PDA

View Full Version : Trolling flies? what do you prefer?

Trout_Terminator
10-28-2005, 06:33 PM
i heard a guy say that a seps watermellon dodger, with a black, or olive wully bugger. what do you prefer?

TS5655
10-28-2005, 06:38 PM
Jay Fair Flies. The Cinnamon Leech works best for me in all kinds of lakes.

TS

fenton_chris
10-28-2005, 06:46 PM
i found good luck on all of seps, but run them alone and twitch the rod. also been trying regular casting flys for them fly guys, they even work. streamers r good to. * 8)

Mr_Ed
10-28-2005, 07:55 PM
All lakes are different. Nymphs, streamers,wooly's, even scuds work. The time of year, water temp & clairity and weather all play a part. My best patterns for bigger fish are the wooly type & streamers. Lakes: Davis, Eagle & Pyramid.

wetdog
10-29-2005, 07:49 AM
Action disc in front of your fly no flasher or dodger ;)

Erreck
10-29-2005, 09:27 PM
I've never failed with a Jay Fair.

HOOF
10-29-2005, 10:10 PM
This may cause havic-but I believe trollin flys is no different than worms

drstressor
10-29-2005, 10:31 PM
Trolling flies = using artificial lures

Trolling worms = using bait

Get it? ;D

Casting flies wearing an expensive vest and waders = ???

wetdog
10-30-2005, 07:07 AM

Get it? ;D

Casting flies wearing an expensive vest and waders = *???

six figure income...just kidd'n even us po fok get her done ! ;) ;D ;D

Trout_Terminator
10-30-2005, 07:32 AM

Get it? ;D

Casting flies wearing an expensive vest and waders = *???

me when i am not fishing in a boat ;) 8)

GCinGV
10-30-2005, 07:54 AM
Bingo Bugs (a fly with a very small plastic body similar to a Flat Fish).
GC

Happy_Tails
10-30-2005, 08:01 AM
Try a black/white marabou leech pattern 8"-10" behind a sling blade or small flasher. It's the ticket for Steelhead trout in lake sonoma.

Empire
10-30-2005, 08:46 AM
For me it is cinnamon, brown or black wolly buggers. A tiny piece of splitshot, trolled with the rod in hand to add action.

kromebrite
10-30-2005, 10:10 PM
Bingo Bugs (a fly with a very small plastic body similar to a Flat Fish).
GC

I'm a believer........ 8)

troutpirate
10-31-2005, 10:21 AM
How do you troll the Bingo Bug, I have 2 but haven't had any success yet.. do you troll them naked? what speed?

thanks

kromebrite
10-31-2005, 01:18 PM
tip bug with a piece of nitecrawler, just cover the hook. Slow trolling speed. dodgers or blades all sem to work good with them.

SuperDave
10-31-2005, 01:59 PM
Here is a pattern I recently got at Cabela's and am dying to try. I bought it specifically for the smelt at Almanor but think it might work like a tui chub at Eagle as well.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Pod/02/32/64/p023264ii03.jpg

LippRipper
11-01-2005, 07:28 PM
My "go-to" lure is the tui chub pattern by Jay Fair!
Works everytime...

--Lipp

Erreck
11-02-2005, 02:47 AM
My "go-to" lure is the tui chub pattern by Jay Fair!
Works everytime...

--Lipp

I will testify to this! That d@mn tui chub of his has outfished me more times than I'm willing to admit! ;)

flatcom
11-02-2005, 06:56 PM
arctic fox flies by dennis pierce, an eagle lake must with wiggle fin in front of it

piscolabis
11-02-2005, 09:25 PM
I fish from a kayak. Black sparkly (crystal) Wooly Buggers #8-10 work in the E. Sierra Lakes (Lundy south to Sabrina) and the Sierra Co. Lakes Basin. A little chop gives the fiy a nice action.

Erreck
11-02-2005, 09:56 PM
...A little chop gives the fiy a nice action.

True.

I've also found that bead-heads seem to have a little better action than regular flies when trolled.

highlands
11-03-2005, 05:47 AM
This is new to me. I think I heard one of the things you can do is tie a fly 8" - 10" behind a watermelon dodger. If so, how many feet out behind the boat 50, 80, 100? If using 6lb. test on the mainline should I reduce the leader to 2 lbs? ???

