PDA

View Full Version : Del Valle 11/27

johnbfishin
11-29-2005, 02:22 PM
I hit Del Valle Sun. looking for some king Salmon but came up empty.
I met BigMinnow at the ramp, sorry I didn't get your real name. It was good to meet and talk to you on the radio and we'll see you out there again I'm sure. 8)

kstone44
11-29-2005, 11:25 PM
When did they start stocking salmon in DelValle?

johnbfishin
11-30-2005, 09:59 AM
When did they start stocking salmon in DelValle?
I'm not sure exactly but Salmon to 6#'s have been caught so it's been a while. I know they stocked fingerlings last year as well as Kokanee, I'm looking forward to the kokes for sure. 8)

fishguts
11-30-2005, 12:04 PM
They've been catching trout to 6# and never heard of the Kokanee plants. If anyone catches a salmon or koke, post a pic. This is interesting stuff.

Vole
11-30-2005, 12:29 PM
They planted about 25,000 kokes last year around April. Search the archives, I remember there were some threads on this topic. King salmon is new to me. I'm curious to see pics if anyone has caught any.

fishsearch
11-30-2005, 12:38 PM
They planted about 25,000 kokes last year around April. *Search the archives, I remember there were some threads on this topic. *King salmon is new to me. *I'm curious to see pics if anyone has caught any.

My recollection is the same as Vo's... Kokes were planted last year along with the usual trout. Have not heard of any salmon plants.

ken_fishnfool
11-30-2005, 01:49 PM
Yes they did plant chinooks 3 and 4 years ago... and a guy stopped by on his way back to the marina and showed my two chinooks (15 inchers) he had caught trolling by the dam this last September.(I think he is a "sniffer" but can't rmember his handle)

I know they were chinooks because shortly after one of the plants I caught three while fishing for trout. They were about 5 inches and healthy, at that time, and looked exactly like king salmon smolts I studied from a hatchery.

If you need to know more send a query to Norcalfishing.com ;D

johnbfishin
11-30-2005, 05:41 PM
I think they may have stocked it last year as well, my buddy caught one 4-5" long last fall. This was before the koke plants so there was no confusion as to what it was.

rfresema
12-01-2005, 07:47 AM
Nice to meet you at the ramp Sunday John. If you figure out how to get the salmon there I'd sure like a lesson. We tried to fish away from the crowd but blanked and went back to the narrows ~10:30 am just in time to see the bite die. A few bites and that was it for us so we packed it in at 11:15.
As soon as I can get a weekday off I'm headed for Amador.
Rick "Big Minnow"

johnbfishin
12-01-2005, 08:56 AM
Hey Rick, I thought I had them dialed in. My first trip there this fall I caught two on a silver/blue Apex down 60' on the rigger but nothing since.
I did get a nice rip trolling a large rapala through the narrows...probably a big ol' striper picking on the planters. I thought it was a snag but down 10 feet on the rigger and in 30' of water a snag is highly unlikely.

fishguts
12-01-2005, 09:38 AM
Has anyone acutally caught any kokanee or did the stripers have a nice meal.

fshn_4vr
12-01-2005, 09:44 AM
It's been some time since I fished Del Valle, I moved from Fremont to Lincoln 3 years ago so I've changed my focus to learn river fishing. I did used to catch some nice Kings there, generally down by the damn. I want to say they planted like 40,000 or so like 6 years ago.

dude
12-01-2005, 09:47 AM
I used to fish Del Valle a lot before I moved up to Murphys. The first year they planted Kings was 98. I caught several on the green croc. That first plant was bigger, 12" to 14". They were hot fish and fun to catch. Best location was in the narrow area just before it opens up at the dam. They liked the troll a little fast 2-3mph.
Good Luck

johnbfishin
12-01-2005, 04:45 PM
So my question is about the life cycle of the Kings, do they die off after 3-4 years?

Nope, no kokes yet that I have heard of but they would be pretty small yet...if they get by the striper's. A buddy of mine had a striper chasing a planter bow around his boat, the bow wasn't fast enough. ;D He dropped a minnow down and landed a 16.5# striper.
I'd prefer they weren't in that lake at all but so be it. I gotta say it was fun hauling in a 12#er last year that took a small spinner with a night crawler behind some flashers, then the next week I caught a 7# catfish on the same rig. Del Valle is like a box of chocolates...you never know what you'll get. ::) ;D

ratss427
12-01-2005, 05:05 PM
i can see your point john about stripers being a "pest"in del valle.but its still kind of cool. ;D i wonder how many unsuspecting people got their rods yanked in the drink by a big linesider?i heard of a guy that caught a 20#er on a flasher/worm . :o

johnbfishin
12-01-2005, 10:46 PM
I heard of someone seeing a sturgeon rolling last week, not that I'd hang my hat on it but I don't think that would be the first time. 8)

b0nk
12-02-2005, 07:12 AM
Here is my take on the Salmon. Del Valle has never planted Stripers but they have them. For those who dont know Stripers and most likely the Salmon get in there because Del Valle is part of the California Aqueduct sytem. You will see like a pipeline going into the lake and continueing out on te opposite shore.

ken_fishnfool
12-02-2005, 08:04 AM
True BONK but they have actually planted kings (chinook) and kokanes.
Those along with all the trout they plant makes for fat and sassy stripers and largemouth.
I wonder if they will ever put in Brown trout?

CJC
12-02-2005, 08:48 AM
I think browns require colder water than what you have in Del Valle.

fshn_4vr
12-02-2005, 10:43 AM
I was talking to my dad about this topic, he said they most definitely planted DV with stripers. He said it was quite some time ago, around the mid to late 80's. He said they planted a little over 2,000 16-18 inchers. Between 1992-1996 we caught at least 40 stripers to 30lb's too. Those were some great times I remember.

BuckFish
12-02-2005, 11:01 AM
YEP, that was ME out there a couple of weeks ago, trolling at the south end of the narrows, when ALL OF SUDDEN a STURGEON hits the surface and rolls (WOW) I guess it to be approx. 4ft. What a sight!!! Hey do they sell Grass shrimp at the marina store?

And as fshn_4vr Posted on: Today at 10:43am
The Stripers were plentiful back in those 90's for US,
I went out there many times with fshn_4vr and nailed them, there was time my then 7 1/2 year old son caught a 20lber.