PDA

View Full Version : New Melones has fatty rainbows!

Fisean
11-20-2005, 08:35 PM
Decided to see what was happening at this great lake. Having never been there, Wife and I stayed the night at a Timeshare in Angel's camp with some friends...then this morning high tailed it to the lake. Got the reports from Glory Hole...and gave it our best shot. Fishing was pretty slow, but we managed 2 nice fish in the 3 pound range...these fish are footballs!! 2 LDR'ed and 1 thrown back to fight another day...Best lure was a rainbow runner at 40' and a cop car needlefish at same depth, the fish seemed to be hanging closer to the shore near the dam. Talk to several anglers who were experiencing the same luck...very slow. Had a great time with good people...I will definitly be back, I'll post a pic or two when my friends come back to town around Wednesday (Thanksgiving Eve)

Slim
11-20-2005, 10:19 PM
:o :o :o :o

Did I say wow?? :o

Nice!!

Slim

CJC
11-21-2005, 12:30 AM
That doesn't look like a rainbow to me. It's more like a salmon.

Fisean
11-21-2005, 07:20 AM
You're right that is a salmon from last year, on my signature...I will post pics later this week of the raibows caught at NM. Stay tuned! :D

fishguts
11-21-2005, 07:21 AM
With trout that big, has anyone tried a rolled shad?

Doubleheader
11-21-2005, 09:52 AM
Should be better in a few weeks; where you using the #1 copcar needlefish or the bigger #2?

Fisean
11-21-2005, 01:02 PM
size#2 with the spinner ...and according to Glory Hole anything shad patterned has been working, I even pulled a small rattletrap, didn't get anything on that one tho'...but ya never know. BTW I will have pics very soon. Gotta say I loved the lake, hardly any boats out and it's free to launch...how many lakes in Cal don't charge some sorta launch fee???? Nice fish cleaning station, at Angel's cove launch area! ::)

Finesse
11-21-2005, 05:02 PM
i agree with ya, NM is a nice lake to fish very pretty scenery. and i heard there was a town at the bottom of the lake from awhile back when the area was filled,homes, shops and all.

Fisean
11-27-2005, 02:21 PM
img389.imageshack.us/img389/8208/copyofpennyandseansbigones0ca.th.jpg
Here is a pic of my buddy's girl Penny and me with the big ones!
[img=http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/4236/copyofpennyandseansbigones8hn.th.jpg] (http://img55.imageshack.us/my.php?image=copyofpennyandseansbigones8hn.jpg)

BUIDB
11-27-2005, 03:41 PM
i agree with ya, NM is a nice lake to fish very pretty scenery. and i heard there was a town at the bottom of the lake from awhile back when the area was filled,homes, shops and all.

Yes, there is a town, it lies under and north of the 49er bridge.

FreshwaterFrank
11-28-2005, 03:23 PM
Yes, there is a town, it lies under and north of the 49er bridge.

Yeah, that's the old town of Melones. Also in the vicinity are several huge tailings piles full of gold from Carson Hill. An old guy I know was paid $2,000,000 when they buried his proven reserves..and they're still down there...:-)

Went out today & caught 3 around about the Carson Creek arm. I have a new favorite lure...Renegade "Finesse Vibe Silver Black Back". Looks just like a small shad. I was in Barstow for T-day, & I went to Wallyworld on friday. They had these things on sale for $1.99 ea. What the heck, I bought 4 of them. Tried them out today & I am a believer. 17-19" bows & 2.9 lbs. for the big one... Fat jobs. Probably would have limited but I was just fishing for dinner & I quit after the 3 in the box. Colder than !#$^&$##! but still a good day on the water. Lots of tentative strikes, I was fishing 150' behind boat and 30-45'. Nobody else out there, this is the time of year for us locals...he he.....

BUIDB
11-28-2005, 04:00 PM
It was 32 degrees at 8pm last night, I dont even want to guess how cold it was this morning. Fishing at melones, should really turn on after this next storm.

FreshwaterFrank
11-28-2005, 05:16 PM
It was 32 degrees at 8pm last night, I dont even want to guess how cold it was this morning. Fishing at melones, should really turn on after this next storm.

It was frikken cold, but I have this padded jumpsuit that has a battery pack & heating elements built in. Other than frozen fingers & toes I was nice & toasty.

Fisean
11-29-2005, 08:06 PM
It was frikken cold, but I have this padded jumpsuit that has a battery pack & heating elements built in. Other than frozen fingers & toes I was nice & toasty.
Sounds like a cool rig...thanks for the tips and being a gold-miner may have to do some scavenging next time I'm there...I also noticed some guys fumbling through rocks on one of the islands, kinda figured they were mining!