PDA

View Full Version : Folsom Report

Vance Staplin
11-28-2005, 08:35 AM
Hi Guy's,

I took my son over to Folsom Sunday/yesterday for some easy trolling. We caught all of our fish shallow, three to fifteen feet deep. I found that speed trolling produced best.

All fish were small in the 13 to 14 inch class with a mix of kings and rainbows. I'm sure there are bigger fish in there, I just didn't have time to find them.

Vance

fishguts
11-28-2005, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the report Vance, sounds like you and your son had a nice day.

Munnster
11-28-2005, 04:46 PM
Hey Vance, thanks for the report. I was hoping to fish at Folsom this past Saturday but the north wind was up. Sounds as though things were enjoyable on Sunday. Any particular lures/color you were using?

Vance Staplin
11-28-2005, 07:41 PM
Hi Munster,

I started out trolling dodgers and flashers early. *Then I realized the fish were too shallow. *So I started trolling purple pirate(shad colored)Sockeye Slammer size 2 spoons tipped with about 1 inch (no more or they will miss the hook)of mini crawler at about 2.5 to 3 M.P.H.(very your speeds) on the downriggers. Be sure and not use too much mini crawler and don't feed it up the hook. *Just barely hook the worm on the end and work it into the middle of the bend in the hook similar to what you would do with a cornel of corn for kok's. Put the lure in the water at trolling speed and the worm should be flopping around like a tail. *I fished them at least 50 yards behind the boat in zig zag patterns from 3 foot deep to 15 foot deep.

Be sure and use a ball bearing swivel 6 feet up the line to help prevent line twist when trolling at those speeds.

Hope this helps

Vance

fishguts
11-28-2005, 11:34 PM
Great coaching Vance, I've never tried that method before with the crawler and am looking forward to trying it.

svtfish
11-29-2005, 09:16 PM
Hey Vance
where is a good place to start at ???.I never been to folsom.Im thinking about going this sunday.any help would be great ;D
Richard

jxpearce
11-30-2005, 08:56 AM
I agree with Vance... I went out to Folsom several times two weeks ago slow trolling lures behind a mini-flasher at various depths and didn't do anything. Then I decided to try fast trolling a naked #2 cop car needlefish and haven't been skunked since. If you can keep from dagging 10" kokanee around the lake, the 15" rainbows and kings are really fat.

I read that F&G dumped about 100,000 4" kokanee and kings into Folsom in spring. If all the 10" kokanee are any indication, they are growing like crazy and spring should be great.

Mako
11-30-2005, 12:55 PM
That sounds great ! It would really be nice to have a kokanee fishery right in my backyard. I do all of my Koke fishing at Bullards. This year I couldn't find anything over 14". If these fish are already 10" then they are on track to where Bullards was last year. I wounder how the quantity will compare though. Also, I know that there are some good sized Salmon in there and Bullards doesn't have that.

Vance Staplin
11-30-2005, 06:09 PM
Hi Richard,

I found most of my fish in the channel between Browns Ravine up to New York Creek cove on the south fork. *But this time of year the fish can be pretty much anywhere. I try to troll lures that work at faster speeds to create reaction strikes while at the same time covering more water looking for fish. When you locate the fish turn around and work the schools.

I spoke with a couple of Bass fishermen at the ramp that said they have been catching nice Kings and Trout in less than two feet of water along the edges of the bank while fishing for bass. *That means the fish are pushing shad up in the shallow's and munching on them.

Good luck

Vance