 52.

trackertundra
12-14-2005, 07:59 PM
Koobfish, I am a collins regular also, and I have pretty much turned my back to it this year. I don't know what is going on. It was much better last year this time.

Tracker

Mickey_Thomas
12-14-2005, 08:07 PM
The one time that I've been to Collins they were planting a couple of loads of Browns, guess they are starting to grow up. Thanks for the report, maybe next time you might try some different tactics ;) What was the water temp?

SalmoClarki
12-14-2005, 09:19 PM
i was out there with my dad trolling there today. I talked
to someone in a center console boat, i dont think they had
any luck. We finally landed about a 18" bow on a perch rapala. I tried slingblade/grub combos, flasher/crawler,
nothing. I even used lead line out there. I tried about
4 colors by the dam. I tried toplining, deep, close to shore, far from shore. I have been to collins several times
in the past months and never had much luck at all. Also i
tried about 6 different needlefish (frog, watermelon,
firetiger, bikini)We never saw a fish jump all day except
the one we landed.

Captain_Morgan
12-14-2005, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the report. Sorry to hear about the one that got away. I have a feeling the fish are gone for the holidays. ;D

Farrier_Frank
12-15-2005, 07:34 AM
Sorry to hear you didn't have a great day fishing, Koobfish, but your story was great and I'm still laughing. ;) I've always said some of the most fun story's to read come from skunk days. ;)

kubfish
12-15-2005, 03:44 PM
We did have fun just not the fishon type of fun I wanted :)I am sure my son enjoyed it more then school.

Mickey surface temp was 52 Degrees.

They say plants start in Feb, I swore I heard they recently planted. I would think the lake still has a nice population of hold-overs but every year seems to be like this so I wonder whats going on.

Since this has so far been a mild winter I may have to try out one of the 5,000 elevation lakes to try and score a few monsters.