Erreck
11-03-2005, 02:09 PM
I've used dodgers in front of flies quite a few times and have found that, over time, you get better fish (larger and more) with just a fly. No dodger. This is running identical flies and the exact same depth at the same time :-/. Bottom line, I wouldn't suggest dodgers. My thinking, and I may be wrong, is that fish that will only bite flies or natural looking lures/bait are usually more "spookey" than your standard planter. The dodger will scare away those pre-spooked fish and the fly will confuse the planters. Translation = less fish with that combo. :'(.

However, if you do want to run a dodger on the setup you mentioned, stay with 6lb. (if that's what you're comfortable with) all the way through. I run min. 12lb all the time and usually hook as many, if not more than, the people around me with lighter line. IMO It's the lure that matters most, the line size is waaaaaaayyy down the list of contributing factors (unless you're running 50lb.! ;D). Run it at least 75' back from the boat if you're on the surface. You can run it closer as you go deeper (i.e. 5' from release at 35' depth).

fishdude76
11-03-2005, 02:38 PM
Here is a pattern I recently got at Cabela's and am dying to try. *I bought it specifically for the smelt at Almanor but think it might work like a tui chub at Eagle as well.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Pod/02/32/64/p023264ii03.jpg

I've used that pattern and didn't catch anything. I particularly don't like the action of it. Now if you stretch it a little and warm it up some prior to use it has better action. Using it in cold conditions is not ideal. When I finally stretched it to soften it up it had better action and of course I lost it right away. But never felt the need to replace it.

FD76

Slim
11-04-2005, 07:08 PM
Black, Olive, sometimes white or crystal, Wollybuggers (Sometimes with a bead head) has been my staple. But just reciently I begain to add 1/2 dz strands of flashabou in the maribough tail.. This, I believe, has increased hits!!!

Learn that from Dan Blanton which uses Flashabou in his flies and found that it increased his hits!!!

A little twich in the line really helps!!!

Slim

SuperDave
11-06-2005, 07:41 PM
Does anyone scent their flies? To me, it seemed to gum up the hackle.

drstressor
11-06-2005, 07:46 PM
I dip the bend of the hook in Trophy Trout Butter. Not too much. For plugs and jigs I just put a little on the split ring. It takes very little for the desired effect.

hetchy
11-13-2005, 09:50 AM
Robs Fly Shop in Maine makes some beautiful flys that I tried on a limited basis at Pyramid last week and they worked good. The best one is the sneeka which has the same colors of the apexs that I like to use there. The pink lady also worked. The bite was off and I put a sneeka on the downrigger at 10' and started picking up fish. The pink lady we tried in shallow water with a 1oz. keel weight and got fish. These flys are pretty enough to frame but are a good value and do work. I'd like to try some with a trolling disk. the website is www.robs-fly-shop.com.

fish4fun
11-13-2005, 10:44 AM
hetchy, Those are nice looking flies. Thanks for the link. How big are the flies? About how long? About what size hooks?.. Larry

tahoetopliner
11-13-2005, 12:22 PM
We have used Saltwater Trolling flies like Alf flies or even large sailfish flies for Macks and Browns at Tahoe. At times we troll them all alone , at times behind a dodger to get the sise to side wobble. A small secret we have employed to some success is tie on a J-plug , fallowed by a saltwater fly , fallowd by a large steamer pattern. The J-plug gives the flies a very intense action ,and it simulates a small batch of fish or bait. Two concerns on this setup is keep the amount of hooks legal , and it can make a very big mess during a long battle. We had a 15l mack hit the middle fly only to make such a mess I had to cut everything and retie. Also the Frisky Jenny flies are great producers out of Idaho. They catch monter Rainbow each year on them.

burninfuel
11-13-2005, 02:30 PM
I bought a few salty tarpon flies from Guilley"s in 1/0 size and have had great results this spring at french meadows ,#4 brown's and nice 3# rainbows at the creek inlet with 3 colors of lead and jigging, the large hook drops quickly and I've converted my rapala only buddies over to this system. ;D ??? ;D

hetchy
11-14-2005, 01:01 PM
Yea Larry, Rob ties those flys with #4 Mustads. They are about 3 1/4" long. Got to love the names on some of those flys. Real downhome Maine. They are so pretty I am going to by some and have them framed in a matt for a fisherman friend. Make sure to click on the trolling fly link on his site since he makes lots of other flys. Bob