PDA

View Full Version : Shasta Help

cornfused
12-01-2005, 10:22 PM
We're heading up to Lake Shasta for the first time the weekend of 12/10 and am looking for any suggestions on fishing (trolling) the lake. We plan on staying on the McCloud Arm. Searched the Sniffer Message Board but can't find any current info. Looks like Rapalas with single rear hooks are suggested. How about trolling flies, grubs, hoochies, spoons, etc? Any suggestions on lures and areas to fish this time of year would be appreciated. Also slow troll vs. fast troll lures - which works best at Shasta? I will post a report and pictures when we return.

MrFisher
12-02-2005, 07:44 AM
Troling a crippluer (in Black & white) aprox 24" behind sling blade has produced a good amount of fish for me in Shasta. Bugs and the like will produce trout and samon but the bite seems slow and your fishing deeper water, Slow troll. With the cold weather most fish are top water.
Troll speed , theres no set speed, some times they are hitting trolling 2 1.2 MPH some times not and you have to slow down. Its always changing. If you don't have a troll plate or a kicker to slow down, and even if you do,if your not getting bit, I would suggest a zig zag pattern. Fish tend to follow your bate and this makes for a little faster and slower on Opisit sides of the boatwhen you do this, produceing strikes too. Don't be fooled into thinking all the fish jumping are trout. Most will be Bass, but you will see trout working bate too.
I havent been out in a few weeks due to that Flu bug going around. (Sucks big time)
But I would Work points first & bate schools if you have a fish finder. With all the rain, working water inlets of all sizes with weddingrings spiced with Night Crawler would also be a good trolled bate here.
Sorry I can give more up to date info, but this should be of some help. Hopefully I be over this flu and be able to get out myself soon.
Give me a hollor on the VHF, If I'm out i'll come back to ya.
Robin CH 69
Best of Luck
Robin

cornfused
12-02-2005, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the info Robin,

We'll try and reach you on the Radio when were up there. Sounds like were in the same boat - I've been home sick the last three days.

Pat

norcalfishslayer
12-02-2005, 02:26 PM
Troling a crippluer (in Black & white) aprox 24" behind sling blade has produced a good amount of fish for me in Shasta. Bugs and the like will produce trout and samon but the bite seems slow and your fishing deeper water, Slow troll. With the cold weather most fish are top water.
Troll speed , theres no set speed, some times they are hitting trolling 2 1.2 MPH some times not and you have to slow down. Its always changing. If you don't have a troll plate or a kicker to slow down, and even if you do,if your not getting bit, I would suggest a zig zag pattern. Fish tend to follow your bate and this makes for a little faster and slower on Opisit sides of the boatwhen you do this, produceing strikes too. Don't be fooled into thinking all the fish jumping are trout. Most will be Bass, but you will see trout working bate too.
I havent been out in a few weeks due to that Flu bug going around. (Sucks big time)
But I would Work points first & bate schools if you have a fish finder. With all the rain, working water inlets of all sizes with weddingrings spiced with Night Crawler would also be a good trolled bate here.
Sorry I can give more up to date info, but this should be of some help. Hopefully I be over this flu and be able to get out myself soon.
Give me a hollor on the VHF, If I'm out i'll come back to ya.
Robin CH 69
Best of Luck
Robin

Robin, I'm going to try and get out to the lake this Sunday. Are you going to be there? If so, I'll hit you up on Ch. 69

Frank

wkokaneeman
12-02-2005, 03:37 PM
Hey Cornfused;

Take a look at Gary Miralles of Shasta Tackle Company's web site.he keeps it up to date fairly well.there will be plenty on info there for you to check out.good luck to you!!

www.shastatackle.com

fshn_4vr
12-02-2005, 03:39 PM
Also try minnows under a slip bobber about 8 feet, we slayed them in October using this method. Good luck :-)

Budman
12-02-2005, 11:52 PM
*Troling a crippluer (in Black & white) aprox 24" behind sling blade has produced a good amount of fish for me in Shasta... Slow troll. With the cold weather most fish are top water.
... I would suggest a zig zag pattern...

My go-to lures on Shasta are also the Cripplures and Humdingers. Colors will depend a bit on the wheather but black & white as Robin mentioned and blue silver are always good for starters.

You'll need a set-back of 150 to 200 ft. Try to keep the boat about 30ft off the bottom when weaving in and out of coves and around points.

The guy that makes the lures prefers not to use a Sling-Blade when toplining. They are not really needed as an attractant as the lures, being above the fish, are quite visible. Additionaly, a Sling-Blade or Dodger might preclude the light lure from sinking.

I prefer the Pit Arm this time of year but one can usually get some action on the McCloud. You'll probably launch at Hirz Bay; I'd start trolling right there and head up stream.

The long term wheather report looks pretty good for you.

Be safe...

cornfused
12-03-2005, 10:41 AM
Warren, Rick and Budman - Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm off to pick up some tackle based on your recommendations. I'll post a report to let you know how we did and what worked for us. Hopefully we'll get into some fish next weekend!

Pat

MrFisher
12-03-2005, 04:42 PM
Frank, I hope you get in to them.

I'm ready to get out there,the body just isn'tquite yet. I'm still trying to get over this Bug. Meds were $87 for just 14 pills! Rather had spent that fishing. LOL
I'll be hitting asap,Thats for sure,
I know there some big ones just wateing for me to catchem. LOL
Let me know how you do.
Robin

norcalfishslayer
12-03-2005, 08:13 PM
Frank, I hope you get in to them.

I'm ready to get out there,the body just isn'tquite yet. I'm still trying to get over this Bug. Meds were $87 for just 14 pills! Rather had spent that fishing. LOL
I'll be hitting asap,Thats for sure,
I know there some big ones just wateing for me to catchem. LOL
Let me know how you do.
Robin

Will do. Three of us are goign out tomorrow. WIll launch at the dam most likely. Will let all you guys know how we do, one way or another. Will try and get some pics also.

frank