PDA

View Full Version : Shasta 12/4

norcalfishslayer
12-05-2005, 08:41 AM
Didn't get out to the lake until about 8:30am. Ran over to the usual spots (Digger Bay, Toupe Island, Dry Creek, Etc) Wasn't marking many fish or bait to speak of. Hooked a 12-13 inch 'bow on a gold/black broken Rapala, top water about 150' back from the boat. Got it to the boat and it made a good jump and threw the hook. Nothing else the rest of the day. Off the lake at 3:30.

It was pretty cold, and the North wind was blowing hard enough to take some chop over the bow a couple of times. Water temps were 55-56 degrees. Other than the wind, the conditions were right to slay them, just couldn't find the right spot. :-/

Troutdraggin
12-05-2005, 09:53 AM
I was up the week before with about the same results...graphed a number of fish at about 120 feet under the bridge. But didn't have much luck.

cornfused
12-05-2005, 10:17 AM
Hope the bite improves by next weekend. Were heading up for a few days. Does anyone know if the lake just recently turned over? Thanks for the report norcal.

norcalfishslayer
12-05-2005, 01:21 PM
Hope the bite improves by next weekend. Were heading up for a few days. Does anyone know if the lake just recently turned over? Thanks for the report norcal.

Actually, we were seeing top water activity more than a month ago. But the fish seem to have been at different depths throughout that whole month. The water temp was 55-56, so I would say it has deffinetly turned over. When I was last there about 3-4 weeks ago, the water temps were 64-65 degrees.

ratss427
12-05-2005, 06:14 PM
norcal is right.in late oct ,the fish were everywhere on the surface.thanks for the report norcal.are you going out anytime soon?

norcalfishslayer
12-05-2005, 08:25 PM
norcal is right.in late oct ,the fish were everywhere on the surface.thanks for the report norcal.are you going out anytime soon?
Probably not for a couple of weeks. GOing to be busy, and will have to put the fishing on hold. If for some reason I make it out, I'll post a report...Good or bad! ;)

MrFisher
12-05-2005, 10:57 PM
Shucks, I was hopeing you'd get in to them after I talked to you, Frank.
I'm going to hit the lake tomarrow for a sight seeing ture with a few people. I'm going to meter around Joans Valley and the pit arm and the Bridge too if we have time. I know i won;t get out till late morning and Don't know yet how much fishing I'll get in. Hopefully one or more of them will be wanting to fish a little. In any case, I'll let you know what I find and if we pick up and trout. If they want to fish and i can't get into the Trout ,you know I hate to ,but I'll have to brake down and let them catch bass or two before comming in. I'm beginning to hate bass, think they eat all the trout bate. LOL Hopefully the Trout Just wateing for me to get out there.
I'll be out later on in the week by my myself and target them and see whats happening. Hard headed as i am I hate to come in with out any and I'd hate to think I have to bring my sleeping bag. LOL
Talk to you later Guys
Robin

norcalfishslayer
12-06-2005, 06:16 AM
Shucks, I was hopeing you'd get in to them after I talked to you, Frank.
I'm going to hit the lake tomarrow for a sight seeing ture with a few people. I'm going to meter around Joans Valley and the pit arm and the Bridge too if we have time. I know i won;t get out till late morning and Don't know yet how much fishing I'll get in. Hopefully one or more of them will be wanting to fish a little. In any case, I'll let you know what I find and if we pick up and trout. If they want to fish and i can't get into the Trout ,you know I hate to ,but I'll have to brake down and let them catch bass or two before comming in. I'm beginning to hate bass, think they eat all the trout bate. LOL Hopefully the Trout Just wateing for me to get out there.
I'll be out later on in the week by my myself and target them and see whats happening. Hard headed as i am I hate to come in with out any and I'd hate to think I have to bring my sleeping bag. LOL
Talk to you later Guys
Robin

Go get 'em, Robin. And let us know how you do.

MrFisher
12-09-2005, 07:26 AM
Hit Joans Valley about Noon. Metered a lot of bass inside the joans valley cove . Lot of bass Out side as well. Bate scools were small when you could find them. The bass were working them stedily. Metered what I believe to be trout out side by te rosk face, but not biteing in the 2 hours we spent troling there. Ran to the bridge trolled from pit side to just the other side of Bridge bay. Nothing metered in the upper 60 foot of water. A lot of Fish holding between 80 and 100 footout side of bridge bay. Wile dropping down to that depth (at aprox 70 foot)we got hit. Fish took out line fast then got off. Only one other hit (Top water)but through the hook first jump. Site seeing for a short wile for the gals and then back to Joans. Tossed out in joans inlet before pulling out. 3 bass boated, 2 small and one keeper. As I said before ,I hate bass. LOL But made them happy to catch something before leaveing back to Wyoming.
I believe with more concentration on fishing we could have boated some but would have to worked hard for them. Will try the pit arm later on, But the ticket just might be the McCloud Arm for the fall browns. I was disapointed to say the least. But, I guess you can't kill them all the time . LOL.
Best of Luck
Robin

Troutdraggin
12-09-2005, 01:33 PM
That was pretty much my experience on the 26th of November and two weeks before that. We started at the dam on the 26th. Fished Dry Creek, Backbone, and then the bridge area. In the afternon went up to the end of the Pit arm. I didn't see a fish jump on the surface. But did see fish deep under the bridge, below 80 feet or so, with many deeper. Didn't view any fish working shallow. In October, there were fish on the surface. Up the McCloud arm there were fish stacked in one area, but all we pulled out were small bass and a couple small trout. Wish I would have went back up the McCloud to check it out again the last trip. But who knows. Anyway, thanks for the report. May have to wait a while before going up again unless fishing picks up.

norcalfishslayer
12-09-2005, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the repot, guys. Wonder what happened to all the fish? it's weird. WE should be slaying them right now... ???

Troutdraggin
12-10-2005, 11:56 AM
That's what I thought too. Just when you think you've got them dialed in and have them almost jumping in the boat, they disappear or you come home blanked wondering what the heck happened. Guess that's what makes it fun. If you limited everytime, it wouldn't be a challenge. :o I'm hoping to get to Eagle Lake next week or at least one trip before it closes. I know it is outstanding at this time, but a little cold. Give Shasta a little rest for now until I hear better reports.

ratss427
12-10-2005, 07:35 PM
sometimes at this time of year.the bait balls are way up the arms.sometimes we had to go in as far as we could ,up an arm,and get out and cast for em.did you guys see any bait schools?

norcalfishslayer
12-10-2005, 07:54 PM
sometimes at this time of year.the bait balls are way up the arms.sometimes we had to go in as far as we could ,up an arm,and get out and cast for em.did you guys see any bait schools?
We seen very few. And the ones that we seen were small. We didn't see any action on the top at all.

Empty_Net
12-11-2005, 12:17 PM
there is an updated report at shatatackle.com. didn't sound like a hot bite for Miralles either, 5 fish in 3 hours for 3 anglers.