PDA

View Full Version : Changing Lyman Hooks

Reno_Hookers
12-12-2005, 04:45 PM
I am new to the forum, but have been reading and learning for a while.

I want to change the hooks on my Lymans (for use at Pyramid) and need to know what size Siwash to use on each size- 3,4 and 5.

My wife and I catch and release and treble's are brutal.

SuperDave
12-12-2005, 05:14 PM
RH's, I found different brands had a little different shank length. *I bought Gami's. *I don't remember the sizes but what I did was take a couple Lymans into Fisherman's Warehouse eyeballed what the right shank length would be. There is no such thing as too big of hook gap at Pyramid, so it is all shank preference

Mickey_Thomas
12-12-2005, 05:31 PM
Welcome to the boards Reno Hookers, I just use big red ones, don't know what size they are but lately I've been putting "no barb" hooks on and they work great for releasing ;)

fish4fun
12-12-2005, 05:57 PM
I used #4/0 Gamakatsu Siwash hooks on my Lymans up at Pyramidfest last Oct. They worked well.. Larry

Durb
12-12-2005, 06:00 PM
I changed my lymans and Tomic plugs out with size 4/0 and 5/0 Gamakatsu. Seem to work well.
Red ones mickey ? Where did you find those ?

FISHSTALKER
12-12-2005, 07:00 PM
I wondered why Mickey hasn't been posting as much. No barb hooks, Huh! ;D Nuff said. ;D

Reno hookers - Gami size 2 through 5 depending on the size of the Lure you are using. Many of us have changed out the treble hooks to Siwash on Lures that will work/ swim with them. (Trebles tear up fisher people as well as fish.) Last year we discussed the topic of Siwash replacements on Quick Fish and Flat Fish. I have found that removing all the trebles and only replaceing the rear hook with a Siwash attached with a ball bearng swivel makes for an easy catch and release without destroying the fish. The same treble changes are being made on spoons too.

drstressor
12-12-2005, 09:49 PM
I think that FISHSTALKER means 2/0 to 5/0. ;)

We had a discussion about this a few weeks ago as well. Mako likes to use a single siwash on the front eye loop fixed with 2 split rings. I use a single siwash on the rear eye loop with 1 split ring and a barrel swivel. I'd recommend a 3/0 Gami open eye siwash for a #4 Lyman. The size of the hook doesn't really matter at Pyramid except that the smaller hooks do less damage. Cutts have such large mouths that they just inhale a 4"-6" Lyman when they decide to strike.

BTW, Mickey uses the wrong hooks. ;) They are bent eye red octopus style hooks that are designed for holding bait. The bent eye can interfere with the hook set. But like I said, it just doesn't matter with cutts. Mickey till hooks up just about every strike. ;D

Reno_Hookers
12-13-2005, 04:07 AM
Thanks everyone, great info! I have changed all the spoons already and the Quick/Flat Fish idea is great. I will try that as well.

Somewhat like Mickey, I was going to rig a few of them with Red Gami trebles (barbless) on the front for balance and effect. The octopus is probably a better idea.

I have had good success with red trebles on the front of Bombers for Stripers, why not Cutt's?

As for that comparison, does anyone use trailers?

Mickey_Thomas
12-13-2005, 08:18 AM
BTW, Mickey uses the wrong hooks
They're only the wrong hooks if you're not hooking any fish ;) ;D ;D ;D

drstressor
12-13-2005, 08:50 AM
Octopus hooks are not a good idea except when using bait. For lures you want to use a straight point that is parallel to the shank of the hook. Hookups are more direct and there is little chance of the hook sticking in the membrane in the mouth where it can pull out during the fight.

Don't do what Mickey does. ;) He's just lucky. He could catch fish without hooks. ;D

CHICKFISHING58
12-13-2005, 09:10 AM
Welcome Reno Hookers,
I use the 2/0 Gamakatsu open eye it took me awhile to figure out how to do it with out getting the hook in my fingers I use 1 on the back only.
You will love this board a lot of nice guys and girls
Donít forget to get the stars for your boat good luck out there see you on the water ;)

Abe
12-13-2005, 10:21 AM
I had a brand new Lyman hook break last time I was out. I broke right at the point that the three shanks meet. Has this happened to anyone else?

drstressor
12-13-2005, 11:02 AM
I've had that happen on other lures. Mostly big salt water plugs with tinned hooks. They break on the strike or when you drag bottom. The person doing the soldering lets the hook get too hot and the metal looses its temper.

That's just another reason to use single Siwash hooks. They are super strong.

Mako
12-14-2005, 11:17 AM
yep, like Doc said a 3/0 Gami for a #4. I have a size 5 Lyman that only has one front treble, so I put a #2 Gami on it for a trailer. All the hookups were on the trailer.