PDA

View Full Version : Tomales Bay....what to fish for?

SwillMonkey
07-09-2008, 07:56 PM
I'm hanging out with some friends who rented a house in Marshall near Hog Island Oyster farm, built on piers over the bay in the next few weeks. I was wondering if there is any type of fishing going on in that area? From what I understand the house has a deck you can fish from...any bait suggestions?

Thanks!

gonz_86
07-09-2008, 09:27 PM
hey buddy, the marshall area is great for shark and if you have a boat you can hook up some halibut on the west side of hog island. Try squid and pieses of herring.

CDK
07-09-2008, 10:17 PM
hey buddy, the marshall area is great for shark and if you have a boat you can hook up some halibut on the west side of hog island. Try squid and pieses of herring.
Yup! He's right.
If it was me, the first thing I would figure is how to land a big fish [in case] from your fishing platform.
Your not going to lift a 4ft. shark up onto the deck or even a big Butt. And their out there.
Next is bait. While the above mentioned will work, I would prefer a 3 to 5 inch shiner next up is a jack smelt about 4 to 7 inches.
Have a comfortable chair and some liquid to prevent de-hydration A book, radio or TV and fish the tide changes an hour or so before and after.
Now that's just me and I am jealous. Second thought if you need help just PM me. ;)

SwillMonkey
07-10-2008, 07:52 AM
Hey guys thanks for the tips. Is there anyplace that might have some live bait up there? It would be a long haul from Loch Lomond if I were to grab some shiners.

jdecker
07-10-2008, 11:17 AM
I just got back from Tomales and fished it for 2 days. No halibut to speak of, tried trolling and live bait. Caught a few sharks but that was it. Part of the problem is the infestation of 4" dungys tearing into the bait.

Happy_Tails
07-10-2008, 11:27 AM
You can get live bait in Petaluma on your way out at Costal Bait at 884 Bodega Ave. The best live bait is at Leonards on 260 Sears Point road by the Petaluma river bridge on hwy 37. Good luck

SALMON_SLAYER_1
07-10-2008, 12:20 PM
There was one boat at the west side ramp in bodega cleaning 3 halibut and they caught them in tomales bay!!!!!So they are in there now

CDK
07-10-2008, 12:54 PM
Shiners and smelt plus chovies can be caught in the bay
A sabiki ? rig with num 6 or 8 hooks tipped with squid or shrimp.
There are some butt guys at Lawson's that fish for shiners in the evenings and keep them in bait buckets tyed to the dock over night.
Don't see why you can't do it from the deck unless the tide goes too far out. :o