PDA

View Full Version : Lobdell Lake

FreshwaterFrank
11-15-2005, 11:23 AM
Anyone ever been to Lobdell Lake in Mono County? It's 1/2 way between Walker & Bridgeport, and east of the Sierras off Becham Flat Rd. from 395. Map shows it as 9500 feet elevation & I wondered what kind of fish might be in it?

Mark_Damron
11-15-2005, 01:29 PM
I've deer hunted in the area many times in the past but have never fished Lobdell. It looks like a high desert watering hole for livestock and deer. Never thought of fishing there. PHM

tahoetopliner
11-15-2005, 05:35 PM
Many Years ago we used to fish it and we caught Grayling out of it. This was in the mid to late eighties. Does not any longer host those fish to my knowledge. You should call Kens sporting goods in Bridgeport as they will have more up to date info. Fun lake and nice scenery also.

FreshwaterFrank
11-16-2005, 05:37 AM
Thanks PHM & tahoetopliner :-)

I just bought 40 acres about 5 miles away, & saw Lobdell Lake on the map. No time this year to check it out...next year.

Mark_Damron
11-16-2005, 06:07 AM
40 acres? Thats awesome!!! That part of California is some of the most beautiful country in the state. The John Wayne movie, North to Alaska was filmed in the area right off 395 close to the turn off for Becham flat rd. I've not been up there for a few years but I've harvested 7 nice bucks off of the same rock just above the Cal-Trans station near the radio tower, or at least where the tower used to be. The empty bullet casings were still on the branches of the sagebrush right where I left them. I hunted there in the early to mid 80's when it was easy to get a tag. Now it takes years to be drawn for a tag. My last hunt there was in 92 and I bagged a nice 3X4 off "The Rock", as it is now known. I have lot's of great memories hunting and fishing the area with my grandfather and dad. We fished the Walker river while up there and we caught some really nice trout. Sorry about the rambling post but that area holds a very special place in my heart and memory. Dam!! I love that country. I need to get back up there, SOON!!! PHM

tomba
11-16-2005, 06:33 AM
That lake holds the state record for Arctic Grayling(close to 2 pounds). I'd be surprised if they're still in there.

troutfan
11-16-2005, 06:34 AM
That lake holds the state record for Arctic Grayling(close to 2 pounds). *I'd be surprised if they're still in there.
The Grayling are long gone. They do stock some Kamloops.

roswalt
11-16-2005, 08:25 AM
PHM is right on! I fished bridgeport res. two times this year also one trip to lower twin. I agree that's the most awesome scenery California has to offer. My first glance of it was as I peaked Monitor Pass at day break, standing ten feet off the road two of the biggest bucks I've every seen.

Looking forward to fishing Crowley and Virginia Lakes next year, also hit the bridge a few times.

Freshwater, you bought 40 acres in heavin....nice.

-fishable

CenCoast_Angler
11-16-2005, 04:16 PM
FF,
Are you planning to parcel out some lots? If so, I would definitely be interested. Where did you hear about the property for sale?
Sorry for hijacking this thread.
I LOVE fishing that area---June Loop, Virginia Lakes, Bridgeport, Walker Rs, Green Creek, Twin Lakes, They're ALL Good for fishin! Not to mention the Rhino Bar or Doc and Al's!!!

PK

FreshwaterFrank
11-16-2005, 05:45 PM
FF,
Are you planning to parcel out some lots? If so, I would definitely be interested. Where did you hear about the property for sale?
Sorry for hijacking this thread.
I LOVE fishing that area---June Loop, Virginia Lakes, Bridgeport, Walker Rs, Green Creek, Twin Lakes, They're ALL Good for fishin! Not to mention the Rhino Bar or Doc and Al's!!!

PK

High Country Realty in Walker. John Elliot is the man. I'm not subdividing, & 40 acres is about as small as any parcels available out there...most are bigger.

seasquirt
11-18-2005, 11:12 AM
Hey Frank,

Yes, I've fished it & hiked the area...there are some trout in it but you gotta work it. Float tube or anything to get out on the water helps. This time of year they should be more shallow.......you know the drill. The lake does not get much pressure, there are some others in the area but their names escape me for the moment, I've spent a lot of time in that area. I still want to get that hike on the PCT in to Lake Tilden in N. Yosemite, 25 miles in & the trout are big as footballs. I've also spent some time on Relief in my miniboat, some decent trout in there, & you know about Donnells. I love fishing places where you are the ONLY one for miles.....

CenCoast_Angler
11-18-2005, 11:48 AM
FF,
Thanks for the referral/info. I appreciate it. Hopefully I will be able to buy some land out there someday.

And speaking of Relief Res, above Kennedy Meadows, THAT lake is loaded with nice-sized trout. Beautiful colors. I've lugged my float tube up there and also an inflatable raft a couple times. I always do well. The biggest I've caught there was about 22 inches and 4 lbs jigging a kastmaster in about 60 feet of water (portable fish finder) near the inlet. I bet there are some BIG fish in that Res. It gets very deep in some places. I forget the name of the creek that flows into the Res but it has some good fishing too---caught over 50 brookies one day.

Oh ya, almost forgot to tell you about my secret spot---where the water flows underneath the road to Twin. Try "the tubes" sometime---you might be surprised. I caught a 18 inch brown under there once. We had to net him on the other side of the road because I couldn't bring him back through the tubes against the current! LOL!

Good luck,
PK

FreshwaterFrank
11-18-2005, 01:23 PM
Steve, thanks for the info. I will probably not make it in to Lobdell until next spring, but I will for sure be there as soon as possible when it's open. Love those remote fishing spots. I was out on Melones a couple weeks back when you said you were coming up, but didn't see you out there? No big loss if you didn't make it, the fishing sucked. It was a beautiful day just the same, next time.

CenCoast_Angler, good luck in your quest. John Elliot is a good guy and he will take you all over the place to look at properties. Right now a large number of parcels are for sale, all by this one guy who bought several 1000 acres about 10-12 years ago & is now cashing out.

I know about the creek below Twin Lakes, what a kick. Very similar is Convict Creek below the lake. I've always caught more & bigger fish in the creek than in the lake, but my dad used to fish Convict in the 40's & 50's & it was one of his favorite places. Apparently, catching huge hogs was pretty normal there in those days.